Old tile adhesive/grout?

Found 6th Nov 2017
I have some large format tiles to lay, couple whole tiles and some cut sections to finish of a job someone left unfinished 5/6 years ago. The bags of tile adhesive and grout have been in bin bags under the stairs since, some feel a little hard but will crumble if needed. Does this stuff go off? I have never tiled before, its a floor, but I learn well from you tube etc. Its only finishing off etc so considering trying the last couple of bits myself. Floor is level and ready, large format porcelain, grout black, will need to get/borrow tile splitter
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Bin it as the stuff is cheap and you can buy combined adhesive grout now. Just double checking that you're tiling onto a solid floor and not chipboard ?
Bin it , goes off after about 12 months .
Most stuff has a use by date on it, however I think you would be well past it by now. As others have said throw it away.
kester7635 m ago

Bin it as the stuff is cheap and you can buy combined adhesive grout now. …Bin it as the stuff is cheap and you can buy combined adhesive grout now. Just double checking that you're tiling onto a solid floor and not chipboard ?

solid floor but regards 2in1 the grout needs to be black to match?
Have you got plenty of spares? Cutting tiles is not as easy as you would think. It is completely counterintuitive. The less you score the tile, the easier and more accurately it snaps. It is so very strange. Agree also the tile adhesive and grout will be shot
psychobitchfromhell2 m ago

Have you got plenty of spares? Cutting tiles is not as easy as you would …Have you got plenty of spares? Cutting tiles is not as easy as you would think. It is completely counterintuitive. The less you score the tile, the easier and more accurately it snaps. It is so very strange. Agree also the tile adhesive and grout will be shot

Yes got some spares
Definitely bin it. I used some oldish coving adhesive once and it went off so quickly I only got one piece up

I've just done my kitchen floor and found it easiest to use a small angle grinder to cut the tiles, the tile scorer I had just wouldn't touch them so bought a £15 grinder from Argos + stone discs and jobs a good'un
psychobitchfromhell12 h, 18 m ago

Have you got plenty of spares? Cutting tiles is not as easy as you would …Have you got plenty of spares? Cutting tiles is not as easy as you would think. It is completely counterintuitive. The less you score the tile, the easier and more accurately it snaps. It is so very strange. Agree also the tile adhesive and grout will be shot

cutting tiles is something i have yet to master. one day i will do it. lol

OP - floor tiles are much harder to cut than wall tiles as they are tougher so make sure you can cut the tiles first before bothering with any tiling and that you have plenty as psycho states. I only stick a few tiles up on the wall every now and then as I can not cut tiles and you need to do so if you want to do tiling.

I use old grout and adhesive that are old and have sat around in the garage or cellar and they are fine. No problem at all, but then again I only stick a few tiles on so if you only have a few to do then you should be fine.
mutley143 m ago

cutting tiles is something i have yet to master. one day i will do it. …cutting tiles is something i have yet to master. one day i will do it. lol OP - floor tiles are much harder to cut than wall tiles as they are tougher so make sure you can cut the tiles first before bothering with any tiling and that you have plenty as psycho states. I only stick a few tiles up on the wall every now and then as I can not cut tiles and you need to do so if you want to do tiling.I use old grout and adhesive that are old and have sat around in the garage or cellar and they are fine. No problem at all, but then again I only stick a few tiles on so if you only have a few to do then you should be fine.

Not so sure I'd take Mutleys advice on using old grout, she seems to have a problem with tiles jumping off the walls
hotukdeals.com/dis…401
tinkerbellian2 h, 41 m ago

Not so sure I'd take Mutleys advice on using old grout, she seems to have …Not so sure I'd take Mutleys advice on using old grout, she seems to have a problem with tiles jumping off the walls https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/removing-wall-tiles-2805401

lol. that was a nightmare! in my defence, those tiles were not put on by me, if they were they would have stayed as i do things properly

i stuck 2 on last month and they seem to have stayed on so i will stick another 2 on next month. i only have 6 to stick on so at this rate i will finish the job in 3 months. lol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions