Old TOTP episodes found - BBC won't pay - RIGHT or WRONG?

12 replies
Found 18th Dec 2008
Apparently, a private collector has the following Top Of The Pops shows, that the BBC have destroyed their copies of

08/09/77 (latest "missing" complete edition)
10/02/77
16/12/76
13/09/74
28/09/74
21/11/74
02/12/76
16/12/76
16/04/75
12/06/75
19/06/75
26/06/75
30/01/75
06/02/75
03/04/75
16/04/75
31/01/74
04/02/74
04/10/73 (500th Show)

+ various "missing" 60's editions not listed.

This collection is for sale, however the BBC are not prepared to pay to recover these "missing" gems, as they expect the copy holder to hand over their footage for free and the copy returned after the BBC has made a copy.

What do you think, should the BBC expect the copies to be handed over? They do own the copyright, but they deliberately destroyed the copies they had many years ago. It's an interesting debate

1. Misc
  2. BBC
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. BBC
12 Comments

It's (TOTP) not shown any more so there is no justifiable reason for the BBC to pay.

If they still showed TOTP2 with old clips then maybe.

TOTP is a dreadful series..... MTV and the Music Video killed off that Mime show!

thekudos;3802292

TOTP is a dreadful series..... MTV and the Music Video killed off that … TOTP is a dreadful series..... MTV and the Music Video killed off that Mime show!

TOTP is great well it was when I was a teenager.

Banned

ryouga;3802561

TOTP is great well it was when I was a teenager.

hey post them vista discs before you start posting in other threads:whistling:

As you say, very interesting. If I'd have "found" them then I'd have handed them to the BBC. If I'd have had to "collect" them from various sources then I would probably want to charge some sort of fee for my services, or at least cover any expense that it cost me...

EDIT: Actually, the BBC should probably be obliged to recover them for their archives... I doubt that the quality would really be broadcastable, even in a documentary or the like.

the bbc should pay extorsionate prices for these episodes like we do through our licence fee its a swizz if i took that money from someone in the street i would go to jail rant over

I don't want the Beeb to waste my licence fee buying back rubish that they found fit for the tip, :roll:

:santa:

happy donkey;3802751

I don't want the Beeb to waste my licence fee buying back rubish that … I don't want the Beeb to waste my licence fee buying back rubish that they found fit for the tip, :roll::santa:

Why not? They waste it enough with rubbish like Little Britain, and dancing on Phillip Schofield.

sevensoily;3802700

the bbc should pay extorsionate prices for these episodes like we do … the bbc should pay extorsionate prices for these episodes like we do through our licence fee its a swizz if i took that money from someone in the street i would go to jail rant over

Yeah. Horrible of them to take that money from you without your consent and without providing you with some sort of service in return.

the dandy p;3802818

Why not? They waste it enough with rubbish like Little Britain, and … Why not? They waste it enough with rubbish like Little Britain, and dancing on Phillip Schofield.

You mean that ITV show, Dancing on Ice?

duckmagicuk2;3825060

Yeah. Horrible of them to take that money from you without your consent … Yeah. Horrible of them to take that money from you without your consent and without providing you with some sort of service in return.

Only the BBC is the one content provider, possibly in the world, with whom it is a criminal offence punishable by hefty fines or jail not to be a subscriber of.

dxx;3825157

Only the BBC is the one content provider, possibly in the world, with … Only the BBC is the one content provider, possibly in the world, with whom it is a criminal offence punishable by hefty fines or jail not to be a subscriber of.

If you have a TV, yes. They make some bloody good output compared to most of the commercial stations.

I agree with good old Noel Edmonds on this (which is odd). The licence fee is pretty good value for money. It's just a shame that they feel they have to bully people into paying it.

duckmagicuk2;3802596

EDIT: Actually, the BBC should probably be obliged to recover them for … EDIT: Actually, the BBC should probably be obliged to recover them for their archives... I doubt that the quality would really be broadcastable, even in a documentary or the like.

They actually did some pretty good work on the restoration of that Dad's Army episode they showed in full colour - from a black and white copy!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3476
    2. #KoemanIn, Thank You Koeman for trying to get Everton relegated!1219
    3. can i swap out ssd frequently? day to day stuff11
    4. Xbox One X Console £385 (in-store) @ Interdiscount (Swiss-France borders)22

See more discussions