OLED OR QLED?

Posted 30th Dec 2019
Discuss... I’m so confused, second Samsung led 3D tv now dead due to dark shading on screen... I need to buy a new tv and am torn between Sony or LG... Unless QLED comes out as the one to go for?!
Help!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
1 . Go into shop that sells tvs
2 . Look at Qled tv
3 . Look at Oled tv
4 . Buy the one you think looks best
24 Comments
QLED is really a marketing term. Proper OLED is what you want.
Edited by: "ra786" 30th Dec 2019
In the shops I find it difficult to distinguish between LED and QLED (also called Nanocell) but can see the difference with OLED. Having said that is it worth paying all the extra to jump from a 4K regular LED to OLED?
Qled would be my choice and recommendation.
Oled all day for me but depends on where your tv will be this can help you decide , Bright room Qled and dark room
Oled

Good motion your better with oled for sports ect
Edited by: "ashmac" 30th Dec 2019
OLED for me. Have had both and personally prefer OLED.
In a basic breakdown LG are pushing OLED while Samsung are currently staying with QLED.

OLED in theory gives you a better picture with deeper blacks while the QLED can achieve a brighter picture.

OLED can suffer with screen burn, so not ideal for things such as gaming etc.
1 . Go into shop that sells tvs
2 . Look at Qled tv
3 . Look at Oled tv
4 . Buy the one you think looks best
yorkie1230/12/2019 08:38

In the shops I find it difficult to distinguish between LED and QLED (also …In the shops I find it difficult to distinguish between LED and QLED (also called Nanocell) but can see the difference with OLED. Having said that is it worth paying all the extra to jump from a 4K regular LED to OLED?

Thats because QLED is LED (or more accurately, LCD. LED refers to the backlight)

My B8 OLED goes plenty bright enough at night - so much it can hurt my eyes so I turn the OLED backlight down to 60. Given I only get chance to watch films when kids have gone to bed the sole (minor) advantage of a QLED set is wasted.

'Proper' QLED panels which is what most of you thought you were buying won't be on the market until 2025. These will be self emmissive like OLED
As an owner of QLED and I love it, I'd say get OLED. But it all depends and what you watch and how often. I watch sky sports news plus also I game on my main tv. I wasn't taking any chances no matter how slim, on buying an OLED. If you do neither of these buy OLED simple.
Just to add we bought this 65" LG Black Friday hotukdeals.com/dea…517
The Picture quality is very good and I couldn't really justify paying any more (£549) for what are only subtle improvements .
The screen tech is one thing - and OLED looks great but you have to be careful long term with bright static logos - but the whole TV is important. Samsung dont support DV but do have a ATV app. LG had HDMI 2.1 in 2019 and some of the OLED brands support HDR10+ for Prime as well as DV.
So the whole TV is the decision not just the screen tech.
Edited by: "jwsg" 30th Dec 2019
jwsg30/12/2019 12:07

The screen tech is one thing - and OLED looks great but you have to be …The screen tech is one thing - and OLED looks great but you have to be careful long term with bright static logos - but the whole TV is important. Samsung dont support DV but do have a ATV app. LG had HDMI 2.1 in 2019 and some of the OLED brands support HDR10+ for Prime as well as DV. So the whole TV is the decision not just the screen tech.

Okay then which 55” tv would you recommend for someone who simply needs it to watch movies and normal everyday tv viewing... no sports and no gaming...
jwsg30/12/2019 12:07

The screen tech is one thing - and OLED looks great but you have to be …The screen tech is one thing - and OLED looks great but you have to be careful long term with bright static logos - but the whole TV is important. Samsung dont support DV but do have a ATV app. LG had HDMI 2.1 in 2019 and some of the OLED brands support HDR10+ for Prime as well as DV. So the whole TV is the decision not just the screen tech.

Looks like LG's are going to have a software upgrade to support Apple TV according to Richer Sounds spec for my LG - richersounds.com/tv-…tml
yorkie1230/12/2019 08:38

In the shops I find it difficult to distinguish between LED and QLED (also …In the shops I find it difficult to distinguish between LED and QLED (also called Nanocell) but can see the difference with OLED. Having said that is it worth paying all the extra to jump from a 4K regular LED to OLED?

I believe Nanocell is an colour filter, not a QDEF layer:
displaydaily.com/art…ret
chocci30/12/2019 08:27

Really? https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/qled-vs-oled-tv/

That link is rather biased in favour of OLED. You can tell by the language alone even if you're not familiar with the technical details. For example:
"QLED TVs are forced to dim their LED backlights". Forced? It's simply how they work. That's as absurd as the statement 'iPhone uses are forced to pull up the phone menu from the bottom of the screen' just because the author prefers android's top menu.

'QLED' doesn't signify anything meaningful compared to other high end LCDs such as those from Sony.

I believe it's nominally supposed to refer to the colour gamut between created by a backlight using single colour LEDs and a quantum dot film (QDEF) instead of the usual/older method of LEDs that emit the full spectrum of light.

And while Samsung's best implementations are currently providing the best and richest colours available in a TV, rival high end TVs using different approaches are not far behind - and better than some of the poorer implementations Samsung uses the QLED tag for.

Generally speaking OLED has dropped neatly into the AV Enthusiast's world. It fits nicely with the changes they're used to making (e.g. dimming room lighting) while being strong in those areas identified as a weakness in the well understood LCD technology.

And ten years ago it might have totally displaced LCD. But the industry has decided to move in the direction of HDR which requires more contrast through brighter highlights and richer colours - both of which are proving easier to implement in many ways with LCDs than they are with OLEDs.

So it's definitely not a case of OLED being outright better. If you've got a traditional dimly lit home cinema setup then it's likely the best choice. If you mostly watch TV with the lights on or the curtains open then it has less to offer - and if the stuff you watch is available in HDR or the room is particularly bright then a high end LCD may well be a better choice.

p.s. Quantum dot colour filters/converters (QDCC) are likely to be the next big innovation rather than an alternative self-emitting technology like MicroLED or QD-LED.

Using quantum dots to convert colours in place of conventional filters have all sorts of excellent effects. The narrower spectrum of quantum dots enables richer colours. Converting light rather than blocking it increases efficiency (and potentially brightness). And as the quantum dots are emitting the light in all directions putting them at the front of the screen in the colour filters means you get much better viewing angles.

Both LCD and OLED TVs use colour filters so this technology will benefit both.
I think people get too hung up about this. Whichever you go for, if you're upgrading from LED it will still be a great picture.
ces.tech/ should shake out some deals in jan, im looking towards oled.
Other point of you're an av enthusiast, is no audio receiver can pass through HDR10+, only hdr10 and Dolby vision. Even Samsung's own audio equipment don't support it.
deeky30/12/2019 13:22

I think people get too hung up about this. Whichever you go for, if you're …I think people get too hung up about this. Whichever you go for, if you're upgrading from LED it will still be a great picture.

That's the point though, qled is still led (LCD). Sideways upgrade, marketing people fooling the consumer, like LG and their rgbw '4k' TVs.
EndlessWaves30/12/2019 13:19

I believe Nanocell is an colour filter, not a QDEF …I believe Nanocell is an colour filter, not a QDEF layer:https://www.displaydaily.com/article/display-daily/palomaki-and-bertram-uncover-lg-s-nano-cell-secretThat link is rather biased in favour of OLED. You can tell by the language alone even if you're not familiar with the technical details. For example:"QLED TVs are forced to dim their LED backlights". Forced? It's simply how they work. That's as absurd as the statement 'iPhone uses are forced to pull up the phone menu from the bottom of the screen' just because the author prefers android's top menu.'QLED' doesn't signify anything meaningful compared to other high end LCDs such as those from Sony.I believe it's nominally supposed to refer to the colour gamut between created by a backlight using single colour LEDs and a quantum dot film (QDEF) instead of the usual/older method of LEDs that emit the full spectrum of light.And while Samsung's best implementations are currently providing the best and richest colours available in a TV, rival high end TVs using different approaches are not far behind - and better than some of the poorer implementations Samsung uses the QLED tag for.Generally speaking OLED has dropped neatly into the AV Enthusiast's world. It fits nicely with the changes they're used to making (e.g. dimming room lighting) while being strong in those areas identified as a weakness in the well understood LCD technology. And ten years ago it might have totally displaced LCD. But the industry has decided to move in the direction of HDR which requires more contrast through brighter highlights and richer colours - both of which are proving easier to implement in many ways with LCDs than they are with OLEDs.So it's definitely not a case of OLED being outright better. If you've got a traditional dimly lit home cinema setup then it's likely the best choice. If you mostly watch TV with the lights on or the curtains open then it has less to offer - and if the stuff you watch is available in HDR or the room is particularly bright then a high end LCD may well be a better choice. p.s. Quantum dot colour filters/converters (QDCC) are likely to be the next big innovation rather than an alternative self-emitting technology like MicroLED or QD-LED. Using quantum dots to convert colours in place of conventional filters have all sorts of excellent effects. The narrower spectrum of quantum dots enables richer colours. Converting light rather than blocking it increases efficiency (and potentially brightness). And as the quantum dots are emitting the light in all directions putting them at the front of the screen in the colour filters means you get much better viewing angles. Both LCD and OLED TVs use colour filters so this technology will benefit both.

Samsung just chucked a load of money at self emissive QLED as they've realised they're some way behind OLED and microled will be prohibitively expensive. Qd-led factory due to be built in 2025. Maybe they'll support Dolby vision by then.
Edited by: "MrKrabs" 30th Dec 2019
I suppose it depends what your priorities are. The latest Samsung QLED TVs are brighter and produce a more dazzling HDR picture and cleaner whites. However, as a biased OLED owner for 2 years (LG 55E7), I think OLED is superior in pretty much every other way: better colour accuracy and richness, deeper blacks, thinner panel, more energy efficient, faster pixel response.

The latest LG OLED models are also much brighter than mine (up to about 800 nits), which is more than bright enough for a punchy HDR experience. The deeper blacks and more convincing contrast is important to me as someone who likes watching movies in the dark and playing horror games!

Burn-in is often talked about with OLED. Most formal testing has shown that burn-in isn't really a major issue these days, though it does still happen (indeed can happen on any panel type). I did have to have my panel replaced once less than a year into ownership due to a big box-shaped thing burning into the image (affecting most colours; I've no idea how as I don't watch static content). However LG replaced it quickly at my home under warranty - the process was zero fuss and it only took the repair guy about 45mins. Been absolutely fine since and I'm still frequently stunned at how gorgeous the picture is.

With the recent deals on current line 55" LG OLEDs at circa £1000, that's incredible value and I would easily go with that vs the equivalent QLED at the same price (e.g. Samsung QE55Q80R).
EndlessWaves30/12/2019 13:19

I believe Nanocell is an colour filter, not a QDEF …I believe Nanocell is an colour filter, not a QDEF layer:https://www.displaydaily.com/article/display-daily/palomaki-and-bertram-uncover-lg-s-nano-cell-secretThat link is rather biased in favour of OLED. You can tell by the language alone even if you're not familiar with the technical details. For example:"QLED TVs are forced to dim their LED backlights". Forced? It's simply how they work. That's as absurd as the statement 'iPhone uses are forced to pull up the phone menu from the bottom of the screen' just because the author prefers android's top menu.'QLED' doesn't signify anything meaningful compared to other high end LCDs such as those from Sony.

Reading between the lines, ppl should do it more including myself
hinesh.patel30/12/2019 13:14

Okay then which 55” tv would you recommend for someone who simply needs it …Okay then which 55” tv would you recommend for someone who simply needs it to watch movies and normal everyday tv viewing... no sports and no gaming...

If I was buying today a C9 as I like OLED and it has HDMI 2.1 and the ATV app but it wont be long before we hear about 2020 models !
yorkie1230/12/2019 13:17

Looks like LG's are going to have a software upgrade to support Apple TV …Looks like LG's are going to have a software upgrade to support Apple TV according to Richer Sounds spec for my LG - https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/60-65-tvs/lg-65um7400plb.html

It was 2018 models and before that there's still no word about - TV manufacturers arent great about adding things to previous years
Ive got a ATV 4K box that does Itunes movies and ATV+ in DV and Atmos but thats another £180 when TV apps ought to be able to do the same job
Edited by: "jwsg" 30th Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants