Oled uled qled or 4k on 60" tv

Found 28th Dec 2017
Hi there
I'm looking to buy around a 60" or 65" telly.
Was planning on a Hisense but a friend has mentioned up scaling to an oled but I'm thrown by the differences.
We use Netflix, now tv and prime with a 38mbps top end broadband speed and mainly in a dimly lit lounge. No gaming.
Should I be worried about boosting my budget to £15-1600 or just stick to an £800 4k TV??
Community Updates
AskElectronics
7 Comments
Really depends what you’ll be using the TV for. I don’t think you’ll get a 65 inch oled for £1500 unless it’s second hand. I like the Sony XE900 for a non oled TV.
I have a q led in our bedroom and it’s very disappointing. 55 oled in living room is fantastic IMO.
OLED is a new technology with different trade-offs to LCD while ULED and QLED are marketing names for LCD ranges with the latest tech, typically used by Hisense and Samsung respectively. As mentioned 65" OLEDs are well over £2k currently.

A £1600 TV like an Sony XE90 is a better TV, particularly for HDR, but it's still early days and you'll get better results buying a second £800 TV in five years time than keeping a £1600 TV for ten years.

If in doubt I'd stick with the Hisense N6800.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves7 m ago

OLED is a new technology with different trade-offs to LCD while ULED and …OLED is a new technology with different trade-offs to LCD while ULED and QLED are marketing names for LCD ranges with the latest tech, typically used by Hisense and Samsung respectively. As mentioned 65" OLEDs are well over £2k currently.A £1600 TV like an Sony XE90 is a better TV, particularly for HDR, but it's still early days and you'll get better results buying a second £800 TV in five years time than keeping a £1600 TV for ten years. If in doubt I'd stick with the Hisense N6800.

Brilliant. This is the sort of advice I was after!
EndlessWaves52 m ago

OLED is a new technology with different trade-offs to LCD while ULED and …OLED is a new technology with different trade-offs to LCD while ULED and QLED are marketing names for LCD ranges with the latest tech, typically used by Hisense and Samsung respectively. As mentioned 65" OLEDs are well over £2k currently.A £1600 TV like an Sony XE90 is a better TV, particularly for HDR, but it's still early days and you'll get better results buying a second £800 TV in five years time than keeping a £1600 TV for ten years. If in doubt I'd stick with the Hisense N6800.

OLED new ?
kester765 m ago

OLED new ?

Yeah, it only launched 4-5 years ago, so it's unlikely to have been around when anyone considering a new TV bought their previous model.
EndlessWaves21 m ago

Yeah, it only launched 4-5 years ago, so it's unlikely to have been around …Yeah, it only launched 4-5 years ago, so it's unlikely to have been around when anyone considering a new TV bought their previous model.

So newish but not new as OLED has been around for over a decade on other devices that I know of but they haven't been able to scale the technology due to huge failure rate and costs of manufacture.

Expensive tech for deep blacks but if you normally have a reflective glare on your TV kind of pointless.

It needs to drop about £400 to bring it inline with LCD tech as it silly expensive for these panels.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants