olive oil ear drops usage

Found 13th Aug 2017
Hey, so I was stupid and tried to clear my ears out with cotton buds and ended up pushing any wax right to the back and now I'm deaf. The doc just told me to use olive oil ear drops and it should go away in a week or 2.

Now, I'm going Greece in 2 days and really don't want to be deaf while I am there so I have some questions about the optimal usage of the drops

So first of all, they say lie on your side for 10 mins with the drops in. Is this time optimised for convenience or for 'healing'? I could happily lay on my side with the wax in for 12 hours if it will clear my ears out faster.

Second, is olive oil faster acting than hydrogen peroxide based drops? I bought some of those and the doc told me he prefers olive oil and that I should buy olive oil.

Third, do I just leave the oil in my ear or am I supposed to wash my ears out somehow? I am worried putting water in will just push the wax back in if it has come lose so I have been leaving it till I have a shower at night before I was it out.

I have also ordered a syringing kit from amazon just incase I get desperate. I know the wax has to be softened first so I will probably take it greece with me and continue using the drops for some more days before attempting.

Thanks for any advice
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
12 year old son has this problem. I thought he was just ignoring me but turns out one ear 70% full of wax the other 100% no wonder he couldn't hear me! Doc gave olive oil drops to be 'given' four times a day started to improve after three days. Now he just ignores me for the hell of it.
If you use the peroxide ones two or three times a day (just put a couple of drops in and leave for ten to fifteen minutes).
Then you should be ok to use the syringe thingy when it turns up, follow the instructions on the packet and percevier with it, it seems like nothing is happening but then after about the 100th time (seriously) you'll get loads of horrible brown bogey like wax come out and all will be well in your world again, you'll be able to hear clearly and properly, and the constant annoyance and frustation of being partially deaf will be gone!
Dyslexic_Dog2 m ago

If you use the peroxide ones two or three times a day (just put a couple …If you use the peroxide ones two or three times a day (just put a couple of drops in and leave for ten to fifteen minutes).Then you should be ok to use the syringe thingy when it turns up, follow the instructions on the packet and percevier with it, it seems like nothing is happening but then after about the 100th time (seriously) you'll get loads of horrible brown bogey like wax come out and all will be well in your world again, you'll be able to hear clearly and properly, and the constant annoyance and frustation of being partially deaf will be gone!

ah ok, so they are more powerful than olive oil? I will switch back then and give them a go
I always find them better, i've used both in the past (i work in a noisey and dusty enviroment, and your ears will naturally build up the wax as a defence mechanism for both the noise and dust) and find the peroxide ones seem to work quicker.
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 13th Aug 2017
Agree with other posters - I've generally had good experience with Otex (the peroxide drops). More to them than olive oil which just attempts to (soften) dissolve the ear wax.

If desperate, I can't see how using both (with time intervals between) would hurt.
I would try and see your doctor and get them syringed as flying with blocked ears can cause pain and more problems
Just be careful if you use Otex or the like. Some people react badly to it and you could have a very red and inflamed inner ear skin that itches like mad!

If you use olive oil warm it slightly (DO NOT MAKE IT HOT!). If it's a little bit warm it'll soften the wax faster.

My surgery has a machine that pluses warm water into the ear and unblocks it, but you have to have been using olive oil to soften it for 48 hours before they'll do it (or it doesn't work).
palmerspepsi6 h, 11 m ago

I would try and see your doctor and get them syringed as flying with …I would try and see your doctor and get them syringed as flying with blocked ears can cause pain and more problems

actually never thought about this, will try get an appointment tomorrow
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants