OMG Someone has got my card details & spent hundreds of pounds of my money!!!!! :(

31 replies
Found 17th Apr 2009
I just had to scream to someone, Im so upset/angry right now I just cant believe what has happened to me.

Barclays Fraud Dept called me today to say that there has been suspicious behaviour on my account, over £800 has come out from various websites in the last few days, none of them are transactions I have made.

I have now got to wait a week for a new card, so I can log into online banking and and dispute all the fraudulent transactions, I just really cant believe it. Why me?

I am so carefull online, I have a up to date firewall etc, and dont use the hole in the wall etc!!!!

31 Comments

i had £30 took last week, but fair play they sorted it real quick, new card and refunded the fraudulent transaction

Still have no idea how they got my card details i'm ultra careful with this type of thing

Banned

Hmm sorry to hear that mate, im guessing you must of had a keylogger installed via a trojan(that was undetected) or maybe you come across a false login page? whatever the reason hope ou get your money back.

ide be gutted if that happened to me... although £2.60 wouldnt really get them much.

Your bank should sort it for you no probs Bryan so try not to worry too much

Easier said than done I know

(btw I gave you the wrong number, will clear my pm's and give it you)

Have you contacted the police about it.?
If any items have been purchased online in the UK it would be interesting to know what delivery address was used.

Same happened to me with the halifax might not have got your card details from on line could have happened anywhere you use it. SO ANNOYING ( & worse ) when this happens. Feel free to shout and scream

woah that sux
hope you get it sorted and i guess this reflects the fact that fraud is on the rise.

My OH went to use his card somewhere a while back and had it refused, phoned the bank and they said his card had been cancelled as a fraud had been uncovered at a local petrol station and he had used his card there.

It can happen in so many ways, there might be nothing wrong with your pc.

i had 2 faudulent claims on my account that barklays repeatedly screwed up so i feel for you mate you are in for a world of pain trying to deal with them i canceled my acc with barklays over it now with hsbc they seem to be great good luck on getting it sorted though matey

Must be a horrible feeling when you find out, but as said your card provider should sort it out prety quickly for you.

Happened to my niece twice 1st time for £1500.00 and the 2nd for £4000.00 got it sorted both times.
(she is still not security minded even after this, think she would have been extra careful after the 1st time)

Happens to the best of us OP

Keyloggers are rare,its usually using your card online etc where it happens.

Play.com & Carphone Warehouse are "known" for it.

[COLOR="Purple"]same happened to me a couple of weeks ago..
mine details were used at play.com
so just be careful, i daren't use play.com again!![/COLOR]

ChipSticks;4953648

My OH went to use his card somewhere a while back and had it refused, … My OH went to use his card somewhere a while back and had it refused, phoned the bank and they said his card had been cancelled as a fraud had been uncovered at a local petrol station and he had used his card there.It can happen in so many ways, there might be nothing wrong with your pc.

Same happened to my other half, Natwest - sorted it very fast

he only uses the card in Asda & petrol stations

play.com???? are you serious????

JO-JO;4953713

[COLOR="Purple"]same happened to me a couple of weeks ago..mine details … [COLOR="Purple"]same happened to me a couple of weeks ago..mine details were used at play.comso just be careful, i daren't use play.com again!![/COLOR]

Do you mean that somebody used you details to buy something from Play or are you certain that they were given out by Play for some reason?

starsparkle2311;4953687

hmmmm, I guess it depends on the transactions, Barclays picked up on mine … hmmmm, I guess it depends on the transactions, Barclays picked up on mine because there were a lot of 1p Vodaphone transactions going on, they(the robbers) were obviously testing my card out before they tried to cash in:)

true but barklays were just terrible to deal with even after i went through the proper motions when you go in the branch to sort it out they point at the phones and tell people to ring customer service and they canceled my card twice for the same thing they really were shocking also when i expressed i wasnt happy they gave me a leaflet and told mre to contact the financial ombudsman they didnt care it was only £27.00 as well

grahamh1981;4953848

true but barklays were just terrible to deal with even after i went … true but barklays were just terrible to deal with even after i went through the proper motions when you go in the branch to sort it out they point at the phones and tell people to ring customer service and they canceled my card twice for the same thing they really were shocking also when i expressed i wasnt happy they gave me a leaflet and told mre to contact the financial ombudsman they didnt care it was only £27.00 as well

Banklays branches are useless for anything more difficult than banking a cheque in my experience. Their management are even worse - they are in serious need of an **** and elbow recognition course.

Spod;4953886

Banklays branches are useless for anything more difficult than banking a … Banklays branches are useless for anything more difficult than banking a cheque in my experience. Their management are even worse - they are in serious need of an **** and elbow recognition course.

lol heat and rep duley added made me chuckle that did

Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I got details of all the recent transactions off barcalys, they couldnt do anything till I get my new card. I called all the companies involved myself (dreams beds store was one of them) They were super helpful, they managed to find the transaction straight away, and even gave me all the details of the person who tried to use my card (even his mobile number), they cancelled the order and a refund has been processed. The other companies involved where less helpfull so will have to wait for barclays to sort that out, I am just so shocked.

hubbys business account was targeted....somone had made a fake card using his details and was spending in CANADA.... he didnt realise till natwest rang to tell him!

Bryan839;4954099

Thanks everyone, I got details of all the recent transactions off … Thanks everyone, I got details of all the recent transactions off barcalys, they couldnt do anything till I get my new card. I called all the companies involved myself (dreams beds store was one of them) They were super helpful, they managed to find the transaction straight away, and even gave me all the details of the person who tried to use my card (even his mobile number), they cancelled the order and a refund has been processed. The other companies involved where less helpfull so will have to wait for barclays to sort that out, I am just so shocked.

omg are u gonna call him?!

thought this had happened to me, but it was amazon prime taking my yearly membership! haha

Presumably you will pass the details on to the police / bank that Dream Beds gave you?

My OH got a spanking new Barclaycard - can claim fuel back for work so apportioned this card for that purpose.

1 transaction. At a fairly local filling station - within 4 days - £3000 spent in OZ on Furniture and £2500 spent in California on FLOWERS?!?!?!

Despite 1 transaction, apparently there wasn't enough info to setup an investigation . . . got the balances wiped obviously but wtf?!?!?!

Banned

If you give me your bank details i'll look into it for you

That's rubbish, happens to the best of us nowadays unfortunately A work colleague had someone set up to collect their mail from the post office, and they were taking out loans in their names against their mortgage etc, really scary stuff.

Does fraud happen mostly to Barclays customers? I it happened with my Barclaycard too!!! :thinking:

same happened to me they spent 1200. 00 on line with john lewis but bank was quick to sort it out but i agree its a right pain

omg, you must be furious and upset.

I hope Barclays hurries up and sorts it out for you.

Our bank didn't make us wait a moment, they simply sent the activitiy they thought was fraudulent to another dept to be analysed, credited us back our money instantaneously and ordered us new cards etc that very day.

Oh I'm sorry for you, must be a terrible feeling when you find what's happened.

Hope it all gets sorted for you as soon as possible

Spod;4953832

Do you mean that somebody used you details to buy something from Play or … Do you mean that somebody used you details to buy something from Play or are you certain that they were given out by Play for some reason?

[COLOR="Purple"]somebody used my details and ordered stuff to an address in london, had an email confirmation with name and address, but police were not interested..[/COLOR]

Original Poster

Thanks for all the help everyone, I called barclays today, still havnt recieved my new card, and they wont launch an investigation till the transactions show up on the statement which 'hopefully' will be by friday. :x
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I5 7600k vs i5 740011
    2. Computer upgrades89
    3. Invisalign dental braces in London22
    4. Whey protien629

See more discussions