OMG! the things touts will do to sell tickets.

50 replies
Found 22nd Feb 2010
See post one: From the link - Read the important bit in the description.

1. Misc
  2. Ticket
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Ticket
50 Comments

Original Poster

Fealbay Item number: 190374869235

well its says:
IMPORTANT: ALL TICKETS FOR THIS SHOW ARE BOX OFFICE COLLECTION ONLY. I CAN EITHER SEND YOU THE BOOKING CONFIRMATION & CARD USED TO PURCHASE THE TICKETS, ALLOWING YOU TO COLLECT THE TICKETS FROM THE BOX OFFICE, OR I CAN MEET YOU THERE ON THE NIGHT.

post item number

Latinosharkey;7914235

]Linky

linky no worky

Original Poster

one sec

Original Poster

Can I not link to ebay?

Arghhh don't upset me,i missed out on tickets on Saturday,so annoying when they end up on Ebay.

I wouldn't buy any on there out of principle though.

Latinosharkey;7914301

Can I not link to ebay?

nope

Original Poster

deb8z;7914340

Arghhh don't upset me,i missed out on tickets on Saturday,so annoying … Arghhh don't upset me,i missed out on tickets on Saturday,so annoying when they end up on Ebay.I wouldn't buy any on there out of principle though.

Same here.

And the money was going to charity too,some people have no shame.

Banned

deb8z;7914361

And the money was going to charity too,some people have no shame.

The charity gets the same amount as they would have don't they?

Capitalism my dear.

It is shocking there is demand for Peter Kay tickets.

Banned

dananana;7914559

I think it's a northern thing:thinking:

Original Poster

dananana;7914559

I think once it comes to him performing the big shows (MEN arena etc) I think the tickets on ebay will go for pennies. There is to many out there and a lot of ticket shops still have tickets left at retail price (seetickets have i think).

I despise ticket touts-as someone who attends a lot of gigs,it really annoys me that these lowloifes always seem to get tickets for hard to get gigs.

Getmein are actually worse-officially owned by ticketmaster,they claim that fans who "cant make the gig" can use the site to sell to "other fans"-yea right-tm are clearly siphoning off tickets they are meant to sell to the public,charging hundreds of quid for them and then adding a booking fee of about 30 quid per ticket!

Successive governments have bottled out of making this illegal-how hard would it be to upload a photo of yourself to the ticketmaster site,the way glastonbury do it and they print your pic on the ticket? If the photo doesnt match the ticketholder then its invalid therefore useless to touts.

Banned

deb8z;7914340

Arghhh don't upset me,i missed out on tickets on Saturday,so annoying … Arghhh don't upset me,i missed out on tickets on Saturday,so annoying when they end up on Ebay.I wouldn't buy any on there out of principle though.

ive bought numerous tickets from there and most have been for less than face value

Original Poster

barky;7914808

I despise ticket touts-as someone who attends a lot of gigs,it really … I despise ticket touts-as someone who attends a lot of gigs,it really annoys me that these lowloifes always seem to get tickets for hard to get gigs.Getmein are actually worse-officially owned by ticketmaster,they claim that fans who "cant make the gig" can use the site to sell to "other fans"-yea right-tm are clearly siphoning off tickets they are meant to sell to the public,charging hundreds of quid for them and then adding a booking fee of about 30 quid per ticket!Successive governments have bottled out of making this illegal-how hard would it be to upload a photo of yourself to the ticketmaster site,the way glastonbury do it and they print your pic on the ticket? If the photo doesnt match the ticketholder then its invalid therefore useless to touts.

Very good point barky. Would stop touting, but all the government is bothered about is getting tax, tax on the original sale of the ticket, tax on the artist and tax on sale from the tout through ebay (oh and tax on paypal.) lol

Banned

barky;7914808

I despise ticket touts-as someone who attends a lot of gigs,it really … I despise ticket touts-as someone who attends a lot of gigs,it really annoys me that these lowloifes always seem to get tickets for hard to get gigs.Getmein are actually worse-officially owned by ticketmaster,they claim that fans who "cant make the gig" can use the site to sell to "other fans"-yea right-tm are clearly siphoning off tickets they are meant to sell to the public,charging hundreds of quid for them and then adding a booking fee of about 30 quid per ticket!Successive governments have bottled out of making this illegal-how hard would it be to upload a photo of yourself to the ticketmaster site,the way glastonbury do it and they print your pic on the ticket? If the photo doesnt match the ticketholder then its invalid therefore useless to touts.

Who the hell would pay £299 for two tickets to see anyone. At a push I'd pay it to see someone like the Rolling Stones perhaps.

Makes it difficult to transfer in legitimate circumstances, it must happen to everyone at some point when you can't make it to a gig or a friend drops out. But yeah I hate touts, they should just restrict tickets to 2 per person (address/credit card), I know touts will have multiple credit cards but it would make it more awkward surely?

I agree with Barky.
Really annoys me that genuine music fans lose out on chance to buy concerts tickets because greedy people are buying them to sell on .
T in the Park being prime example .
They sell on Ebay for far more than paid for :x

I think lowlife is a bit strong. I have bought and sold tickets on ebay before for big profit.

If I go on the ticket website and can buy 20 tickets for £20 a piece and sell them for £50 a piece then i am giong to make an easy £600 for absolutely no effort.

I don't agree with it but i am not going to turn down free money. It is up the ticket agencies to stop people doing exactly that.

Banned

thats why most tickets arent sent out til a week before the gig and the reason why i manage to pick up so many tickets at less than face value

as for photos on all tickets that is just ridiculous im afraid

I thinks its unfair to restrict sales to 2 per person because there might be 3 or 4 of you going to a concert and you run the risk of your mates not getting through in time etc.
In my case i have taken my kids(well they are hardly kids,offspring lol) to concerts that if sale restrictions were 2 per person i couldnt have done that.
Dont know how to police it but it should be policed !!

Banned

greg_68;7914869

I think lowlife is a bit strong. I have bought and sold tickets on ebay … I think lowlife is a bit strong. I have bought and sold tickets on ebay before for big profit.If I go on the ticket website and can buy 20 tickets for £20 a piece and sell them for £50 a piece then i am giong to make an easy £600 for absolutely no effort.I don't agree with it but i am not going to turn down free money. It is up the ticket agencies to stop people doing exactly that.

This is why a restriction on the amount to be bought by an individual should be in place. Most "touts" aren't touts in the traditional sense, eBay has created the "casual tout" like Greg_68 who probably make up most the eBay ticket sales these days. I'm sure if Greg_68 could only buy 2 tickets using his billing address it would make it a lot more awkward for him to buy 20 tickets.

As for arguing about needing to buy more than two for a large party of friends to go, well I'm sure they can all sort themselves out, and as there aren't as many people ordering multiples they should haven't as much issue getting hold of a ticket.

There is a dead easy way to stop ticket touting today.

Only sell tickets from the ticket office in person, limit it to 2 per person. This way if you really want a ticket then you are guaranteed to get one just like before online sales started.

This will never happen though as venues can sell them online for more profit and at the end of the day events sell out much quicker now due to the ebay phenonomomonmonm

Banned

barky;7914808

I despise ticket touts-as someone who attends a lot of gigs,it really … I despise ticket touts-as someone who attends a lot of gigs,it really annoys me that these lowloifes always seem to get tickets for hard to get gigs.

As someone who attends a lot of gigs, one would have thought you'd know how to get tickets either in pre-sales, priority tickets or just by knowing the right people.

It shouldn't be made illegal, nor should it change.

I've picked up tickets for sold out shows a few days before gigs, I've also had to offload tickets when I couldn't go.

It's capitalism pure and simple. Can't afford the tickets at their 'market' value then sacrifice something else, work harder or go to smaller gigs where the tickets are cheaper.

master_chief;7914946

This is why a restriction on the amount to be bought by an individual … This is why a restriction on the amount to be bought by an individual should be in place. Most "touts" aren't touts in the traditional sense, eBay has created the "casual tout" like Greg_68 who probably make up most the eBay ticket sales these days. I'm sure if Greg_68 could only buy 2 tickets using his billing address it would make it a lot more awkward for him to buy 20 tickets. As for arguing about needing to buy more than two for a large party of friends to go, well I'm sure they can all sort themselves out, and as there aren't as many people ordering multiples they should haven't as much issue getting hold of a ticket.

Good point but touts would probably set up multiple billing addresses.

Banned

master_chief;7914946

As for arguing about needing to buy more than two for a large party of … As for arguing about needing to buy more than two for a large party of friends to go, well I'm sure they can all sort themselves out, and as there aren't as many people ordering multiples they should haven't as much issue getting hold of a ticket.

So if 6 people want to go to a gig where there's seating, they have to make 3 transactions and hope they're sat near each other?

Banned

greg_68;7914967

they do as most ticket companies have set limits on the amount you can purchase

Banned

skinner7408;7914902

I thinks its unfair to restrict sales to 2 per person because there might … I thinks its unfair to restrict sales to 2 per person because there might be 3 or 4 of you going to a concert and you run the risk of your mates not getting through in time etc.In my case i have taken my kids(well they are hardly kids,offspring lol) to concerts that if sale restrictions were 2 per person i couldnt have done that.Dont know how to police it but it should be policed !!

Why?

Banned

greg_68;7914967

Serious touts will, of course, it is their business. I mean the casual ones who are maybe already buying tickets for themselves and order an extra couple of tickets to sell on eBay. This has become so commonplace that they must be more of a problem than the pros.

The organisers aren't going to care mind, it's all good business to them. It's the reason why just about any popular band/artists sells their concerts out in next to no time.

FilthAndFurry;7914995

Why?

Beacause people are forced into paying higher prices due to being unable to buy direct.

Banned

FilthAndFurry;7914987

So if 6 people want to go to a gig where there's seating, they have to … So if 6 people want to go to a gig where there's seating, they have to make 3 transactions and hope they're sat near each other?

Why not, is that important to be sat near more than one friend. It's not going down the pub or having a meal. I can't remember a gig (standing mind) that I've spent more than a song with the people I came with before being dragged/carried to the front/side/back.

casparwhite;7914884

thats why most tickets arent sent out til a week before the gig and the … thats why most tickets arent sent out til a week before the gig and the reason why i manage to pick up so many tickets at less than face valueas for photos on all tickets that is just ridiculous im afraid

why is it ridiculous? it works at glastonbury,many promoters in america insist on it now-it may require a bit of effort but it certainly isnt ridiculous

casparwhite;7914833

ive bought numerous tickets from there and most have been for less than … ive bought numerous tickets from there and most have been for less than face value

On Saturday after i couldn't get any i looked on Ebay,one set was 180 quid,they only cost 30 quid to buy,ah well.

Banned

greg_68;7915015

Beacause people are forced into paying higher prices due to being unable … Beacause people are forced into paying higher prices due to being unable to buy direct.

And?

EDIT - never knew Levar Burton was in the video for Word Up.

Banned

master_chief;7915034

Why not, is that important to be sat near more than one friend. It's not … Why not, is that important to be sat near more than one friend. It's not going down the pub or having a meal. I can't remember a gig (standing mind) that I've spent more than a song with the people I came with before being dragged/carried to the front/side/back.

Because it's nice to do, to be able to chat to a mate, to know you're not going to be sat next to a weirdo (unless your friends are weirdos).

I really don't see the problem. If there's a gig I want to go to, I just make sure I buy them as soon as they go on sale so I can get them.

If people want tips on how to find out about gigs then I can offer a few:thumbsup:

Banned

FilthAndFurry;7915083

Because it's nice to do, to be able to chat to a mate, to know you're not … Because it's nice to do, to be able to chat to a mate, to know you're not going to be sat next to a weirdo (unless your friends are weirdos).I really don't see the problem. If there's a gig I want to go to, I just make sure I buy them as soon as they go on sale so I can get them.If people want tips on how to find out about gigs then I can offer a few:thumbsup:

Well you are sat with one friend, have a nice chat with them. Or why not hang out in the bar area until the act starts. If you're in a group of 6 then there's always a chance you could be one of the people sat next to a "weirdo" as the seating arrangements are usually in rows of more than 6.

Banned

master_chief;7915131

Well you are sat with one friend, have a nice chat with them. Or why not … Well you are sat with one friend, have a nice chat with them. Or why not hang out in the bar area until the act starts. If you're in a group of 6 then there's always a chance you could be one of the people sat next to a "weirdo" as the seating arrangements are usually in rows of more than 6.

Honestly, who sits at gigs anyway:-D

I just don't really think the current situation needs changing.

i go to alot of gigs and never have trouble getting tickets. Id reccommend signing up to any newsletters for bands / comedians you like - as they nearly always have a presale. Then just try and make sure you're ready to go on t'internet at 9 o clock or whenever theyre released.

Have all of the ticket websites open, just in case one fails. Ticketmaster are better at keeping their website working.. but their 'queue' system is annoying..

Also - the lesser known companies are sometimes overlooked, such as stargreen or ticketline.. theyre always worth a go.

I think its all getting a bit too expensive, so i will usually buy 4 when i need 2 and sell the others so i can break even.

greg_68;7915015

Beacause people are forced into paying higher prices due to being unable … Beacause people are forced into paying higher prices due to being unable to buy direct.

Whose forcing them to buy from touts, if you dont like the price dont pay. Simple

I am happy to buy from touts, either via a website or direct at the venue, I dont see a problem with it at all. Market forces innit

Banned

barky;7915043

why is it ridiculous? it works at glastonbury,many promoters in america … why is it ridiculous? it works at glastonbury,many promoters in america insist on it now-it may require a bit of effort but it certainly isnt ridiculous

how does it "work" at glastonbury exactly?

you have to register and apply for tickets its a festival not just any gig, little bit of difference to that and an intimate gig with only 100 tickets available
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Urgent help needed with travel agent56
    2. Submit Mobile Deals from Comparison sites22
    3. NEWBIE Help with a new laptop or PC please?!33
    4. Recover WIN 10 on HP Laptop33

See more discussions