Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

On metered water and bill has changed to £101 from £31 a month

Posted 10th Sep 2021
there's 7 people in the house, the bill seems too high, how much is yours and what do you do to reduce consumption.

we are with Thames water.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
Top comments
BobbyBoy2110/09/2021 22:19

Not sure who's or why the idea for this metered water, it sucks

Paying for what you actually use means it sucks! Not sure what you are on but every other utility you pay for what you use so why should water be any different!
42 Comments
  1. Avatar
    thameswater.co.uk/hel…tor

£31 for a seven person household seems very low. £101 seems a little high, but potentially not massively so if you have a lot of adults.
  2. Avatar
    Start taking daily meter readings to make sure you don't have any leaks,
    but it's more likely you've underpaid for a while so they've increased your bill to make up the difference
    Edited by: "cainer1" 10th Sep
  3. Avatar
    Author
    cainer110/09/2021 22:13

Start taking daily meter readings to make sure you don't have any leaks, …Start taking daily meter readings to make sure you don't have any leaks, but it's more likely you've underpaid for a while so they've increased your bill to make up the difference

It's our first time in a metered water, not even sure where the meter is or how to taking readings. Will probably give Thames water a call tomorrow as well.
    Edited by: "BobbyBoy21" 10th Sep
  4. Avatar
    We moved into a house that is metered. Pay on a DD.
    £58/MONTH.

3 adults, 3 children under 5.
    West Yorkshire..

And regardless of however much the bill is we can't change it to rateable charges. Stuck with it
  5. Avatar
    One is too high, the other is too low. Sounds like they're making up for underpayments??
  6. Avatar
    Author
    Sunshine2610/09/2021 22:18

We moved into a house that is metered. Pay on a DD.£58/MONTH.3 adults, 3 …We moved into a house that is metered. Pay on a DD.£58/MONTH.3 adults, 3 children under 5. West Yorkshire..And regardless of however much the bill is we can't change it to rateable charges. Stuck with it

7. Avatar
    Worst thing is you can’t remove the meter. I remember a few years back when they were promoting water meters, but we didn’t change because we knew they’d charge a lot more
  8. Avatar
    Im in the south west with the highest rates in the country and living on my own i pay £27 a month! £31 for 7 people is lunacy and i suspect they are now catching up with the under payments.
  9. Avatar
    BobbyBoy2110/09/2021 22:17

It's our first time in a metered water, not even sure where the meter is …It's our first time in a metered water, not even sure where the meter is or how to taking readings. Will probably give Thames water a call tomorrow as well.

How long have you lived there? If you've not long moved in then expect prices to be very high to start...they like to grab some cash for the first few months while they await some regular meter readings
  10. Avatar
    BobbyBoy2110/09/2021 22:19

Paying for what you actually use means it sucks! Not sure what you are on but every other utility you pay for what you use so why should water be any different!
  11. Avatar
    They came and had a look at our place and declared that metering was impractical. Never been nagged since. Wish the '!eccy people would do the same about their 'smart' meters.
    Edited by: "harrythefish" 10th Sep
  12. Avatar
    We are £30 pm for 2 people, so £101 is not too far off. I would check for leaks and then time peoples showers and make sure people are using the half flush feature on toilets and not running the water when brushing teeth etc.
  13. Avatar
    I was paying a fixed amount of £577 a year, after switching to metered I now pay around 460 a year.
  14. Avatar
    Author
    cainer110/09/2021 22:24

How long have you lived there? If you've not long moved in then expect …How long have you lived there? If you've not long moved in then expect prices to be very high to start...they like to grab some cash for the first few months while they await some regular meter readings

About 6 months, they recommended £31 monthly payment and they it'll be adjusted if required, was expecting that much of a hike. Our previous place wasn't metered and we paid about £45 per month.
  15. Avatar
    BobbyBoy2110/09/2021 22:36

About 6 months, they recommended £31 monthly payment and they it'll be …About 6 months, they recommended £31 monthly payment and they it'll be adjusted if required, was expecting that much of a hike. Our previous place wasn't metered and we paid about £45 per month.

Was that estimate based on 7 people!? Think you've got your answer: you were underpaying, now they want you to overpay for a bit to make up and cover themselves. In another 6 months it may come down. If you're on a tight budget ask to be billed more frequently and it can be adjusted quicker.

(if you're readings are inaccurate you can request it's checked)

What you paid before had little relation to your use. Now it does ie. the purpose of a water meter.
    Edited by: "adam.mt" 10th Sep
  16. Avatar
    Not on a water meter (glad we are not) and we pay £28 per month, it’s gone up by £8 monthly over the course of 7 years.
  17. Avatar
    Upload the latest bill as all the answers are there.
    Youve been underpaying simple as.
  18. Avatar
    £100 is about right. Was the £31 per month for when you were on a fixed yearly charge?

We have 6 people and metered is average £89 per month. Still on fixed (£350 per year) but have been told they are moving us to metered in 2 yrs time. (We get 2 yrs practice to reduce our water usage)

In two years time I will be having quick 1 min showers instead of baths.
    Edited by: "Speculator" 11th Sep
  19. Avatar
    Your local water authority will almost certainly have free water saving devices if you ask. If you have a dual flush toilet, make sure you use it, or put a brick in the cistern to reduce the amount of water used each flush. Don't leave the gap running while you brush your teeth. Never just do half load of washing,wait until you have a full load, and showers not baths. That's a biggie.
  20. Avatar
    This is a link to information about water meters on money saving expert.

moneysavingexpert.com/uti…ls/

I'm with 7 trent and we're un-metered. We're billed £616 a year split into 2 half yearly payment of 308 so 51.33 a month.

I would say your paying more as the meter measures your exact usage.

Without a water meter, your bill will be based on your home's 'rateable value'. The amount of water used is irrelevant* *taken from above article.
  21. Avatar
    BobbyBoy2110/09/2021 22:36

About 6 months, they recommended £31 monthly payment and they it'll be …About 6 months, they recommended £31 monthly payment and they it'll be adjusted if required, was expecting that much of a hike. Our previous place wasn't metered and we paid about £45 per month.

You were obviously underpaying. I would expect them to reduce your dd to around £66pcm in 6 months

(6x£31)+(6x£101) / 12 = £66
  22. Avatar
    £31 for 7 people is unusually low when Thames Water usually starts a 2 person household on £18-20 a month after installing the meter. They take readings every 6 months and now that you have completed 6 months, they have got actual consumption data. The £101 is to catch up on the previous 6 months and also takes into account the next 6 so that you are neither in credit nor owe money. Please also check for leaks and take photos if you see one along with filing a complaint - Thames can take a long time to fix them as I have personally experienced, and the photos I took along with my email complaint is what saved me from a £1800 bill a few years ago.

Meters are great because they remove the subsidies large households receive from the smaller ones and everyone pays for they actually use.
  23. Avatar
    On rateable value we paid around £58/ month on a meter it's £35 for 3 people ( about £4.20 / M2). No brainer really. The higher your rateable value and the fewer people in the household makes a meter better value.
  24. Avatar
    If you have three kids under 19 or certain medical conditions AND receive certain benefits you may qualify for the WaterSure scheme which caps your bills to about £370 per year
    Worth a look to see if you meet the qualifying criteria. citizensadvice.org.uk/con…ls/
  25. Avatar
    Water meters are restrictions on life, now you have seen your bill move around you are conscious of the cost of a dripping tap or taking a shower to long or watering your garden.
    Edited by: "groenleader" 11th Sep
  26. Avatar
    This is why i don't wash, only drink milk and never wash up
  27. Avatar
    coolcatshaft11/09/2021 07:26

If you have three kids under 19 or certain medical conditions AND receive …If you have three kids under 19 or certain medical conditions AND receive certain benefits you may qualify for the WaterSure scheme which caps your bills to about £370 per year Worth a look to see if you meet the qualifying criteria. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/water/water-supply/problems-with-paying-your-water-bill/watersure-scheme-help-with-paying-water-bills/

Massive thanks coolcatshaft!
    I never knew about this. Just had a look- and we qualify

Application form printed and completed. Just need to pop it in the post now
  28. Avatar
    Reduce your bill to zero by moving to Northern Ireland ...
  29. Avatar
    Author
    Sunshine2611/09/2021 09:46

Massive thanks coolcatshaft!I never knew about this. Just had a look- and …Massive thanks coolcatshaft!I never knew about this. Just had a look- and we qualify :)Application form printed and completed. Just need to pop it in the post now

Looks like we may also qualify
  30. Avatar
    Author
    coolcatshaft11/09/2021 07:26

If you have three kids under 19 or certain medical conditions AND receive …If you have three kids under 19 or certain medical conditions AND receive certain benefits you may qualify for the WaterSure scheme which caps your bills to about £370 per year Worth a look to see if you meet the qualifying criteria. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/water/water-supply/problems-with-paying-your-water-bill/watersure-scheme-help-with-paying-water-bills/

Thanks, look like we may also qualify you've got any more hidden gems for other utility bills or otherwise
  31. Avatar
    BobbyBoy2110/09/2021 22:17

It's our first time in a metered water, not even sure where the meter is …It's our first time in a metered water, not even sure where the meter is or how to taking readings. Will probably give Thames water a call tomorrow as well.

Ours Is under the kitchen sink. Meter readings are taken by the Water Supplier via some device that they drive past with and it somehow picks up the reading.
    In 3 yrs they hsve only ever been to check the meter once when we first moved in.
  32. Avatar
    do away with water meter if u can mines 20 month use as much as u want
  33. Avatar
    £18 a month for 1 person with severn trent
  34. Avatar
    No meter here, £79 a frikking month with Severn Trent in chesterfield.. 2 adults in a 2 bed flat. Don't like the idea of a meter but I know it will probably reduce it a lot for us. Need to do something soon!
  35. Avatar
    Not on a metre and never really thought about it, but after reading comments here, im glad ive never had a metre, i think mine would be hundreds.
    10 showers per day, my disabled daughter loves playing with water half the day, hot tub gets refilled weekly, my mrs does 4 or 5 loads of washing per day.
    Im going into hiding from them before they find us
    Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 11th Sep
  36. Avatar
    I’d say with 7 people £80-90 would be right, it’s probably gone over that because you owe money.
  37. Avatar
    I am paying around 30/month for 3 adults, so paying 31/month for 7 people was waaay to low. So I guss they just calculated how much you own them and that is why is so high.
  38. Avatar
    Mark_Hickman11/09/2021 12:55

Not on a metre and never really thought about it, but after reading …Not on a metre and never really thought about it, but after reading comments here, im glad ive never had a metre, i think mine would be hundreds.10 showers per day, my disabled daughter loves playing with water half the day, hot tub gets refilled weekly, my mrs does 4 or 5 loads of washing per day.Im going into hiding from them before they find us

Enjoy it while it lasts, won’t be long time meters are compulsory
  39. Avatar
    Never paid any water bill is this new thing?
  40. Avatar
    happyB12/09/2021 07:13

Never paid any water bill is this new thing?

Assume you are in Scotland?
    Edited by: "rjmjnlcfm" 12th Sep
Post a comment
Top Merchants