on Route to London, any suggestions on things we should do? :)

Good morning everyone :-) me and my 14year old are on route to London on a National Holiday. I'm not sure of where we are staying or anything other then at some point in the 4 days we are here/travelling we will be having a trip to Windsor. Does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations of places we should go visit. All suggestions welcome, shops, tourism places anything. We've got a long journey ahead of googling info and reading replies, thanks guys n girls :-)
Also what's the best / cheapest way to get around? I'm guessing in bus but not sure how it works there?

Ps teen is into weird things, emo, black clothing, incense burning, heavy rock music, not pink girly things lol

Added info:- just found out we are staying at Europa hotel in Gatwick, so we wont b able to come and go as we please :-( oh well at least I'm not cooking and washing up for 4 days lol

33 Comments

how about Thorpe Park and London Dungeons?

LeahMinttoutou

Ps teen is into weird things, emo, black clothing, incense burning, heavy … Ps teen is into weird things, emo, black clothing, incense burning, heavy rock music, not pink girly things lol

they will like camden town for sure, full of that type of stuff!

Camden Town - If he's emo then its a mecca for the alternative.
Budget eats
zizzi.co.uk/ita…dge - great view of the river

Original Poster

afnoor

how about Thorpe Park and London Dungeons?

Great, dungeons is on the definitely list, thanks!

Original Poster

davewave

Camden Town - If he's emo then its a mecca for the alternative.Budget … Camden Town - If he's emo then its a mecca for the alternative.Budget eatshttps://www.zizzi.co.uk/italian/restaurants/london/london-bridge - great view of the river

SHE is emo lol.. thanks good recommendations.. I'll check that out online too

LeahMinttoutou

SHE is emo lol.. thanks good recommendations.. I'll check that out online … SHE is emo lol.. thanks good recommendations.. I'll check that out online too

oops oO apologies, have a great time.

This is a great area for funky restaurants if you're in the west end. carnaby.co.uk/foo…rt/
I would particularly recommend this one carnaby.co.uk/sto…by/

Great site for London: londonist.com/
Enjoy...

Original Poster

davewave

oops oO apologies, have a great time.This is a great area for funky … oops oO apologies, have a great time.This is a great area for funky restaurants if you're in the west end. https://www.carnaby.co.uk/food-and-drink/kingly-court/I would particularly recommend this one https://www.carnaby.co.uk/store/shoryu-carnaby/

Oo thanks.. I think we found this place before by accident. is it in a kind of off street nook with all sorts in there, with a couple of stories of interesting eateries? we opted to eat at the pizza pilgrims which was nice.. thanks, that's just the kind of places we are into will be nice to go back

Hard rock cafe? ripleys believe it or not?

LeahMinttoutou

Oo thanks.. I think we found this place before by accident. is it in a … Oo thanks.. I think we found this place before by accident. is it in a kind of off street nook with all sorts in there, with a couple of stories of interesting eateries? we opted to eat at the pizza pilgrims which was nice.. thanks, that's just the kind of places we are into will be nice to go back

yep thats the place

Original Poster

punji

Hard rock cafe? ripleys believe it or not?

Thanks, just looked at ripleys, looks interesting.. I can only find the price for a child though, don't suppose you know adult price?

Original Poster

davewave

yep thats the place

Yeah we liked that area, didn't have much time so didn't get to look around much, hopefully this time we will have more don't suppose you know how the bus services work down there? Do I need a card, can we hop on any with cash etc etc?

LeahMinttoutou

Yeah we liked that area, didn't have much time so didn't get to look … Yeah we liked that area, didn't have much time so didn't get to look around much, hopefully this time we will have more don't suppose you know how the bus services work down there? Do I need a card, can we hop on any with cash etc etc?

you can use your contactless card to pay your bus fare but for your daughter see below, basically get to a tube station to sort out the below...

If you're visiting London and travelling with children aged 11 to 15 who haven't got a Zip Oyster photocard, you can still benefit from reduced rate travel for them. You can get a discount set on an Oyster or Visitor Oyster card that will allow them to pay as you go at half adult-rate for up to 14 days.

This discount is called the Young Visitor discount and can be set by a member of staff at:

Any Tube station
TfL Rail station ticket offices
Visitor Centres (except Gatwick Airport South Terminal)
Victoria National Rail station ticket office
You and your child must be together when asking for the Young Visitor discount to be set.

You don't need proof of age or identity, but you might be asked to confirm the child's age. One adult can get the Young Visitor discount set for up to four children.

The Young Visitor discount gives the following for up to 14 days:

Half adult-rate pay as you go fares and daily caps on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and most National Rail services
Half adult-rate on Emirates Air Line and Thames Clipper River Bus services
It doesn't allow free travel and discounted Travelcard and Bus & Tram Pass season tickets can't be added. After 14 days the discount expires and the Oyster card reverts to charging adult-rate fares.

London zoo, i think they have some emus there too.

tate modern great views and free entry

Original Poster

philhib1964

London zoo, i think they have some emus there too.

Omg we quite possible have to do that. Emu is my daughter nickname! Lol

Original Poster

davewave

you can use your contactless card to pay your bus fare but for your … you can use your contactless card to pay your bus fare but for your daughter see below, basically get to a tube station to sort out the below...If you're visiting London and travelling with children aged 11 to 15 who haven't got a Zip Oyster photocard, you can still benefit from reduced rate travel for them. You can get a discount set on an Oyster or Visitor Oyster card that will allow them to pay as you go at half adult-rate for up to 14 days.This discount is called the Young Visitor discount and can be set by a member of staff at:Any Tube stationTfL Rail station ticket officesVisitor Centres (except Gatwick Airport South Terminal)Victoria National Rail station ticket officeYou and your child must be together when asking for the Young Visitor discount to be set.You don't need proof of age or identity, but you might be asked to confirm the child's age. One adult can get the Young Visitor discount set for up to four children.The Young Visitor discount gives the following for up to 14 days:Half adult-rate pay as you go fares and daily caps on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and most National Rail servicesHalf adult-rate on Emirates Air Line and Thames Clipper River Bus servicesIt doesn't allow free travel and discounted Travelcard and Bus & Tram Pass season tickets can't be added. After 14 days the discount expires and the Oyster card reverts to charging adult-rate fares.

Wow thanks for all that info. We are gonna go on the train to the centre tomorrow as our hotel is near Gatwick. Then I'll try using the bus services to get about, Thanks for the help!
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 20th Feb

Free entry into Natural History Museum and Science Museum which are next door to each other.
Or see big ben, London Eye, Aquarium which are within a couple of minutes of each other.
West end show is another option.

Original Poster

ndam11

Free entry into Natural History Museum and Science Museum which are next … Free entry into Natural History Museum and Science Museum which are next door to each other.Or see big ben, London Eye, Aquarium which are within a couple of minutes of each other.West end show is another option.

Thanks, the natural history museum is on our list too. Didn't know the others were as close by so will have a lil walk round some of them too, Thankyou

science museum is close to natural history....but the others are further away but close to one another....sorry to confuse. only first 2 free.

ndam11

Free entry into Natural History Museum and Science Museum which are next … Free entry into Natural History Museum and Science Museum which are next door to each other.Or see big ben, London Eye, Aquarium which are within a couple of minutes of each other.West end show is another option.

avoid the aquarium overpriced and not very good
shard is much better for the view than the London eye

enjoy your trip

Original Poster

ndam11

science museum is close to natural history....but the others are further … science museum is close to natural history....but the others are further away but close to one another....sorry to confuse. only first 2 free.

Lol no probs, thanks again

Original Poster

mattmerch

avoid the aquarium overpriced and not very good shard is much better for … avoid the aquarium overpriced and not very good shard is much better for the view than the London eye enjoy your trip

Oh ok, thanks for the heads up.. trying to keep my bank from going in the red is probably gonna be a impossible task in London, but I'll try

Tour bus is usually good....various pick up points and does all main tourist spots for about £20....you can add a boat tour ride for a little extra....thats what we usually do with all the rellies visiting from abroad.....otherwise would break the bank for sure.

Evening ghost walks/tours. About 2 1/2 hours long. Can be very entertaining or scary (depends on your belief in ghosts).
Several walks listed here

getyourguide.com/-l5…M8g

Bank of England Museum (free) - you can try to pick up a gold bar

In addition, pizza express just off the Brompton road, within walking distance of the museums, (recommend the V&A) however it is quite tiny, so book a table online, if you chose. Remember to check both here and other voucher sites.
Have a great time!

As an alternative to Camden Lock, try Brick Lane market at the weekend.
London Transport Museum. Sounds dull but is quirky.
RAF Museum Hendon is world class if thats your thing.
Bike Shed Cafe, Shoreditch, is very left field and arty. Also East End Art tour for street art.
Emirates Air Line, Docklands. A lot cheaper aerial view than the Eye.
Royal Observatory, Greenwich. Only if nice weather.
Water Bus service on the Thames.
Brown's, D'Arblay Street, Mayfair. (NOT Browns Hotel) Brilliant afternoon tea in historic buliding for 1/3 price of the famous hotels.

Original Poster

mrty

Evening ghost walks/tours. About 2 1/2 hours long. Can be very … Evening ghost walks/tours. About 2 1/2 hours long. Can be very entertaining or scary (depends on your belief in ghosts). Several walks listed herehttps://www.getyourguide.com/-l57/-tc23/?cmp=ga&campaignid=252347266&adgroupid=6534698746&targetid=kwd-78392636478&loc_physical_ms=9045999&matchtype=b&network=g&device=m&creative=176240277545&keyword=%2Blondon%20%2Bghosts&adposition=1t1&partner_id=1DD5E&gclid=CP_9oMCbn9ICFbEV0wodCuIM8g

Wow never thought of that, could be very fun thanks!

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!
Made it to Camden Town this morning via tube.. thinking I might just make it bk to the hotel today, got so much to do lol
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 21st Feb

For Windsor from London
If you want legoland as well
greenline.co.uk/tim…ll/

From Gatwick you can get the Heathrow connect bus and then another bus to Windsor

Original Poster

playdumb

For Windsor from London If you want legoland as well … For Windsor from London If you want legoland as well http://www.greenline.co.uk/timetables-search/700-701-702---london-to-legoland-windsor-and-bracknell/From Gatwick you can get the Heathrow connect bus and then another bus to Windsor

Thankyou for the info, we are on our way back home now, done so much walking and tubing I'm sooo looking forward to collapsing on my bed tonight.. Don't know how people do the commute everyday on the tubes, stood up, my feet are on fire still from yesterday and day before! Lol
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Decent hoover66
    2. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)46
    3. Job Centre sending text to confirm appointment66
    4. Iptv814

See more discussions