ON windows XP when i put into stand by mode to turn on PC all i have to do is move the mouse, can i stop this?

9 replies
Found 29th Nov 2009
really annoying whenever i put PC into stand by mode, and the mouse mouse on the shaky desk the PC comes back on again, can i stop the feature where it allows a mouse to be used.

7 Comments

I don't think you can. Hibernation might be a better option.

garbage456;7044090

i dont think XP has hibernation

It does - you usually have to enable it in power settings first

garbage456;7044090

i dont think XP has hibernation

XP does have hibernation, I sometimes use it when I can't be bothered to wait for the whole start up sequence!

its only me;7044122

It does - you usually have to enable it in power settings first

Yep go into bios by pressing del when you first switch on. In there theres an option to 'wake on lan' wake on mouse' and 'wake on keyboard'. Switch them all to off ;-)

Had to do this only 2 days ago with an old lady's pc i worked on.

Yes. Settings -Control Panel. Open the Mouse Programming properties, click Hardware, click Properties, click Power Management, and then uncheck "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" check box. For hibernation Settings -Control Panel - Power Options - Hibernation tab and check box enable hibernation.

ooops and as said also in windows settings under mouse properties.

Squelds;7044138

Yep go into bios by pressing del when you first switch on. In there … Yep go into bios by pressing del when you first switch on. In there theres an option to 'wake on lan' wake on mouse' and 'wake on keyboard'. Switch them all to off ;-)Had to do this only 2 days ago with an old lady's pc i worked on.

so how exactly is this machine to then wake up from standby?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Highway code and use of indicators (or lack thereof)4178
    2. Add one, leave one game54415459
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…51113
    4. saying of the day89412

See more discussions