Expired

One Call Insurance - cancellation charges, is this right?

Found 6th Jul 2013
Changed ensurer via Compare the Market last month to insure my old banger of a 106 that I use as an occasional run around. Anyway the head gasket finally went on Thursday so am going to scrap it. Rang One Call to cancel the policy and they want to take £47 for cancelling the policy... the entire cost of the years insurance was only £120! Seems a bit steep to me, is this standard boilerplate for the crafty sods? Its been insured for less than a month, so in effect Im paying 5 months price for one months insurance.

Anyone in the industry know if this is usual practice? Should I make a complaint to them?
Community Updates
AskInsurance
5 Comments
Banned
Yes this is the usual, it stops people from taking a 12 month policy and using the insurance to tax the car then cancel the policy. My advice would be to let the policy run as youde get another year ncb, also later if you decide to buy another banger runaround you can switch it onto this policy easier than starting another new policy.
Not sure you can hold an insurance policy on a car you no longer own...best check if you decide to try that.
Banned
mosskeeto

Not sure you can hold an insurance policy on a car you no longer … Not sure you can hold an insurance policy on a car you no longer own...best check if you decide to try that.

Its not as if the car is going to be involved in an accident, or stolen.

Could always sorn it till the insurance runs out, then scrap it. Most scrap collectors will collect the vehicle even if not running as well as get a few quid for it.
Yup, that sounds about the average cancellation fee for motor insurance, all companies do it and it'll have been listed in the policy documents when you bought the cover. If you've had the insurance less than 14 days you can see if you can cancel it under the cooling off period, but you'll still be charged an admin fee.

If you're getting another car you can see if they will suspend the cover, rather than cancelling it.
Original Poster
Thanks all, might see what they quote on another car then, keeping it SORN but insured seems a bit about face really, although I have got space to store it . Thanks again.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions