Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

One drive on Chromebook

Posted 3rd Nov
hi, im hoping someone can give me some advice.
i bought myself an acer r13 chromebook last year and since then my daughter has been using it constantly doing school work on google docs etc...
she started college september and kept mentioning all the assignments she has to do and was using my chromebook initially for college work.
so i thought a chromebook would be a great gift for christmas, last month i spent £300 on a new one from pcworld.
now the last few weeks i noticed shes on her old very slow windows laptop and i heard her moaning its to slow and keep freezing.
i asked why are you not on my chromebook and she said, our teacher told us we have to do all our college work through one drive so we can log on at college and continue with it etc...
is there a way to use one drive on a chromebook or have i wasted £300 ?
i cant return it as i opened it just to check its not damaged and switches on, if i had known before i could of bought a new windows system ☹️
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
She can access OneDrive through the web or the Android App version of it.

I am guessing her problem is more around then working in her documents from OneDrive, such as Microsoft Word and other members of the Office family. The Google Play Store Microsoft Office app is really good, but I believe to edit docs she'll need an O365 subscription. Does her college account give her this?

Alternatively she could use an extension in Google Chrome to allow her to edit the Microsoft Office files in Google Drive, and then re-upload to her OneDrive account. The extension is here - chrome.google.com/web…gkj
Edited by: "morgie" 3rd Nov
Thanks for the helpful reply, i didnt want to tell her about it but i guess ill have to ask her to try it on my chromebook because i dont have a clue. I'm hopeful now though, so i need to look at a 365 subscription as i doubt she will want to keep using docs then possibly changing file type and re-uploading or is it quite quick and simple ? Thanks a lot
Try and get her to login with her college account to OneDrive via the web. Open up a doc and see how it looks. If her college have O365 it should be associated with her account.
O365 subscription is usually free or nearly free for colleges who have a contract with Microsoft. The fun begins when the students graduate and discover they now need to pay for one because they now cannot live without it. Somewhat like drugs
morgie03/11/2019 10:49

Try and get her to login with her college account to OneDrive via the web. …Try and get her to login with her college account to OneDrive via the web. Open up a doc and see how it looks. If her college have O365 it should be associated with her account.

So ive managed to get her to try it on mine without it being obvious, by saying instead of keep moaning about your slow laptop try 365 on my chromebook.
She said she normally logs in with her collage email at college and on her laptop but on my chromebook she goes to 365 site and it says no account exists with that email.
Maybe the college email is for onedrive not office ? I'm not sure ill try look myself in a minute
bozo00703/11/2019 12:54

O365 subscription is usually free or nearly free for colleges who have a …O365 subscription is usually free or nearly free for colleges who have a contract with Microsoft. The fun begins when the students graduate and discover they now need to pay for one because they now cannot live without it. Somewhat like drugs

Well she said she normally signs in with collage email but as I've mentioned above it doesn't work on 365 site, she said normally shes on office installed on computer and just signs in to one drive
Try portal.office.com to log in. We have O365 at work and that is the site used to access all the apps via the browser.
@morgie@bozo007 so shes showed me, she installed office on her laptop years ago on a trial then it expired and didn't work but now she clicks on account login uses college email and it works and these are her subscriptions in image below and includes 365 student.
But on 365 site on Chromebook it says no account exists when she tries logging in with the college email
38891909-dTsBW.jpg
bozo00703/11/2019 13:26

Try portal.office.com to log in. We have O365 at work and that is the site …Try portal.office.com to log in. We have O365 at work and that is the site used to access all the apps via the browser.

Brilliant problem solved ! went to that site address and she was already logged in somehow and its working fine. Thanks to you both for the help, saved me spending another £500 on a new windows laptop
morgie03/11/2019 10:49

Try and get her to login with her college account to OneDrive via the web. …Try and get her to login with her college account to OneDrive via the web. Open up a doc and see how it looks. If her college have O365 it should be associated with her account.

Problem solved, thanks for helping
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants