Groups

One for the computer techies.

Having some issues at the moment folks. I'm very careful on the internet, unfortunately some others who use this computer aren't.

As a result when using Firefox and doing a google search, clicking links from google takes me to other search pages displaying results rather than to the page it is supposed to go to.

Ive tryed running a virus scan, scan with Lavasoft adaware and spybot search and destroy. Both in normal and booted into safe mode. but this problem is still there.

Any suggestions on what i can do?

21 Comments

Does it do the same in internet expolorer or just firefox?

uninstall firefox and reinstall.

Original Poster

Babbler

Does it do the same in internet expolorer or just firefox?

Just checked and yes it does, but it doesn't with chrome.

download and run malwarebytes and freesuperantispyware both top programs, install and update both in normal mode and run them both in safe mode

Original Poster

im guessing this could be a rootkit since my malware and virus hasn't picked it up?
    the sites im redirected to include Gomeo

Restore your system to a previous save point and stay away from the place you got the virus.

1) shut down firefox.
    2) go to the 'program files/mozilla/firefox/extentions' directory
    3) delete the directory which has the overlay.xul file (or was created when you noticed the redirection)
    4) restart the browser
    5) Your Back In Business To Smooth Surfin

Original Poster

indianbelters

download and run malwarebytes and freesuperantispyware both top programs, … download and run malwarebytes and freesuperantispyware both top programs, install and update both in normal mode and run them both in safe mode

Getting on both of those now.

kev_u8701r

Restore your system to a previous save point and stay away from the place … Restore your system to a previous save point and stay away from the place you got the virus.

Now this really isn't helpful advice is it if you don't know where or when it was infected...

Original Poster

raptorcigs

1) shut down firefox.2) go to the 'program … 1) shut down firefox.2) go to the 'program files/mozilla/firefox/extentions' directory3) delete the directory which has the overlay.xul file (or was created when you noticed the redirection)4) restart the browser5) Your Back In Business To Smooth Surfin

i don't see overlay.xul and it isnt isolated to firefox its in IE aswell
    Edited by: "Jetpac" 3rd Apr 2011

try uninstall and re-install

if that fails stick with chrome it's a better choice
    Edited by: "raptorcigs" 3rd Apr 2011

You could try hijackthis, it will sort it but I advise extreme caution, you can very easily do big damage to your pc if you start unclicking and deleting things you shouldn't. Read tutorials very carefully.

raptorcigs

try uninstall and re-installif that fails stick with chrome it's a better … try uninstall and re-installif that fails stick with chrome it's a better choice

not a brilliant answer that is it there iss obviously something on his machine causing it to happen

ChipSticks

You could try hijackthis, it will sort it but I advise extreme caution, … You could try hijackthis, it will sort it but I advise extreme caution, you can very easily do big damage to your pc if you start unclicking and deleting things you shouldn't. Read tutorials very carefully.

run hijack this after the malwarebytes and freesuperantispyware

raptorcigs

try uninstall and re-installif that fails stick with chrome it's a better … try uninstall and re-installif that fails stick with chrome it's a better choice

RRRRappy!

Long time no see there mate

google.com/sup…=en

Recommends installing NoScript in Firefox as a temporary measure so you can at least use google until you can solve the problem.

computing.net/ans…tml

Response has someone who claims to have removed the problem.

Edited by: "Ungreat" 3rd Apr 2011

indianbelters

not a brilliant answer that is it there iss obviously something on his … not a brilliant answer that is it there iss obviously something on his machine causing it to happen

hijack this wont remove it either if it is a rootkit (witch i think it is) the best way is a re-install as i said
    your method will only turn it off until the next re-boot

indianbelters

download and run malwarebytes and freesuperantispyware both top … download and run malwarebytes and freesuperantispyware both top programs, install and update both in normal mode and run them both in safe mode

kev_u8701r

Restore your system to a previous save point and stay away from the … Restore your system to a previous save point and stay away from the place you got the virus.

Not to mention the virus/trojan/rootkit is still lurking in your PC's system restore files and its been known for them to simply keep re-installing until 100% removed in all forms on the PC

Try microsoft.com/sec…spx

"The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool checks computers running Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows Server 2003 for infections by specific, prevalent malicious software—including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom—and helps remove any infection found.

When the detection and removal process is complete, the tool displays a report describing the outcome, including which, if any, malicious software was detected and removed."

See if it finds anything.

You can run a on-demand scan with, Start>Run "mrt.exe" (type without quotes ) and select scan options, etc.
    Edited by: "Discente" 3rd Apr 2011

Googling keywords like 'Google gomeo' and 'Google gomeo redirect' has repeatedly brought up mention of this rootkit remover.

Such as here.

I can't vouch that this is what you need (or that it won't do more harm than good) but just that this is what google brings up.

Original Poster

Right, so far so good!

I have run:

Adaware
    Spybot S+D
    Maklwarebytes
    freesuperantispyware
    Hitman Pro
    and TDSS Killer

they are reporting nothing when used in safe mode.
    And it doesn't seem to be redirecting.

so far it seems to have solved it! so cheers folks!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Car park fine UKPC33
      2. Gaming Monitor22
      3. help: windows 10 wifi issue44
      4. Iphone 7 - What Case?621

See more discussions