One of life's mysteries....

Found 23rd Apr 2009
why do people say "half an hour".
'h' isn't a vowel so shouldn't it be "half a hour"?

Just curious, plus my mind keeps thinking it's a Friday and as such keeps having pointless Friday thoughts.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
47 Comments

its said more like our rather than hour and o is a vowel (just guessing)

the general rule is if it sounds like a vowel then use an rather than a

it just doesn't flow the same though does it?

Cos you're not pronouncing the H.

otherwise you would say "Half a How-er"

Original Poster

melipona;5010681

the general rule is if it sounds like a vowel then use an rather than a

MinstrelMan;5010683

it just doesn't flow the same though does it?

"Half a How-er" hmm I'm sure that's how they say it in West Wales

King of Thieves;5010726

Nope, I've been trying to slip "half a hour" into conversations when I'm … Nope, I've been trying to slip "half a hour" into conversations when I'm talking with people. They either don't notice or I get funny looks lol :lol:"arf a hour ye say?" :pirate:

talkin like a pirate is classed as an office dare, classic activity for any friday

"Half a How-er" hmm I'm sure that's how they say it in West Wales

No, we say "Tomorrow at the earliest":-D

Arf Our

wtf?, it's thursday anyway...

Original Poster

MinstrelMan;5010746

talkin like a pirate is classed as an office dare, classic activity for … talkin like a pirate is classed as an office dare, classic activity for any friday

Office's have dares!? I wouldn't mind working there lol!.
My office is dryer than dried fruit. It's full of middle-aged men, the highlight of a day is if someone rather noisily expels flatus...no exaggeration.

King of Thieves;5010777

Office's have dares!? I wouldn't mind working there lol!.My office is … Office's have dares!? I wouldn't mind working there lol!.My office is dryer than dried fruit. It's full of middle-aged men, the highlight of a day is if someone rather noisily expels flatus...no exaggeration.

Liar we played office dares for a while and i kicked your ass :lol:

King of Thieves;5010777

Office's have dares!? I wouldn't mind working there lol!.My office is … Office's have dares!? I wouldn't mind working there lol!.My office is dryer than dried fruit. It's full of middle-aged men, the highlight of a day is if someone rather noisily expels flatus...no exaggeration.

See how many points you get: bbc.co.uk/lan…tml

BlondeBella;5010798

mine and your dares were waaaaaaaay different ;-)

30mins

Original Poster

BlondeBella;5010798

lol, that's not the same. Ur not a middle-aged man...well at least i hope not :?

U up for round 2 tomorrow? :whistling:

MinstrelMan;5010812

mine and your dares were waaaaaaaay different ;-)

Yeah and waaaaaaay better too:thumbsup:

You not want to be my FB friend.

King of Thieves;5010823

lol, that's not the same. Ur not a middle-aged man...well at least i hope … lol, that's not the same. Ur not a middle-aged man...well at least i hope not U up for round 2 tomorrow? :whistling:

Im anything but an middle aged man:roll:

Yeah why not work always sucks:thumbsup:

BlondeBella;5010848

Yeah and waaaaaaay better too:thumbsup:

lol shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :whistling:

FB friend? huh send me request

Original Poster

MinstrelMan;5010812

See how many points you get: … See how many points you get: http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/fun_stuff/2002/08/20/office_dares.shtml

Lol, if i did most of those I would get fired. I can only manage two 1 pointers.
I'll take you on with out of office dares though, I win every time when it comes to those :thumbsup:

MinstrelMan;5010862

lol shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :whistling:FB friend? huh send me request

Ooops:giggle:

I cant find you im rubbish and still getting used to it:lol:

King of Thieves;5010870

Lol, if i did most of those I would get fired. I can only manage two 1 … Lol, if i did most of those I would get fired. I can only manage two 1 pointers. I'll take you on with out of office dares though, I win every time when it comes to those :thumbsup:

makes good reading though.

whats out of office dares?

King of Thieves;5010870

Lol, if i did most of those I would get fired. I can only manage two 1 … Lol, if i did most of those I would get fired. I can only manage two 1 pointers. I'll take you on with out of office dares though, I win every time when it comes to those :thumbsup:

I wouldnt be too sure of that i rocked at dares when i used to do them.

Original Poster

BlondeBella;5010848

Yeah and waaaaaaay better too:thumbsup:You not want to be my FB friend.Im … Yeah and waaaaaaay better too:thumbsup:You not want to be my FB friend.Im anything but an middle aged man:roll:Yeah why not work always sucks:thumbsup:

cool, il drop u a shout when im on

MinstrelMan;5010884

makes good reading though.whats out of office dares?

depends who ur with. Could be anything from annoying police to acting *inappropriately*... one guy i know hung his balls out of his flies and walked around the town centre walking up to random people and asking them the time or directions to a place lol.

King of Thieves;5010940

cool, il drop u a shout when im on

Cool, im going to win you do know that:whistling:

King of Thieves;5010940

depends who ur with. Could be anything from annoying police to acting … depends who ur with. Could be anything from annoying police to acting *inappropriately*... one guy i know hung his balls out of his flies and walked around the town centre walking up to random people and asking them the time or directions to a place lol.

I call that saturday night :lol:

Original Poster

BlondeBella;5011019

Cool, im going to win you do know that:whistling:

haha, keep telling urself that. I'm probably gonna use the link mm posted, see how far u can get

MinstrelMan;5011039

I call that saturday night :lol:

that doesn't count, you have to be sober :thumbsup:

King of Thieves;5011122

haha, keep telling urself that. I'm probably gonna use the link mm … haha, keep telling urself that. I'm probably gonna use the link mm posted, see how far u can get

Thats fine by me cause on fridays at work everyone is so busy throwing stress balls they wont norice:lol:

Original Poster

BlondeBella;5011154

Thats fine by me cause on fridays at work everyone is so busy throwing … Thats fine by me cause on fridays at work everyone is so busy throwing stress balls they wont norice:lol:

maaaaaaaaaan, thats so not fair.

First dare for tomorrow. you have to steal everyones stress balls 8-)

King of Thieves;5011211

maaaaaaaaaan, thats so not fair.First dare for tomorrow. you have to … maaaaaaaaaan, thats so not fair.First dare for tomorrow. you have to steal everyones stress balls 8-)

I no but its very funny.

I cant the keep them in there lock drawers or i would off to thraw them at everyone:giggle:

Original Poster

BlondeBella;5011235

I no but its very funny.I cant the keep them in there lock drawers or i … I no but its very funny.I cant the keep them in there lock drawers or i would off to thraw them at everyone:giggle:

ur just thinking of excuses now... office drawers locks are easy to pick. just bring a couple of hair clips with you to work :thumbsup:

or wait till they leave their desk then steal them

King of Thieves;5011267

ur just thinking of excuses now... office drawers locks are easy to pick. … ur just thinking of excuses now... office drawers locks are easy to pick. just bring a couple of hair clips with you to work :thumbsup:or wait till they leave their desk then steal them

Fine i will come in early tomorrow and try and steal some but all is impossible:p

Original Poster

BlondeBella;5011279

Fine i will come in early tomorrow and try and steal some but all is … Fine i will come in early tomorrow and try and steal some but all is impossible:p

psssht, get ur game on woman. how many ppl work in ur office?

King of Thieves;5011299

psssht, get ur game on woman. how many ppl work in ur office?

This is coming from you who couldnt skip in his office:lol:

Original Poster

BlondeBella;5011334

This is coming from you who couldnt skip in his office:lol:27

U had to bring that up lol!....and I did skip, kinda :oops:
Just been told to do some work some im gone until tomorrow, bye x

King of Thieves;5011487

U had to bring that up lol!....and I did skip, kinda :oops:Just been … U had to bring that up lol!....and I did skip, kinda :oops:Just been told to do some work some im gone until tomorrow, bye x

Oh course i did your rubbish lol

Bye Hun x

Original Poster

first dare.....u get 1 point for this :thumbsup:
1) Run one lap around the office at top speed.

(anyone who's bored at work can join in if they want. rules simple enough, do a dare then post ur own!)

King of Thieves;5019142

first dare.....u get 1 point for this :thumbsup:1) Run one lap around the … first dare.....u get 1 point for this :thumbsup:1) Run one lap around the office at top speed.(anyone who's bored at work can join in if they want. rules simple enough, do a dare then post ur own!)

Ok here goes nothing, dam you my office quiet right now.

Original Poster

BlondeBella;5019172

Ok here goes nothing, dam you my office quiet right now.

:-D

there's 5 people in my offce today. 1's resting on his chin with his jaw hanging open, another keeps scratching his head and the guy opposite me is just on facebook....not sure what the other 2 are doing but doubt they're working.

so u manage to steal any stress balls yet?

King of Thieves;5019211

:-D there's 5 people in my offce today. 1's resting on his chin with his … :-D there's 5 people in my offce today. 1's resting on his chin with his jaw hanging open, another keeps scratching his head and the guy opposite me is just on facebook....not sure what the other 2 are doing but doubt they're working.so u manage to steal any stress balls yet?

Ok i am not the weirdo in my office any my supervisor is giving me strange looks.

I did steal some but not all them:oops:

Ok lets see if you can do this, start singing old mcdonald.

Original Poster

BlondeBella;5019226

Ok i am not the weirdo in my office any my supervisor is giving me … Ok i am not the weirdo in my office any my supervisor is giving me strange looks.I did steal some but not all them:oops:Ok lets see if you can do this, start singing old mcdonald.

looooooool, cant believe u actually did that.

gimme 2 secs, the manager of the office has just come in lol.

Next dare... call ur supervisor and say "Just called to say I can't talk right now. Bye." then hang up

Original Poster

Done it... well got to
"Old mcdonald had a farm E I E I Ooo[SIZE="1"]oooo[/SIZE]'
lol

Ur turn, just do what i said above
Post a comment
@
    Text