One of your worst nightmares - lift falls 3 meters

Banned 17 replies
Found 11th May 2009
I bet the ones that walked away legs and ankles intact used the good old trick of jumping just before the lift hits the bottom.

BBC News article
news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
17 Comments

Banned

I read that earlier, shocking, especially in a tourist attraction like that. some heads in health and safety will roll and compo will be huge!

lumoruk;5181759

I bet the ones that walked away legs and ankles intact used the good old … I bet the ones that walked away legs and ankles intact used the good old trick of jumping just before the lift hits the bottom.

How would you know when to jump though? You wouldn't know how far, and for how long, the lift would fall :whistling:

emi;5181776

How would you know when to jump though? You wouldn't know how far, and … How would you know when to jump though? You wouldn't know how far, and for how long, the lift would fall :whistling:

I would have jumped on someones back!

what would happen if u layed down quickly b4 it hit the bottom? obv sheiding ur head? i ask as i have a recurring dream about lifts and i always escape un-injured when i do this lol :whistling:

used the good old trick of jumping just before the lift hits the bottom.

Which doesn't work - and for a 3m drop I seriously doubt if anyone had the time to think about doing anything.

Best thing to do is lie on top of the nearest fat person and let them cushion the impact

Original Poster Banned

jakreid;5181809

what would happen if u layed down quickly b4 it hit the bottom? obv … what would happen if u layed down quickly b4 it hit the bottom? obv sheiding ur head? i ask as i have a recurring dream about lifts and i always escape un-injured when i do this lol :whistling:

The injuries to the legs will be from the weight of the upper body crushing the ankles and legs, so yes you would have a better chance of surviving by laying down. Ultimately depending on the speed of the fall your brain smashing against the wall of your skull would kill you.

good job the doors opened right away.....it might of smelled in there otherwise!!!!

Banned

i never take lefts unless i really have to, they petrify me

sassie;5181886

i never take lefts unless i really have to, they petrify me

I prefer turning right too :whistling:

Banned

mbgringo;5181951

I prefer turning right too :whistling:

better than hanging to the right though :w00t:

Original Poster Banned

sassie;5181963

better than hanging to the right though :w00t:

I hang both, depends which way I poke it

Banned

lumoruk;5182039

I hang both, depends which way I poke it

to much information :oops:

They asked this question the other day on QI.

Someone said the best way to survive in a falling lift would be to jump just before it hit the ground, but this is false. Given that you're likely to smash through the ceiling and the added factor that you don't know exactly when you're going to hit the ground.

The most successful method to survive in a falling lift was to "lie down on a fat person."

Given that you were already going at the same velocity as the lift and were you able to jump just before the lift hit you would probably get worse injuries. Its worse being hit by a plank of wood than a plank of wood next to your head already being hit.
Confused - I am.
On a train, if you jump in the air the train doesn't travel away beneath/around you. On BR probably might go backwards..

uk.answers.yahoo.com/que…zCx

Interesting answers here.

I think Mythbusters did a jump test in a falling lift, and it made no difference.

Original Poster Banned

Bobef90;5182225

On a train, if you jump in the air the train doesn't travel away … On a train, if you jump in the air the train doesn't travel away beneath/around you. On BR probably might go backwards...

More interesting is throwing a ball in a car , but it is all down to friction on the object from the wind. Physics is cool really :oops:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What's the best used laptop I can get for £180?25
    2. Android TV box help?33
    3. Issue with Quidco referrals not tracking22
    4. Best phone for spec- canada and uk?11

See more discussions