Oneplus 5 Camera

Found 18th Jul 2017
Anyone own a Oneplus 5? What are your thoughts on the camera?

My OP5 arrived today and I'm extremely underwhelmed. I previously owned a Xaiomi Mi6 (which I dropped and smashed after 1 month 😭) and it's pictures were far superior.

Maybe it's just me, or maybe I have a faulty device but the OP5 pics seem dull, grainy and lacking detail. Indoor performance is worse than my old galaxy S6.

Think I'm going to try and get a refund, although I don't know where I stand with OP customer services.
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I don't mind it, think it's fine.
What disappoints you about it?
It's shocking with extremely poor image quality. It pixelates if you zoom in and lacks sharpness and definition.

Samsung Galaxy 7 or 8 have by far the better camera.
Original Poster
MSK.7 h, 6 m ago

The photos are grainy and pixelated. Indoors if there is any movement in the phone or subject the photos are useless. I'm not even talking about a particularly dark room, just indoors with natural light. Coming from the S6 and then the Mi6 I had gotten used to really usable cameras that replace a stand alone camera but the OP5 just isn't up to scratch. I'm surprised that the OP5 even made it to market with this camera.
Original Poster
coathanger31 m ago

It's shocking with extremely poor image quality. It pixelates if you zoom …It's shocking with extremely poor image quality. It pixelates if you zoom in and lacks sharpness and definition.Samsung Galaxy 7 or 8 have by far the better camera.

Can't comment on the 7 or 8 bit my sg6 does a better job.
Original Poster
ritchiedrama7 h, 45 m ago

I don't mind it, think it's fine.

By comparison to what, what was your last phone? I really want to like this phone but I really can't see how anyone can be happy with the camera performance. Unless I've just landed a faulty model.
Like any camera, in the right hands it can be amazing. Look here:

diyphotography.net/pro…ra/

I've had it for a few weeks now, and have no complaints. With good lighting, you can get excellent shots, but don't expect too much from a 'zoom' lens. It does struggle in low light a bit, but better than most others I've tried. Samsung is clearly the gold standard, and my best images were always with my S7, particularly their low light capabilities. But then again, this is a £400 phone, not a £600 one.
MSK.

jamesk13

Like any camera, in the right hands it can be amazing. Look … Like any camera, in the right hands it can be amazing. Look here:http://www.diyphotography.net/professional-photographers-review-oneplus-5s-camera/I've had it for a few weeks now, and have no complaints. With good lighting, you can get excellent shots, but don't expect too much from a 'zoom' lens. It does struggle in low light a bit, but better than most others I've tried. Samsung is clearly the gold standard, and my best images were always with my S7, particularly their low light capabilities. But then again, this is a £400 phone, not a £600 one.

I don't suppose it has an ISO settings? That was the first thing that came to mind when you said grainy and problems with movement.

Those photos are pretty underwhelming for a professional to be honest.

I'm not sure the price differential makes that much difference. Within that price range you would be comparing a flagship phone to another flagship phone. It's not like comparing it to a £100 Wileyfox. They'll all be a similar price in a few short months!
Original Poster
From a couple of things I have read it seems that the lack of optical image stabilization is the issue, and unfortunately one that can't be fixed with a software update.

I think OP have raised the price to a point where a direct comparison can be made between other flagships (maybe not apple). You can pick up an s8 for about £100 more.
shatteredneon

By comparison to what, what was your last phone? I really want to like … By comparison to what, what was your last phone? I really want to like this phone but I really can't see how anyone can be happy with the camera performance. Unless I've just landed a faulty model.

I've had S8, Oneplus 3, Oneplus 3T now the 5.

I prefer the 5 overall.
Don't have one though DXOMark rates it very highly (Higher score is best). But as you can see this is an overall score, you are much better looking for something which rates highly among the type of photographs you take the most.

dxomark.com/Mob…ter

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/D5wp1QFVFrLqagt5JqPnMr7eX1z5Or9Zyd3-HmSi6x2YOTCSkY5TYeX43bT4_pG1JEF0EJVjV53-YzNb1NjkGx6XzSnqIf4FAQUBsfIwTMpN_34D6wg1I3xWm0UX_M-IiMHufXyJZGb_e5-XBUWLF7vdErWaEDQ-lGllA1RngO0_Hy4LzpPwbrOtRIEUbV6SP3aWz6k4dbEokxikof5jmqoQDmbCetVxlNGdbNKUdBXhLo-H_zl90kzVno-HyWC-jXVAjJlbfyrLmpTVV0mYyN3vyFnElWNQD8bdjVRyxhC16YIeKzzhuS-5YIy0715U3O4a7HCVgBHzym3GQxWfW-ft5FR_MLRq6yLDjtkU2IW4RXwZEieGinGlvwzdzg8rUAXXjB_74VvRHQSTF2R95pc626Zr1WWMg_sEDyhxt3xWKkxiHTBcZ5Ycb6HVehKjK2yfVUWpGKgrUjMT64RQNiwypeSby41DbvuHlEQBb1Rd8qm4oA61Smm4f2dAFjKwD3heyQRSZjN_tNICPzo_bGJHDR7Y8fHjPhDxGsiWe994xA4QdBAkjD2juqX2OpmKlPId2CnTT6e7qRV5ltdodJXWBRuIErmnPuZWS3SpmNyR7UNoxopk-2eQ=w200-h844-no

Original Poster
cecilmcroberts6 h, 34 m ago

Don't have one though DXOMark rates it very highly (Higher score is best). …Don't have one though DXOMark rates it very highly (Higher score is best). But as you can see this is an overall score, you are much better looking for something which rates highly among the type of photographs you take the most. https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/OnePlus-5-review-A-serious-shooter[Image]

From the indoor section of the review...

"Some handheld images display noticeable blur, and although it’s inconsistent, when it occurs, OnePlus 5 images display significantly less detail than its main competitors’"

It's a mobile phone, surely all pictures taken are handheld?

The sample image shown here of the man in the hat (the lower pic) is how all of my indoor pictures come out.

As you can see, blurred and grainy.
shatteredneon

From the indoor section of the review..."Some handheld images display … From the indoor section of the review..."Some handheld images display noticeable blur, and although it’s inconsistent, when it occurs, OnePlus 5 images display significantly less detail than its main competitors’"It's a mobile phone, surely all pictures taken are handheld?The sample image shown here of the man in the hat (the lower pic) is how all of my indoor pictures come out. As you can see, blurred and grainy.

Yeah it's understandable from the sample photographs in the review test I'd be dissapointed also. Hence rather than just going for a phone camera (if that's such an important feature to yourself) with the highest overall score you are better looking into those with the highest scores with the types of photographs you would normally be taking the most with the camera (providing off course you can live with the other possible sacrifices). Even in those same conditions I'd be disappointed with the Pixel considering it used to hold the top spot and now down to 2nd. My own phone the Nexus 6P performs well in the conditions and sample photographs although let down by lack of stabilization in other areas which I admit myself is annoying.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions