Online food shopping - recommendations needed

Posted 6th Jan
Which is the best supermarket for weekly online food shopping?

I would like to switch in order to free up my weekends but not sure who to go for. Lots of different approaches to delivery pricing. Tesco £3.49 midweek delivery saver seems cheap.

Any other things to be aware of that differs across the big super markets? Things such as how they treat substitutes (do they charge you extra if the substitute is pricier), minimum expiry dates of perishables etc

Any help appreciated
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

34 Comments
I know what I would do... Get a pen and paper, use every discount code and do a shop with them all... Then you get to save a pile of money and try them all out and be your own judge... Makes great sense
We only use Ocado, never received a single substitute but as far as I know they give you the option on arrival / before paying re: wherever you wish to keep the replacement item.

Not used any of the other supermarkets for online delivery, but heard horror stories about pretty much all of them.
Use this site and then hopefully you will find the best price for your weekly shop

mysupermarket.co.uk
Sainsburys will charge you more if their substitute is expensive, but will put the difference into your online account to use as a voucher on your next shop. So for example, you order Brand A that costs £1 and then they send you Brand which costs £2, they will charge you £2 and put the £1 difference into your online account. The kicker is that it needs to be used within a certain time - not an issue if you plan to shop weekly, but it means if you don't use it you will lose it.
I use Ocado and I have had a fair few orders with out of stock/substitute items, but they do give freebies from time to time, so it kind of balances it out. Have also used ASDA they were ok.
Mostly I use Ocado, much better quality food.

Recently I used Tesco as I had a £20 discount code, I was shocked to find out that none of the shopping came in bags in the crates. Having to take the crates into my house and tipping its contents onto the kitchen floor was a bit annoying. I know bags aren't free in store but, when things are getting delivered to your house you expect some kind of packaging.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 6th Jan
J4GG406/01/2020 19:49

Mostly I use Ocado, much better quality food.Recently I used Tesco as I …Mostly I use Ocado, much better quality food.Recently I used Tesco as I had a £20 discount code, I was shocked to find out that none of the shopping came in bags in the crates. Having to take the crates into my house and tipping its contents onto the kitchen floor was a bit annoying. I know bags aren't free in store but, when things are getting delivered to your house you expect some kind of packaging.

Yeah I stopped online shopping with Tesco because of that. I would rather pay for the bags than have the stress of unpacking everything from the crates and there was a program on TV about the crates being dirty
J4GG406/01/2020 19:49

Mostly I use Ocado, much better quality food.Recently I used Tesco as I …Mostly I use Ocado, much better quality food.Recently I used Tesco as I had a £20 discount code, I was shocked to find out that none of the shopping came in bags in the crates. Having to take the crates into my house and tipping its contents onto the kitchen floor was a bit annoying. I know bags aren't free in store but, when things are getting delivered to your house you expect some kind of packaging.

You've touched on something there re: the bag issue, with Ocado we usually receive items packaged up using frankly way too many carrier bags (example - yesterday, one bag contained one carton of soya only, another bag contained a pack of toothbrushes only - £40 worth of shopping was essentially delivered in 18 bags). At the end of the day, we never have a problem with their service, their drivers/staff are always really cheerful regardless of time of day or weather etc, and as mentioned earlier we've never once had a substitute. We know the stock is coming from a central warehouse with robots and the like doing a lot of the leg work, so when they happy to refund you for every single bag used you can sorta see beyond this bagging issue and let it go.

On the flipside, I regularly hear of people having problems with Tescos and Sainsburys - I think the key difference with these firms is that orders are picked and shipped from your local store as opposed to centrally, so the quality is invariably going to differ from store to store and region to region.
joeydeacon06/01/2020 20:29

You've touched on something there re: the bag issue, with Ocado we usually …You've touched on something there re: the bag issue, with Ocado we usually receive items packaged up using frankly way too many carrier bags (example - yesterday, one bag contained one carton of soya only, another bag contained a pack of toothbrushes only - £40 worth of shopping was essentially delivered in 18 bags). At the end of the day, we never have a problem with their service, their drivers/staff are always really cheerful regardless of time of day or weather etc, and as mentioned earlier we've never once had a substitute. We know the stock is coming from a central warehouse with robots and the like doing a lot of the leg work, so when they happy to refund you for every single bag used you can sorta see beyond this bagging issue and let it go.On the flipside, I regularly hear of people having problems with Tescos and Sainsburys - I think the key difference with these firms is that orders are picked and shipped from your local store as opposed to centrally, so the quality is invariably going to differ from store to store and region to region.

We reuse bags over and over until they develop holes. So they are used, rather than dumped in the sea. Trust me, you'd rather have 20 bags with 1 item per bag than massive dirty green crates in your house scraping up your door frames as you shimmy your way to the kitchen.

Ocado bags are also decent quality.

One thing i didnt mention about tesco was the meat quality, its not that great. Asda is OK, their organic free range chicken is nice. Never tried Sainsbury's for online shopping though, will give them a go if any offers pop up.
If I could I would use Waitrose or Ocado but they don't deliver to me. I haven't ordered groceries online in years badically cos I do like to go for the reduced stuff plus I shop at Heron Foods a lot now.
We do asda
I use Tesco and no problems at all. I'm sure people will have good and bad experiences sometimes.
I can see the point of cutting down on plastic bags but it's much easier to unload the shopping that way.
We use tesco for home delivery.. We have tried a few others too, Sainsbury's, Asda. Tesco is the one we always end up shopping with again. Also if you'd like no substitutions you can click that on each item instead of just having a bunch of substitutions you wouldn't have normally picked. Tescos customer service comes out top too if you ever have any problems with your order..
Iceland is pretty good, I use them quite often.
Tried them all. Tesco easily the best as delivery is free if you use your clubcard points to buy a delivery saver, substitution policy is excellent although 99% of items arrive. Most importantly, their website and app are very intuitive and its easy to see which items you have bought previously are on offer. We spend an average of £40 per week on all our Groceries (2 adults). Defeats the object of online shopping if it takes an hour to do it each week

Ocado were far too expensive. Asda & morrisons failed to deliver even 80% of items in the orders.

Iceland are great for a monthly chest freezer top up.

Whichever you choose, setup a deal alert with hukd for that particular store.
Edited by: "chocci" 7th Jan
I have been shopping with Tesco for years but since they stopped delivering in bags I have switch to Ocado. Would go back to Tesco if they started delivering in bags again but until then no.
nannafish07/01/2020 07:14

I have been shopping with Tesco for years but since they stopped …I have been shopping with Tesco for years but since they stopped delivering in bags I have switch to Ocado. Would go back to Tesco if they started delivering in bags again but until then no.

Is it that bad that they unpack the delivery straight on to your worktops? Makes it easier for me than carrier bags that I'm forced to pay for by other retailers.
I use Mrs.Erudite.
I simply email her a list of groceries that we're low on. She even puts them in the fridge.
The service is a bit patchy, but there are excellent member-benefits. YMMV
nannafish07/01/2020 07:14

I have been shopping with Tesco for years but since they stopped …I have been shopping with Tesco for years but since they stopped delivering in bags I have switch to Ocado. Would go back to Tesco if they started delivering in bags again but until then no.

Don't know why tesco won't spend some money and invest in compostable bags like co-op..I admit it does make it annoying taking all the shopping out of the crate but I get my partner to unload anyway..
i would get delivery from the supermarket that you are happy to shop with normally as the food quality is what you are happy with. i have had deliveries from asda, tesco, sainsburys, ocado, morrisons and i prefer sainsburys as that is my favourite supermarket. their delivery charge is cheaper than tesco and asda.

if you use tesco or asda regularly you can get a monthly delivery pass, which then makes it more cost effective.

i always choose no substitute but tesco still give me substitute. but i have the option to refuse the substitute at the door. they give you more expensive substitute for the same price so the few times that this has happened, i have agreed to keep the substitute.

asda delivery is poor i find as they often don't have stuff in and the grocery delivery is often incomplete. they run out of the most basic things, like potatoes or bananas! however they are pretty cheap.
Edited by: "mutley1" 7th Jan
Thanks for all the responses!

I think I'll try at least Tesco, Sainsburys and Asda using whatever offers are available. I'll try Tesco first as they're my usual anyway. They definitely never do bags now? Can't even pay extra for bags?

Sounds like Tesco have best substitute policy and good feedback on their site/app

Another question - do any of them have the ability to create like an automated list? E.g if I have say 15 items I almost always buy every week can I have them all added at the press of one button?
Edited by: "Cameron92" 7th Jan
Cameron9207/01/2020 22:42

Thanks for all the responses! I think I'll try at least Tesco, Sainsburys …Thanks for all the responses! I think I'll try at least Tesco, Sainsburys and Asda using whatever offers are available. I'll try Tesco first as they're my usual anyway. They definitely never do bags now? Can't even pay extra for bags?Sounds like Tesco have best substitute policy and good feedback on their site/appAnother question - do any of them have the ability to create like an automated list? E.g if I have say 15 items I almost always buy every week can I have them all added at the press of one button?

Yes saved list on mysupermarket.co.uk

Thanks for all the responses! I think I'll try at least Tesco, Sainsburys …Thanks for all the responses! I think I'll try at least Tesco, Sainsburys and Asda using whatever offers are available. I'll try Tesco first as they're my usual anyway. They definitely never do bags now? Can't even pay extra for bags?Sounds like Tesco have best substitute policy and good feedback on their site/appAnother question - do any of them have the ability to create like an automated list? E.g if I have say 15 items I almost always buy every week can I have them all added at the press of one button?

It's actually a clever system with Tesco they will realise what you order or you can add your usual items into your "favourite" easy to just add into the basket that way.
Alexandralocks07/01/2020 23:05

It's actually a clever system with Tesco they will realise what you order …It's actually a clever system with Tesco they will realise what you order or you can add your usual items into your "favourite" easy to just add into the basket that way.

It can sometimes be a bit weird with what it selects though. I just add my last two orders into my basket (just a few clicks needed), then remove what I dont want.

Top tip - the app allows you to view every item that you have previously ordered that is now on offer (the website does not allow this). Then bulk buy items when on offer. Saves a fortune in the long run.

tesco give new customers free delivery for the first month. if you do go on and use them in future, you can choose the flexible delivery slots, which give a time slot for the delivery and they only tell you on the delivery day itself, the actual time within the time slot. this is cheaper than standard delivery, which is quite expensive.

they all have your favourite shopping items or last shopping items stored but you have to choose the items from the list to buy again as most people will want to vary the list or the quantity. i never order with bags as i find that to be a waste of money. they bring all the stuff into the house for you in their delivery boxes and you can just take the stuff out from the boxes before they leave so i don't see the point for the bags for home deliveries. they do use bags for the frozen foods, but you don't pay for that.
nandito06/01/2020 20:13

Yeah I stopped online shopping with Tesco because of that. I would rather …Yeah I stopped online shopping with Tesco because of that. I would rather pay for the bags than have the stress of unpacking everything from the crates and there was a program on TV about the crates being dirty

I used to get Tesco delivery 10 years ago (so before bags were charged for at the supermarket) and the driver brought the crates into the kitchen of my flat I unpacked them with no issues. Since then we got a car so we use Costco more.
Worrying about them being dirty feels a bit pointless too, the shelves, warehouse, trolleys and the hands of the people picking up the goods are all dirty too. No matter if shopping online or in-store wash fruit and veg before use and good basic hygiene standards and you will be fine.
jon81uk08/01/2020 11:20

I used to get Tesco delivery 10 years ago (so before bags were charged for …I used to get Tesco delivery 10 years ago (so before bags were charged for at the supermarket) and the driver brought the crates into the kitchen of my flat I unpacked them with no issues. Since then we got a car so we use Costco more.Worrying about them being dirty feels a bit pointless too, the shelves, warehouse, trolleys and the hands of the people picking up the goods are all dirty too. No matter if shopping online or in-store wash fruit and veg before use and good basic hygiene standards and you will be fine.

Dirty vans also apparently
walesonline.co.uk/new…047
goldy1208/01/2020 11:29

Dirty vans also apparently …Dirty vans also apparently https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/tesco-delivery-vans-dirty-cleaned-17527047

Again probably not worth worrying about, the warehouse, shop shelf, workers hands, checkout will all also be dirty to some extent.
jon81uk08/01/2020 11:20

I used to get Tesco delivery 10 years ago (so before bags were charged for …I used to get Tesco delivery 10 years ago (so before bags were charged for at the supermarket) and the driver brought the crates into the kitchen of my flat I unpacked them with no issues. Since then we got a car so we use Costco more.Worrying about them being dirty feels a bit pointless too, the shelves, warehouse, trolleys and the hands of the people picking up the goods are all dirty too. No matter if shopping online or in-store wash fruit and veg before use and good basic hygiene standards and you will be fine.

The thing is that when I go out to Supermarkets I always have my own jute bags but I would like to have the choice to pay for the bags that's delivered because I am disabled and it was easier for me when the shopping came in the bags. The drivers always seemed in a hurry and even then before I could take the bags out of one crate they were standing waiting to put the next one on top and I found it stressful then, so I'm sure it would be worse now.
goldy1208/01/2020 11:29

Dirty vans also apparently …Dirty vans also apparently https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/tesco-delivery-vans-dirty-cleaned-17527047

Yuk
mutley108/01/2020 11:02

tesco give new customers free delivery for the first month. if you do go …tesco give new customers free delivery for the first month. if you do go on and use them in future, you can choose the flexible delivery slots, which give a time slot for the delivery and they only tell you on the delivery day itself, the actual time within the time slot. this is cheaper than standard delivery, which is quite expensive.they all have your favourite shopping items or last shopping items stored but you have to choose the items from the list to buy again as most people will want to vary the list or the quantity. i never order with bags as i find that to be a waste of money. they bring all the stuff into the house for you in their delivery boxes and you can just take the stuff out from the boxes before they leave so i don't see the point for the bags for home deliveries. they do use bags for the frozen foods, but you don't pay for that.

Not sure if I count as new customer. Have club card. Used tesco direct a few times over the years before it shut and perhaps a tesco delivery once or twice at uni 6+ years ago
nandito08/01/2020 12:06

The thing is that when I go out to Supermarkets I always have my own jute …The thing is that when I go out to Supermarkets I always have my own jute bags but I would like to have the choice to pay for the bags that's delivered because I am disabled and it was easier for me when the shopping came in the bags. The drivers always seemed in a hurry and even then before I could take the bags out of one crate they were standing waiting to put the next one on top and I found it stressful then, so I'm sure it would be worse now.

All the Tesco drivers I have used over the years have unpacked the crates on to my worktop when asked. It's part of their job so they will do it. Asda and Iceland just unpack at your front door.

Tesco faq

I need some extra help with my order, how can you help me?You can let us know ahead of your order if you have any special requirements by filling in the delivery notes box on the ‘book a slot’ page. This must be done via our website as this feature is currently not available on the app. Once you’ve added a note and checked out the order via our website, the note for that delivery address will be saved and we’ll see it every time you shop, whether by website or app.

Some customers tell us they require more time to answer the door, would like assistance unpacking in their kitchen or at the front door, as well as other ways we could help.

Our drivers have been given information on how they could support customers who may be mobility-constrained, have disabilities or are caring for someone. We receive great feedback on our driver service, but if our driver doesn’t volunteer to help, just ask them to, even if it is to help unpack indoors.

We’ve also allocated extra delivery time at the door so that all our customers can have the pressure-free assistance they need
Edited by: "chocci" 8th Jan
chocci08/01/2020 14:37

All the Tesco drivers I have used over the years have unpacked the crates …All the Tesco drivers I have used over the years have unpacked the crates on to my worktop when asked. It's part of their job so they will do it. Asda and Iceland just unpack at your front door.Tesco faqI need some extra help with my order, how can you help me?You can let us know ahead of your order if you have any special requirements by filling in the delivery notes box on the ‘book a slot’ page. This must be done via our website as this feature is currently not available on the app. Once you’ve added a note and checked out the order via our website, the note for that delivery address will be saved and we’ll see it every time you shop, whether by website or app.Some customers tell us they require more time to answer the door, would like assistance unpacking in their kitchen or at the front door, as well as other ways we could help.Our drivers have been given information on how they could support customers who may be mobility-constrained, have disabilities or are caring for someone. We receive great feedback on our driver service, but if our driver doesn’t volunteer to help, just ask them to, even if it is to help unpack indoors.We’ve also allocated extra delivery time at the door so that all our customers can have the pressure-free assistance they need

Cameron9208/01/2020 13:53

Not sure if I count as new customer. Have club card. Used tesco direct a …Not sure if I count as new customer. Have club card. Used tesco direct a few times over the years before it shut and perhaps a tesco delivery once or twice at uni 6+ years ago

new customer for groceries delivery so you could use a different email address and i assume you have a different address since you last used grocery deliveries, so you could sign up for the one month of free trial of grocery delivery.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions