Online Gaming Lag With Virgin Media

Found 3rd Dec 2013
Hi guys

I have the Virgin Optic fibre connection... Not sure what speed but usually very fast (around 20mbps to 50mbps), However, I've noticed there was a hell of a lot of "jitter" when online gaming. Especially noticeable in Fifa. Since I got my PS4 I was not in the mood to be dealing with that so decided to try a fix. Virgin is known to be very fast but also be poor for online gaming because of this jitter issue.

You might want to go to pingtest.net and run a couple before and after tests.

Here is what I did and it seemed to work flawlessly. Where before it was constantly stuttering and crazy high jitter, it is now silky smooth 99% of the time. Here is what I did.

Log into your router. type 192.168.0.1 into your browser and log in. I have the (bog)standard virgin superhub so not sure if this'll be different for a different router.

Once in, click on "advanced settings"

Then in the security section, click on "firewall"

Here, make sure the firewall protection is set to "low," and untick every other thing APART from Multicast pass-through. Make sure Port Scan Detection and IP Flood Detection are both DISABLED.

Then click apply. Close your browser, and (optional) disconnect your router for 30 seconds and plug it back in.

This solved the problem for me so hopefully will help others too.

With pingtest, I noticed the jitter rating climbed very high and unstable when gaming online, but was fine when not gaming. Now it is fine all the time.

Good luck.
Community Updates
7 Comments
Good work man! you deserve a virtual sticker would you like a yellow one with purple stars or purple with yellow stars?

forget that have both!

What I did to my PS4/PS3 was put it in the same room as the router and away from any other consoles and even when the whole family use the internet/wi fi at the same time I remain lag free
UnhappyGamer

Good work man! you deserve a virtual sticker would you like a yellow … Good work man! you deserve a virtual sticker would you like a yellow one with purple stars or purple with yellow stars?forget that have both!What I did to my PS4/PS3 was put it in the same room as the router and away from any other consoles and even when the whole family use the internet/wi fi at the same time I remain lag free

X) no prob

Did this help you then, or was it working okay before?

I've always had my one wired in so not sure how it would perform on wireless. But I'm glad to here you are lag free. The constant stuttering was driving me insane before this fix X)
My friends was telling me something last night over green tea and Battlefield you can buy some form of cable that plugs into your mains and then into your router/console. It may use up your electric but it helps with your connection.

My brother has the Ethernet cable running from the console to the router while I am wireless and the mount of times he yells (I'm lagging) is roughly 3-1 to me yelling back (I'm lagging too, *beeping* Fifa servers! [Like you do])
There dns isn't great I switch to 208.67.200.200 +208.67.220.220 wireless connection maybe others you can look up for wired .firewall off 300mbps channel auto
deleted335097
Yes, I have noticed lag the last few weeks, anyone else?
I first got Virgin a couple of months ago. I made a thread on here asking if anyone else gets buffering in You Tube and catch up TV.

Catch Up TV seems to be OK now but You Tube is still a nightmare. Last night I had catch up TV on one laptop, You Tube on the other and was playing Deezer on my phone through wi-fi.

I can honestly say that You Tube was simply unwatchable, playing about 3 seoncds of video every 10 seconds then back to buffering for another 10 seconds or so.

I get decent speeds when doing a speed check, however I have never been into the router settings so may have a bit play about with it. I got my Cisco CCNA last year so it may come in handy for once.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions