Online order Packaging - Share your best or worst

Found 18th Sep 2017Edited by:"Oneday77"
Well it's been said before that online deliveries can leave a lot to be desired. If it isn't on your roof or in the bin, what else can they screw up.

Amazon is very well known for packaging excess. Why use an envelope when a .5m square box will do, etc.

Yesterday was a new on me. After much messing about with Amazon pre-order graphics cards, I bit the bullet and ordered something in stock. I was a little shocked at the packaging it came in, photos in post 1. Can you beat this or provide a compliment to a retailer.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
I ordered a windscreen wiper from Amazon.
I took a photo of the box with my six year old daughter curled up inside. There was still room for the windscreen wiper.
32021095-intaQ.jpg
Edited by: "fivegoldstars" 18th Sep 2017
deeky8 h, 22 m ago

They're usually pretty sensible with the adult stuff.

Hmmm

32027315-R4fLs.jpg
31 Comments
Original Poster
32019593-MnRfY.jpg
32019593-akKzJ.jpgThat's it. The factory shrink wrapped box delivered with an address label on it.
Even then a £200+ item and no signature required. I think it's obvious what was in the package.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 18th Sep 2017
That's pretty dire, was it a marketplace seller?
The same happened to a mate of mine when he ordered a couple of LPs from Amazon once! I know there is an option somewhere for 'environmental packaging' or similar but some sense wouldn't go amiss sometimes!
My daughter recently bought a lipstick from someone on an app all the kids are using. Didn't receive it, told the person and she just said well I sent it. So opened a case and the seller was barred from the app.
2 weeks later got a note saying there's a item at the PO which needs more postage paying. We went to pick it up, and literally the seller had just put it in an envelope and not put any stamps or postage what so ever.

The writing on the envelope looked a lot like child's writing! Lol I thought it was quite funny as I told my daughter to ask me before she buys anything (so I can access if the seller seems decent or not) taught her a lesson
That is shocking.

My last order came in a huge box that barely fit through the door and there was so much packing inside, it covered my kitchen floor completey. Sounds like it must have been fragile?I had ordered two pillows.
Original Poster
spoo19 m ago

That's pretty dire, was it a marketplace seller?

Nope Amazon themselves.
Oneday7743 m ago

[Image] [Image] That's it. The factory shrink wrapped box delivered with …[Image] [Image] That's it. The factory shrink wrapped box delivered with an address label on it.Even then a £200+ item and no signature required. I think it's obvious what was in the package.

you could contact Amazon about it , upload a pic to link them to in your message and just complain about it i had same happen with a wall bracket . just basically say how bad the packaging is and that the item could of fell out by not being in a box etc etc. they usually end up giving you a voucher.
Oneday7717 m ago

Nope Amazon themselves.

The same thing happened to me 4 years ago for a projector that I bought for £550, from Amazon themselves.
32020015-oSEao.jpg
phoos or photos
Oneday7754 m ago

[Image] [Image] That's it. The factory shrink wrapped box delivered with …[Image] [Image] That's it. The factory shrink wrapped box delivered with an address label on it.Even then a £200+ item and no signature required. I think it's obvious what was in the package.

Three lumps of clay ?
597326973-1505738521.jpg

32020187-8rfFw.jpg

Ear rings, two packs.
Original Poster
kester761 h, 4 m ago

Three lumps of clay ?

How did you know?
Original Poster
joesmum1 h, 5 m ago

phoos or photos

You got me. I hope you help Joe with his spelling too.
Oneday7729 m ago

How did you know?

Joking aside a lot of people got stung with the ipad clay scams. One of the main reasons it not a good idea to advertise the box contents.
I ordered a windscreen wiper from Amazon.
I took a photo of the box with my six year old daughter curled up inside. There was still room for the windscreen wiper.
32021095-intaQ.jpg
Edited by: "fivegoldstars" 18th Sep 2017
Oneday772 h, 57 m ago

Had exactly the same happen when I ordered a 1050ti for my HTPC. It was just handed to me by the postie. Quite concerning really.
Original Poster
fivegoldstars39 m ago

I ordered a windscreen wiper from Amazon.I took a photo of the box with my …I ordered a windscreen wiper from Amazon.I took a photo of the box with my six year old daughter curled up inside. There was still room for the windscreen wiper.[Image]

I reckon the picker expected a windscreen too.
I am sure you are right to be upset about your package being poorly wrapped

'Why use an envelope when a .5m square box will do'

this however is done for a reason namely making what you have bought cheaper
both for you and Amazon
and seeing as they now use paper rather than plastic very few enviromental concerns
Couple of years ago I ordered a grass rake (just the head, no handle) from a so-called "Business Seller" on eBay.
It arrived in a tatty Tesco carrier bag (one of the thin 5p ones) held together with a single piece of masking tape. Some of the prongs were sticking out through the bag and my address was scrawled on it in terrible handwriting using a felt tip pen which had smudged badly so that all that was ledgible was my name and the postcode.
Full marks to Royal Mail for managing to deliver it though.
Original Poster
Wongy1101 h, 16 m ago

I am sure you are right to be upset about your package being poorly …I am sure you are right to be upset about your package being poorly wrapped 'Why use an envelope when a .5m square box will do'this however is done for a reason namely making what you have bought cheaper both for you and Amazonand seeing as they now use paper rather than plastic very few enviromental concerns

To be fair I'm not really upset. I was just shocked at the complete lack of packaging. It just shows Amazon as an example do really go from one extreme to another.

Most other packaging recently considering I've bought multiple PC components over the last few weeks has been fine.

Just glad I didn't order any adult material.
Oneday777 m ago

To be fair I'm not really upset. I was just shocked at the complete lack …To be fair I'm not really upset. I was just shocked at the complete lack of packaging. It just shows Amazon as an example do really go from one extreme to another. Most other packaging recently considering I've bought multiple PC components over the last few weeks has been fine. Just glad I didn't order any adult material.

32023089-7pbtc.jpgoh well maybe next time they will send the 'wrong' item
The Hut have a tendency to send things like (flat) calendars in fairly sizeable boxes - these would have been something like 20-30cm deep.
Oneday779 h, 54 m ago

I dunno if it was the case for your graphics card, but on sometimes, there is a sneaky 'dispatch in Amazon box' button:

32025525-JQ1kP.jpg
32025525-6w7rH.jpg
It doesn't usually arrive in an Amazon box, just a massive postage bag or plastic bag. But it's useful if it's important that the box arrives in pristine condition.

I'm not really minding the massive Amazon boxes. I almost always re-use them.
Original Poster
MSK.19 m ago

I dunno if it was the case for your graphics card, but on sometimes, there …I dunno if it was the case for your graphics card, but on sometimes, there is a sneaky 'dispatch in Amazon box' button:[Image] [Image] It doesn't usually arrive in an Amazon box, just a massive postage bag or plastic bag. But it's useful if it's important that the box arrives in pristine condition.I'm not really minding the massive Amazon boxes. I almost always re-use them.

Even wrapped in rice paper it would have looked more secure.
The guy who delivered it barely looked old enough to drive. I certainly got a knowing look.

I'll keep an eye out for that button.
Oneday775 h, 26 m ago

To be fair I'm not really upset. I was just shocked at the complete lack …To be fair I'm not really upset. I was just shocked at the complete lack of packaging. It just shows Amazon as an example do really go from one extreme to another. Most other packaging recently considering I've bought multiple PC components over the last few weeks has been fine. Just glad I didn't order any adult material.

I won an ebay auction for a playing card sized card for 6p with free postage.

It arrived in a sellotaped up walkers salt and vinegar crisp packet with the address and stamp on the front!!

Couldn't help but laugh, clearly the seller lost out as postage was obviously more than 6p
Original Poster
deeky8 h, 4 m ago

Is that from experience by ordering for the Summer collection?
Satan_Claws41 m ago

I won an ebay auction for a playing card sized card for 6p with free …I won an ebay auction for a playing card sized card for 6p with free postage.It arrived in a sellotaped up walkers salt and vinegar crisp packet with the address and stamp on the front!!Couldn't help but laugh, clearly the seller lost out as postage was obviously more than 6p

Haha did you lick the flavouring off the packet?
deeky8 h, 22 m ago

Hmmm

32027315-R4fLs.jpg
LeahsMintytoutou8 h, 25 m ago

Haha did you lick the flavouring off the packet?

I think he had actually cleaned it inside as there was no trace of crisps on it
fivegoldstars18th Sep

I ordered a windscreen wiper from Amazon.I took a photo of the box with my …I ordered a windscreen wiper from Amazon.I took a photo of the box with my six year old daughter curled up inside. There was still room for the windscreen wiper.[Image]

I didn't realise there was a person in the box the first two times I looked at that picture
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants