Online purchase not refunded the postage

Posted 7th Nov
Hello,
Not to sure where I stand with this I purchased an item online was a sponge type protector and not the spray version. Sent it back to get an exchange but the cost was really expensive so asked for a refund. They only refunded the item price and not the postage.

This was done through paypal but if I knew this I would have used the PayPal returns on them instead of the returns label for exchange. The company claim the free returns is only for exchange but then they charged me a higher amount for the spray. I just don't know where I stand in regards to getting the original postage costs refunded. Any ideas or suggestion folks? Might have to lay this one down to experience I just not sure if PayPal can cover this as I'm not that happy with the service that company provided.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
Was it sent back as faulty or just cause you didn't want it? How long did you have it before you sent it back?
Some companys don't pay the return, if it's you who no longer wants the item, you pay for the return as they'll say it's not their fault you don't like it or no longer want it.
Oh and was the company well know or some small one?
did they send you the wrong item?
Toon_army07/11/2019 19:38

Was it sent back as faulty or just cause you didn't want it? How long did …Was it sent back as faulty or just cause you didn't want it? How long did you have it before you sent it back?Some companys don't pay the return, if it's you who no longer wants the item, you pay for the return as they'll say it's not their fault you don't like it or no longer want it. Oh and was the company well know or some small one?

I wasn't meaning the return postage I was meaning the postage when they sent the item. Admittedly it might have been my fault cause I thought it was the spray I purchased and it was the sponge instead.
J113507/11/2019 19:47

did they send you the wrong item?

I maybe should have checked as I didn't realise there was a spray and sponge version. So I guess that would be my fault. I just thought they would refund for the original postage of the item maybe only some companies do that.
If purchased online from a UK-based trader and you notified the trader of your intention to return under CCR 2013 within 14 days of receiving the item, then:
the trader must refund the cost of both the goods and the original shipping charges for the item to be delivered to you (but not any additional expedited delivery costs for the item to reach you quicker than standard delivery).
You fund the return shipping to the trader, unless the trader volunteers to pay (or you have some other legitimate recovery route).
If you have been sent a defective / incorrect item, the trader pays shipping both ways, but this may be complicated if you chose to accept a replacement and later changed your mind, in which case it would (should) revert to trader-covers-original-shipping and customer-covers-return-shipping.
cryptons07/11/2019 20:09

I maybe should have checked as I didn't realise there was a spray and …I maybe should have checked as I didn't realise there was a spray and sponge version. So I guess that would be my fault. I just thought they would refund for the original postage of the item maybe only some companies do that.

they are entitled not to refund the postage that they had paid for when they sent you the item. they will have to refund this only if they sent you the wrong item or something that is faulty. if you had chosen to buy an item that is not suitable then they are entitled to deduct the postage cost from the refund, unless the item did not have a postage cost quoted, so it was free delivery.
AndyRoyd07/11/2019 20:15

If purchased online from a UK-based trader and you notified the trader of …If purchased online from a UK-based trader and you notified the trader of your intention to return under CCR 2013 within 14 days of receiving the item, then: the trader must refund the cost of both the goods and the original shipping charges for the item to be delivered to you (but not any additional expedited delivery costs for the item to reach you quicker than standard delivery). You fund the return shipping to the trader, unless the trader volunteers to pay (or you have some other legitimate recovery route).If you have been sent a defective / incorrect item, the trader pays shipping both ways, but this may be complicated if you chose to accept a replacement and later changed your mind, in which case it would (should) revert to trader-covers-original-shipping and customer-covers-return-shipping.

Thanks everyone for your input. It was within the time frame ordered the 25th October 2019 2-3 days to deliver to me. I guess in this instance I have no right to my full refund with postage. Thanks though for explaining things.
mutley107/11/2019 20:29

they are entitled not to refund the postage that they had paid for when …they are entitled not to refund the postage that they had paid for when they sent you the item. they will have to refund this only if they sent you the wrong item or something that is faulty. if you had chosen to buy an item that is not suitable then they are entitled to deduct the postage cost from the refund, unless the item did not have a postage cost quoted, so it was free delivery.

Politely Mutters: that is complete utter disinformation and rubbish (assuming UK-based trader). All UK-based traders must cover/refund the cost of sending the item to the consumer if the consumer has satisfied the requirements of the return. The wording of the legisaltion is absolutely emphatically undisputably obligating the trader covering the cost (unless there's an equally absolutely emphatically undisputable as yet unidentified get-out-of-jail card for the trader):
"...the trader must reimburse any payment for delivery received from the consumer up to the amount the consumer would have paid if the consumer had chosen the least expensive common and generally acceptable kind of delivery offered by the trader...."
lifted from CCR 2013 blah blah para 3 at legislation.gov.uk/uks…ade
where the context is burried in a load of waffle at legislation.gov.uk/uks…ade
It would be helpful for OP if you could find the trader's get-out-of-jail card so OP could prepare a counter claim.
AndyRoyd07/11/2019 20:40

Politely Mutters: that is complete utter disinformation and rubbish …Politely Mutters: that is complete utter disinformation and rubbish (assuming UK-based trader). All UK-based traders must cover/refund the cost of sending the item to the consumer if the consumer has satisfied the requirements of the return. The wording of the legisaltion is absolutely emphatically undisputably obligating the trader covering the cost (unless there's an equally absolutely emphatically undisputable as yet unidentified get-out-of-jail card for the trader):"...the trader must reimburse any payment for delivery received from the consumer up to the amount the consumer would have paid if the consumer had chosen the least expensive common and generally acceptable kind of delivery offered by the trader...."lifted from CCR 2013 blah blah para 3 at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/34/madewhere the context is burried in a load of waffle at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/madeIt would be helpful for OP if you could find the trader's get-out-of-jail card so OP could prepare a counter claim.

if the buyer bought something that was not suitable because they did not read the product description correctly, made false assumptions about the product, did not read the product description, then i do not see why the seller has to refund the postage that he had spent sending the product. it is not his fault that the buyer has bought the wrong item so why should he be out of pocket?

fair enough if the product is of poor quality then the buyer is entitled to return it, but in this case the OP said that she had chosen a wrong product because she thought it was something else.
Edited by: "mutley1" 7th Nov
mutley107/11/2019 20:48

if the buyer bought something that was not suitable because they did not …if the buyer bought something that was not suitable because they did not read the product description correctly, made false assumptions about the product, did not read the product description, then i do not see why the seller has to refund the postage that he had spent sending the product. it is not his fault that the buyer has bought the wrong item so why should he be out of pocket?fair enough if the product is of poor quality then the buyer is entitled to return it, but in this case the OP said that she had chosen a wrong product because she thought it was something else.

It’s law they must refund the full price. Whether we agree with that or not is besides the point.
It’s the cost for you to return the order that they do not need to refund as it was your error/change of mind.
mutley107/11/2019 20:48

if the buyer bought something that was not suitable because they did not …if the buyer bought something that was not suitable because they did not read the product description correctly, made false assumptions about the product, did not read the product description, then i do not see why the seller has to refund the postage that he had spent sending the product. it is not his fault that the buyer has bought the wrong item so why should he be out of pocket?

I agree with your sentiment, but the law says otherwise to protect the consumer from the dubious trader who deliberately charges over-inflated prices for shipping to discourage change-of-mind / unsuitable returns for items that the law says the consumer should be able to assess as if on the trader's premises.
Politely Mutters:........................... "The wording of the legisaltion is absolutely emphatically undisputably obligating the trader covering the cost (unless there's an equally absolutely emphatically undisputable as yet unidentified get-out-of-jail card for the trader):"

Thanks for clearing that up.
Ringfinger07/11/2019 21:21

Politely Mutters:........................... "The wording of the …Politely Mutters:........................... "The wording of the legisaltion is absolutely emphatically undisputably obligating the trader covering the cost (unless there's an equally absolutely emphatically undisputable as yet unidentified get-out-of-jail card for the trader):" Thanks for clearing that up.

You may have missed the context, which was mutters' incorrect application of the legislation.
But we don't know all the circumstances, so there may be a GOOJC that trumps the indicated legislation.
Trust that is now not even as clear as mud.
If it’s their fault - faulty/wrong item sent = postage and item refund
If you order wrong thing = you pay postage and get item refund only

Note: There are some extremely incorrect interpretations of the law in some of the posts above.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 8th Nov
cmdr_elito08/11/2019 02:21

If it’s their fault - faulty/wrong item sent = postage and item refundIf y …If it’s their fault - faulty/wrong item sent = postage and item refundIf you order wrong thing = you pay postage and get item refund only Note: There are some extremely incorrect interpretations of the law in some of the posts above.

No. The trader covers the cost to ship the item to the customer, even in instances of return due to customer's change of mind. The quoted legislation states this, and is replicated by credible consumer advisors such as Which:
"...The following advice applies to you if your online order arrived on time as expected and you’d now like to return it because you no longer want it... After returning the goods, the retailer should refund you the cost of the goods and the standard delivery cost you paid to get the goods sent to you in the first place..."
which.co.uk/con…ine
From the sounds of it OP did not pay return postage (due to wanting an exchange), they then changed mind about replacement (due to cost) so the "free return postage" was no longer free. Therefore they have taken the cost of the return postage out of the refund which leaves the original item price.

So:

Item = £10
Postage = £3
Return Postage = £3

Total Cost £16
Total Paid £13

So customer owes £3

Refund = £10
Edited by: "Satan_Claws" 8th Nov
AndyRoyd is correct, under CCRs the cost of postage with distance sales is always included as part of cost of item and must be refunded.
Only the liability for return postage can be disputed on whether or not the item is unwanted or not fit for purpose.
cmdr_elito08/11/2019 02:21

If it’s their fault - faulty/wrong item sent = postage and item refundIf y …If it’s their fault - faulty/wrong item sent = postage and item refundIf you order wrong thing = you pay postage and get item refund only Note: There are some extremely incorrect interpretations of the law in some of the posts above.

I don't think that's the case yes it's not fair on the trader, but it's part of the distance Seller rules. That is one of the benefits of disadvantages of selling online the customer can return items change of mind at there own cost but original costs need to be paid back by seller.
cryptons07/11/2019 20:36

Thanks everyone for your input. It was within the time frame ordered the …Thanks everyone for your input. It was within the time frame ordered the 25th October 2019 2-3 days to deliver to me. I guess in this instance I have no right to my full refund with postage. Thanks though for explaining things.

I think you didn't understand you have a right too full refund of the postage that the company charged in first place but not for return, if it's within time frame unless you paid for quicker delivery then they just need pay back the price of normal delivery. Look up distance selling and change of mind rules.
Satan_Claws08/11/2019 07:45

From the sounds of it OP did not pay return postage (due to wanting an …From the sounds of it OP did not pay return postage (due to wanting an exchange), they then changed mind about replacement (due to cost) so the "free return postage" was no longer free. Therefore they have taken the cost of the return postage out of the refund which leaves the original item price.So:Item = £10Postage = £3Return Postage = £3Total Cost £16Total Paid £13So customer owes £3Refund = £10

I think Satan_Claws may be spot on.

Seller has refunded original postage (as they must do), but charged for return postage (which they are entitled to do).
Let me get this right.

I buy an item (just say a clock). I pay £10 for the clock and £3 for postage. Total is £13.

When it arrives, it is exactly as described but I do not like it. I decide to return it. I pay £3 to return it.

The seller must refund £16?
Even though it is not seller's fault?
notalwaysright1908/11/2019 21:46

Let me get this right.I buy an item (just say a clock). I pay £10 for the …Let me get this right.I buy an item (just say a clock). I pay £10 for the clock and £3 for postage. Total is £13. When it arrives, it is exactly as described but I do not like it. I decide to return it. I pay £3 to return it. The seller must refund £16? Even though it is not seller's fault?

No, you pay to return it if you've changed your mind. They pay if you're returning it because it's faulty.
notalwaysright1908/11/2019 21:46

Let me get this right.I buy an item (just say a clock). I pay £10 for the …Let me get this right.I buy an item (just say a clock). I pay £10 for the clock and £3 for postage. Total is £13. When it arrives, it is exactly as described but I do not like it. I decide to return it. I pay £3 to return it. The seller must refund £16? Even though it is not seller's fault?

Better example:

You pay £6, made up of 99p for the clock and £5.01 for postage as that is the only method/price offered by the seller.

It is fully functional, exactly as described, but you just don't like it - it costs you £1.50 to return it.

Provided you notify by the 14th day, where day 1 is the day after delivery & return in the condition it arrived in, the seller must refund £6 (original item plus postage to you total).

What I believe they may do, if clearly stated up front, is charge a re-stocking fee. Can anyone confirm?

EDIT: If you paid £12.99 to avail of express shipping option at £12, your refund would still be £6 (item plus cheapest postage option).
Edited by: "jnm21" 9th Nov
The posts above assume that the item was delivered on it's own. If it was part of a larger delivery and you're only only rejecting the one item I believe the rules around delivery cost refunds are different.

jnm2109/11/2019 09:06

What I believe they may do, if clearly stated up front, is charge a …What I believe they may do, if clearly stated up front, is charge a re-stocking fee.

Nope. Section 20, subsection 17:
"The trader must not impose any fee on the consumer in respect of the refund."
EndlessWaves09/11/2019 11:31

The posts above assume that the item was delivered on it's own. If it was …The posts above assume that the item was delivered on it's own. If it was part of a larger delivery and you're only only rejecting the one item I believe the rules around delivery cost refunds are different. Nope. Section 20, subsection 17:"The trader must not impose any fee on the consumer in respect of the refund."

Good point - could technically be cheaper to return all items & re-order what you do want.

Did the rules on restocking fees change in the last 5 to 10 years?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants