Online Security

Found 1st May
Hi I'm thinking of buying Avast internet security. I use Windows 10 and was using defender, but I seem to get advert pop up windows behind my browser which is weird, as I thought defender stopped this?

Avast still allows them through too...
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
I've either got Avast free or AVG free, haven't paid in years, never had a problem.
Which browser are you using? I use Firefox and have no problem, if I use Edge then I get adverts and pop ups. Only have defender too.
Darzen43 m ago

I've either got Avast free or AVG free, haven't paid in years, never had a …I've either got Avast free or AVG free, haven't paid in years, never had a problem.

Avoid AVG unless you want them to sell your data, they have done this in the past and wouldn’t trust them even if they say they won’t.

Avira free is one if the best out there, gets better reports than avast but some write ups say it’s for the experience user but no idea why, easy to use just switch on and go.

tet yourself a good ad blocker they are excellent.
Edited by: "eslick" 1st May
You need to install browser plugins to stop popups. Firefox has a good amount of advert blockers but you will need to whitelist some sites to view them.
deleted1597344
If you have pop ups randomly appearing, you may have spyware/malware on your pc. Install Malwarebytes and let if complete a scan. As for an ad blocker, this will be suffice adblockplus.org

You do not need anything other than Windows Defender, honestly don’t waste your time.
I use Chrome. I have Adblock Plus installed now.

So Defender is just as good as Avast then? What about internet security? I read you should have something like that to protect banking and stuff?
superfreddy5 h, 45 m ago

I use Chrome. I have Adblock Plus installed now.So Defender is just as …I use Chrome. I have Adblock Plus installed now.So Defender is just as good as Avast then? What about internet security? I read you should have something like that to protect banking and stuff?

Then download rapport it’s free and available from most uk banks sites.
deleted1597344
superfreddy7 h, 51 m ago

I use Chrome. I have Adblock Plus installed now.So Defender is just as …I use Chrome. I have Adblock Plus installed now.So Defender is just as good as Avast then? What about internet security? I read you should have something like that to protect banking and stuff?

All you need is Windows Defender, Malwarebytes and some common sense and you will be fine.
As above. Windows defender free as why would you want to use a 3rd party program. Microsoft have a vested interest in keeping their own system safe and antivirus software sits deep in the os system. The security people I listen on podcasts say windows defender is good enough and recommend. It's more important to keep the security updates rolling which some fail to do, and use common sense. I sent an email last week to btintenet account. Gmail flagged that as an unsecured email provider. I was surprised at that
Edited by: "wayners" 2nd May
I have run Avast (free) for years with no problems.
Edited by: "landros1" 2nd May
Probably best with an adblocker rather than different AV. Consider freebie but excellent "ublock origin" for each browser you use, it's a little more flexible than AdblockPlus and automatically provides options to temporarily allow some (useful) referral links, but respect to lovers of other solutions.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants