Online vehicle road tax renewal woes!

Found 4th AugEdited by:"renoman"
Hi all, trying to renew my VED...
receiving this message
"Unfortunately, because of the tax class of the vehicle or recent changes to the vehicle record, you are currently unable to apply for vehicle tax or make a SORN using this service."
I have owned vehicle 3 years or so, NOTHING has changed..!
Car is MOTd, insured, ...
Anyone else had similar issues?
Didn't receive a DVLA reminder letter either!
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
It maybe that you are due an MOT within a month and haven’t done it yet or if you have it hasn’t yet updated itself. I seem to remember they won’t let you tax it if it’s got less than 1 month MOT.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 4th Aug
Thanks cmdr_elito
MOT was due by 7th Aug, so WAS still current, its now been done, and shows as such on the Gov MOT check website
When was tax out? 1st September maybe. You need a valid mot on the date the tax starts not the day you buy. A few get caught. They say my car has a valid mot... Yeah today is has but not when the new tax you bought starts. Maybe that's the problem?
Edited by: "wayners" 4th Aug
cmdr_elito1 h, 40 m ago

It maybe that you are due an MOT within a month and haven’t done it yet or …It maybe that you are due an MOT within a month and haven’t done it yet or if you have it hasn’t yet updated itself. I seem to remember they won’t let you tax it if it’s got less than 1 month MOT.

I’ve just taxed mine with my mot due within two weeks. So seems a bit odd
That's sounds like its more of a V5C issue. Get your registration document and give DVLA a call/webchat and make sure its the latest issued document.
19alexanderson911 h, 33 m ago

I’ve just taxed mine with my mot due within two weeks. So seems a bit odd

Your mot is out in 2 weeks and you bought tax starting 1st September?
Thanks all, yeah, all odd, like I say, owned vehicle a few years, tax expired 31st July, I have V5, all in my name etc, but NO VED reminder through post, its insured, MOTd...
Didn't know DVSA did a web chat service, could not even find an email address to contact them(anyone know their email), trying to get to post office is a farce..
I have screen capture on phone, should I get pulled by the 5-0...
Have pic of MOT cert, and insurance too...
Wonder IF the last chance letter will turn up?
renoman8 m ago

Thanks all, yeah, all odd, like I say, owned vehicle a few years, tax …Thanks all, yeah, all odd, like I say, owned vehicle a few years, tax expired 31st July, I have V5, all in my name etc, but NO VED reminder through post, its insured, MOTd...Didn't know DVSA did a web chat service, could not even find an email address to contact them(anyone know their email), trying to get to post office is a farce..I have screen capture on phone, should I get pulled by the 5-0...Have pic of MOT cert, and insurance too...Wonder IF the last chance letter will turn up?

A screen shot will not stop the police impounding your car. Most police cars have ANPR, pass one and you will get stopped.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 4th Aug
renoman26 m ago

Thanks all, yeah, all odd, like I say, owned vehicle a few years, tax …Thanks all, yeah, all odd, like I say, owned vehicle a few years, tax expired 31st July, I have V5, all in my name etc, but NO VED reminder through post, its insured, MOTd...Didn't know DVSA did a web chat service, could not even find an email address to contact them(anyone know their email), trying to get to post office is a farce..I have screen capture on phone, should I get pulled by the 5-0...Have pic of MOT cert, and insurance too...Wonder IF the last chance letter will turn up?

What happens if you check mot and tax status gov.uk/che…tus
As explained, shows as MOT till 2019, and its shown as untaxed..since end of July
Don't even know IF police care about tax(VED), anyhow, EVEN IF you SEE a police vehicle..
IT IS insured, MOTd, which the police DO care about..
I will try again online on Monday, maybe someone who works at DVLA is reading this, and will give their computer a kick Monday morning.. :-)
BUT, seriously, if anyone has an email address for DVLA, I will mail them.
Thanks again
Edited by: "renoman" 4th Aug
renoman23 m ago

As explained, shows as MOT till 2019, and its shown as untaxed..since end …As explained, shows as MOT till 2019, and its shown as untaxed..since end of JulyDon't even know IF police care about tax(VED), anyhow, EVEN IF you SEE a police vehicle..IT IS insured, MOTd, which the police DO care about..I will try again online on Monday, maybe someone who works at DVLA is reading this, and will give their computer a kick Monday morning.. :-)BUT, seriously, if anyone has an email address for DVLA, I will mail them.Thanks again

I think you find the Plod do care - ANPR will flag the car as not taxed. The car has to be insured, taxed and MOT'd (except if driving to MOT centre) to be on the road.

What fines can an untaxed car incur?

Car-owners face an £80 fine for failing to tax their vehicle, unless it is off the road and has been declared SORN (statutory off-road notification). This can be reduced by half if paid within 28 days, but could increase to a maximum of £1,000 if it goes unpaid and ends up in court. Offenders may also be lumbered with court costs if they are successfully prosecuted. Those caught driving a car without road tax by police face an on-the-spot fine, known as a fixed penalty notice (FPN), of up to £1,000.

Hefty fees are also required to release an untaxed vehicle that is clamped or impounded. If a car is clamped, a valid tax must be paid for within 24 hours or a release fee of £100 will be charged, as well as a "surety deposit" of between £160 and £700 depending on the vehicle. This deposit is then refunded if the tax is purchased within two weeks. The fees are even higher to release an impounded car and prosecution costs and fines may still apply.
Edited by: "Splodger101" 4th Aug
Did you try the questions page but here.
Vehicle tax
cmdr_elito6 h, 56 m ago

It maybe that you are due an MOT within a month and haven’t done it yet or …It maybe that you are due an MOT within a month and haven’t done it yet or if you have it hasn’t yet updated itself. I seem to remember they won’t let you tax it if it’s got less than 1 month MOT.

Thats not correct you can Tax your Car for another Year on the same day or evening that the MOT is about to expire.
Sorry im at work so didn't find earlier. But here's the phone number.

DVLA vehicle tax enquiries
Telephone: 0300 790 6802
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm
Splodger1015 h, 26 m ago

I think you find the Plod do care - ANPR will flag the car as not taxed. …I think you find the Plod do care - ANPR will flag the car as not taxed. The car has to be insured, taxed and MOT'd (except if driving to MOT centre) to be on the road.What fines can an untaxed car incur?Car-owners face an £80 fine for failing to tax their vehicle, unless it is off the road and has been declared SORN (statutory off-road notification). This can be reduced by half if paid within 28 days, but could increase to a maximum of £1,000 if it goes unpaid and ends up in court. Offenders may also be lumbered with court costs if they are successfully prosecuted. Those caught driving a car without road tax by police face an on-the-spot fine, known as a fixed penalty notice (FPN), of up to £1,000. Hefty fees are also required to release an untaxed vehicle that is clamped or impounded. If a car is clamped, a valid tax must be paid for within 24 hours or a release fee of £100 will be charged, as well as a "surety deposit" of between £160 and £700 depending on the vehicle. This deposit is then refunded if the tax is purchased within two weeks. The fees are even higher to release an impounded car and prosecution costs and fines may still apply.

Additionally many insurance companies now have terms that state you must have valid tax. That means if you drive without it you’ll be prosecuted for driving with no insurance too.
Who told you that, theres no way an Insurance Co can invalidate your Insurance because you have no Road Tax, some of them try it on with a Valid MOT but would still struggle in a Court of Law to withdraw Insurance without a valid reason.
Merely a final update..
Phoned DVLA (thanks MonkeysUncle)
..appears some sort of clerical error, they are sending me out a NEW V5C...!
-strangely, I was able to pay VED in post office.
-although, a day and a half later the status has NOT been updated (DVLA website does say it 'can' take up to 5 working days..) so I am carrying my post office receipt.
Thanks, some really helpful folk on here..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions