Open learning courses, anyone done one??

Found 17th May 2007
hi all,

im looking into some courses to gain some knowledge/qualifications to enable me to get back to work, ive been researching open learning courses as i can work at my own pace and around the kids, but there are so many out there im not sure where to start, so does anyone have any recommendations, im interested in tips on the following

value for money

quality of materials

support included, quality of support

a couple of sites i have found are

ICS

UK-OPEN-LEARNING

UKOPENCOLLEGE

anyone had any experience of these? or know anymore? or even better, know any discounts????lol

thank you :thumbsup: :-D

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
51 Comments

[SIZE=2]You may be eligible to study with the ]OU for free: -[/SIZE]

Getting financial support to help pay your fees and study costs

If you live in the UK and you are:[LIST][*]on a household income below … If you live in the UK and you are:[LIST][*]on a household income below £25,645 (£15,345 if you are resident in Scotland) - at 2006/2007 rates - more if you have a dependent partner or children, or[*]unemployed, or[*]receiving any of the following benefits: Income Support, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, income-based Job Seeker's Allowance or New Deal Allowance[/LIST]We may pay all or part of your course fees for you and meet other study costs like helping you buy a computer, access the internet or pay for childcare. You can request (or download) further details of all financial support and the relevant application forms when you register, or contact us on +44 (0) 1908 653411 or email [EMAIL="general-enquiries@open.ac.uk"][COLOR=#0000ff]general-enquiries@open.ac.uk[/COLOR][/EMAIL]. (You can also visit us at the website below - try the ready reckoner to find out what you may be entitled to).

I've done three ]OU courses and they've all been really good. Going to start my 4th and 5th ones in October...

Original Poster

thank you greg, i'll take a look

Original Poster

ive had a good look, it does look interesting Greg

ive emailed for more info
thank you!

Banned

What you thinking of doing?

[SIZE=2]I have to say I wasn't happy with my OU courses. Materials were old (audio and video tapes, most facts were 10+ years old in environmentalism course) and support was very limited. the 'online' course I had had many problems with keeping track of what I had done and was yet to do.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]But then maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe I was the problem. Other people have been very happy with the OU (which is why I went to them in the first place) but I was just totally turned off by the experience.[/SIZE]

I have just started 2 ICS Courses (both BTEC) - they have just emailed me a £50 off voucher that I can give you, and you also get a decent quidco cash back as well!

All learning materials and packs that I have received have been great.

Would defo recommend.

PM me if you want the voucher / any more advice.

Original Poster

NatD

I have just started 2 ICS Courses (both BTEC) - they have just emailed me … I have just started 2 ICS Courses (both BTEC) - they have just emailed me a £50 off voucher that I can give you, and you also get a decent quidco cash back as well!All learning materials and packs that I have received have been great.Would defo recommend.PM me if you want the voucher / any more advice.

thanks i think ive been mailed the same code, 10% quidco too so i'll look at that too!

not sure what i want to do jdeal, i have no qualifications what so ever so anything will be an improvement, i think i will start with the basics and hopefully work up :oops:

I have to say I wasn't happy with my OU courses. Materials were old … I have to say I wasn't happy with my OU courses. Materials were old (audio and video tapes, most facts were 10+ years old in environmentalism course)

I studied T175 networked living which was only written 2 years ago, M150 which is a bit older but still covers technology which is still in development now and MU120 which is a Maths course (some of the maths you cover is 1000s of years old :thumbsup: ) so all in all never had a problem with old materials.

support was very limited

I guess you didn't bother with the lectures or you were unlucky with your tutor?

the 'online' course I had had many problems with keeping track of what I … the 'online' course I had had many problems with keeping track of what I had done and was yet to do.

All three of the courses I did included a study calendar which shows you exactly where you should be with the course week by week and includes the deadlines for the whole course.

I dont need this but im looking for my girlfriend. Just wondering if someone could give me a cheap telephone number to call to enquire about courses regarding Midwifery? I know its random but i couldnt seem to find a normal rate number from the OU or anywhere else.

Please any help appreciated

I'm sure you can't train to be a midwife through distance learning like the OU. Training to become a nurse takes 3 years and involves a lot of on the job training

There's lots of useful information ]here

How do I become a midwife?If you know from the outset that you want to be … How do I become a midwife?If you know from the outset that you want to be a midwife you can take a direct entry diploma or degree programme lasting three or four years. Details of where to take these courses can be found through the appropriate link on the right of this page.Alternatively, you can qualify as a registered nurse (RN) then undertake a 78-week programme into midwifery. For details of how to train to become a nurse, click ][COLOR=#0000ff]here[/COLOR]. For details of the 78-week programme for qualified nurses, please contact your local university, telephone the NHS Learning and Development Service (08000 150 850) or visit the RD Learning website (][COLOR=#0000ff]www.rdlearning.org.uk[/COLOR]).

Original Poster

thank you all, i have been in contact with ou today and it looks like i may get some help there

i have also just signed up with a ICS course to be getting on with, good discount and quidco there too, worth a look imo

rep left for those who helped, ta!!

Original Poster

vinylandtrinkets

i would never recommend ICS Learn direct , they have got to be the … i would never recommend ICS Learn direct , they have got to be the biggest rip off merchant online.the course work they sent my husband was at least 6 years out of date,no support, when he emailed for assistance they email back the writter of the course email address and beleive me she was not happy.the exams where about to end ( within 4 weeks of getting a 10 month course)it has taken me 7 months to get the new up todate course work,they has no customer service, no support for any off the I.T course they are selling. total waste of money.

oh great, ive just signed up...im worried now lol

Don't worry - what course have you signed up??

I am doing Construction and Electrical Installation and everything is up to date. TBH, you could probably just google any queries you have and get more sense than some person in a Call Centre. Also, my courses are both BTEC so are up to date!

Greg

I'm sure you can't train to be a midwife through distance learning like … I'm sure you can't train to be a midwife through distance learning like the OU. Training to become a nurse takes 3 years and involves a lot of on the job trainingThere's lots of useful information ]here

Thanks for the help Greg. It doesnt seem to provide any numbers or institutions of where to actually do the degree though lol. It just says its 3-4 years and when you click on one of them it has like a sentence or two on it about the actual diploma

robovski

[SIZE=2]I have to say I wasn't happy with my OU courses. Materials were … [SIZE=2]I have to say I wasn't happy with my OU courses. Materials were old (audio and video tapes, most facts were 10+ years old in environmentalism course) and support was very limited. the 'online' course I had had many problems with keeping track of what I had done and was yet to do.[/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE] [SIZE=2]But then maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe I was the problem. Other people have been very happy with the OU (which is why I went to them in the first place) but I was just totally turned off by the experience.[/SIZE]

I would have thought environmentalists would welcome recycled stuff ;-)

Just make sure what you're doing actually means something in the career you want... some aren't really worth much compared to degrees etc.

Original Poster

im looking to gain something to put on a cv, i dont expect to start a great career this late on but just a half decent job

Original Poster

has anyone used the NEC?

Original Poster

a big thank you to Greg, i received confirmation this morning from the ou, im enroled for 2 courses starting in september, then another for november, thank you your a star!

loupomm

a big thank you to Greg, i received confirmation this morning from the … a big thank you to Greg, i received confirmation this morning from the ou, im enroled for 2 courses starting in september, then another for november, thank you your a star!

Excellent. What courses are you doing?

I finished ]M150 (IT) last week and I'm finishing ]MU120 (maths) this week.

I never want to study maths again. :thumbsup:

I'm going to do ]Object Oriented programming with Java next to build on the JavaScript I did in M150

how much did/does it cost you, because i'm wanting to improve myself, on low income at the moment

Original Poster

fwibble

how much did/does it cost you, because i'm wanting to improve myself, on … how much did/does it cost you, because i'm wanting to improve myself, on low income at the moment

take a look they vary in price from £99 i believe, they also offer financial help too for various income bands, or offer payments via instalments :-D

fwibble

how much did/does it cost you, because i'm wanting to improve myself, on … how much did/does it cost you, because i'm wanting to improve myself, on low income at the moment

What are you doing at the moment fwibble? Might be worth speaking to your supervisor/line manager to see if they could help with costs...

Have a look at my second post in this thread for information on financial support.

currently just working in retail, was a supervisor until the store i was working for got taken over, and the people I work for now are sh!ts so i stepped down... apparantly i am entitled but i have to fill out a form which i can't find, i've done the ready reckoner and it links you back to the home page

Financial SupportFor students resident in England or Northern … Financial SupportFor students resident in England or Northern Ireland.From the information you have provided it appears that you could be eligible for the maximum award which would be:Your fees paid up to a value of £765 for courses totalling 30 points or more but less than 90 credit pointsA course grant of £250 to help with study expenses.If you intend to study a course where the fees are higher than £750, for example Business or Law, we will top up the government fee grant. This top up will cover the whole fee if you get a full award or a proportion of the fee if you get a partial award. You will only receive this additional support for one such high fee course per year.Once you have chosen your course(s) you will need to make a formal application for financial support and meet a number of eligibility conditions before your award can be finalised. The application form and guidance notes can be downloaded from the ]on-line registration facility within the courses and qualifications web site. You may also be interested in our register now, pay later facility to help with the payment of course fees. Note: These figures are based upon rates for the academic year beginning 1st September 2007. If you intend to study sooner the award payable may be less. This information was provided on 02/06/2007.

Original Poster

the financial help form comes with the registration form when they send them

ah right been looking for ages lol

i'd give a deff miss on OU ....i did a pyschology course with them and then followed on to do a child pyschology course ..reasearching via friends etc i would of deff gone elsewhere

hiphop_dont_stop

i'd give a deff miss on OU ....i did a pyschology course with them and … i'd give a deff miss on OU ....i did a pyschology course with them and then followed on to do a child pyschology course ..reasearching via friends etc i would of deff gone elsewhere

Thanks for your well structured and justified post :?

Care to explain why you wouldn't recommend the OU?

I was wondering that too.

how do you register for more than one course, do you have to register each one seperately, the 2link my course to" has thrown me slightly

Original Poster

again i done mine by post so just filled all of them out on one form

Greg

Thanks for your well structured and justified post :? Care to explain why … Thanks for your well structured and justified post :? Care to explain why you wouldn't recommend the OU?

didnt say it was constructive,i gave an opinion that had i known of other options i would of gone elsewhere,my funding being on benefits wasnt fully granted so i therefore paid a large percent of it myself, having a family member as a qualified child psychologist i found that the work was outdated and not upto knowledge and the support system for help with any queries was crap :x

Original Poster

from reading the magazine i got with my registration details i see i can apply for a NUS card, is it worth the £10 year anyone know?

Rather than start a new thread, I found this one, So was wondering..........

Whats the best one to go for, If i do some IT courses?

Need to expand the CV also, Its looking pretty empty, Anything is better than nothing!

Hate to bump but can anyone recommend an IT course?, Maybe you've been there done that?, Cheers.

Re: Open University and speaking from experience, I would bear in mind that if you are doing Maths at Level 3 and live in the North East there is no lectures/tutorials AT ALL and very few of the Level 2 courses have them.

Not only that, my tutor was in Italy and only contactable by email, which for a Maths course can be quite difficult, even though he was english speaking.

Can't speak for any other OU courses though, but good luck OP in finding a suitable course for yourself, hope it works out :-D

While the thread is here...

I'm looking for a course on digital photography, I have a good grasp of the basics and looking for something to bring my expertise up a level or so. I've found very few courses at all, there just seems to be one on the open university site and it seems far too basic. Then completely on the other side I've found expensive courses with the expectation you are going to be shooting professionally.

Any thoughts?

With regards to IT courses, I have to admit I've never come across anything that useful - with IT it's primarily experience, experience, experience which of course is difficult to get started with. Also, certifications are expensive and not always that useful either.

John

loupomm

from reading the magazine i got with my registration details i see i can … from reading the magazine i got with my registration details i see i can apply for a NUS card, is it worth the £10 year anyone know?

God yes get an NUSextra card. 5% amazon alone is worth it, plus all of the other benefits. Best money ever spent.

Original Poster

seancampbell

God yes get an NUSextra card. 5% amazon alone is worth it, plus all of … God yes get an NUSextra card. 5% amazon alone is worth it, plus all of the other benefits. Best money ever spent.

thanks Sean, will get it applied for :-D
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Magazine competitions - Issue 46 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1313
    2. Enter to win an iPhone X Anker competition33
    3. Win £500 worth of goods from RAF Museum's shop66
    4. Win Dartington Crystal Glasses from Waitrose1317

See more discussions