Groups

Opening a smoothie/juice bar...is it a good time?

im thinking of opening a smoothie/juice bar to be ready by this summer. actualy i had this idea last year but didn't go ahead with it due to the economic climate...but now since things are looking up im thinking doing it this year...but im still not so sure if its the right time...what do people think???

38 Comments

what location?

Original Poster

whosthere?;7440389

what location?

in a supermarket a very buzy supermarket

mobs?

Original Poster

ilovepink;7440419

mobs?

huh??

A famous man once said.... "If you make good smoothies. They will come."

Forest_Gump;7440428

huh??

i take it yor anot a hollyoaks fan

what city?

no its not.

Forest_Gump;7440398

in a supermarket a very buzy supermarket

Supermarket, won't happen, best off trying a shopping center.

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD;7440456

Supermarket, won't happen, best off trying a shopping center.

shopping centres are xtremly xpensive...50k a year thats jus the rent

Original Poster

ilovepink;7440447

i take it yor anot a hollyoaks fan

not really mate

Original Poster

whosthere?;7440449

what city?

Bradford and its a branch of Morrisons...they take 1.4 million a week in sales so its a buzy one

Banned

as gav said ide be surprised if its a good idea to open within a supermarket, smoothies are sold on the shelves already chilled, probably cheaper than you could sell at

do you plan on doing any finger food/desserts along with the smoothies?

black gerbil1;7440451

no its not.

Banned

we have about 3 in shrewsbury town centre and never seen any of them busy

sassie;7440493

as gav said ide be surprised if its a good idea to open within a … as gav said ide be surprised if its a good idea to open within a supermarket, smoothies are sold on the shelves already chilled, probably cheaper than you could sell at

Well yes good point. But the point I was making is the big supermarkets wont take on small independents, they would only look at multinationals or major franchises.:thumbsup:

Forest_Gump;7440486

Bradford and its a branch of Morrisons...they take 1.4 million a week in … Bradford and its a branch of Morrisons...they take 1.4 million a week in sales so its a buzy one

research says juices/smoothies are impulse purchases.
    Youd be better off away from a supermarket and on a high street or in a shopping mall.
    Somewhere with good footfall.
    Maybe even near a college

Original Poster

whosthere?;7440504

do you plan on doing any finger food/desserts along with the smoothies?

yep i know a pure smoothie bar would struggle...i had an idea of hot food during lunch time..soups/bauggets/paninnis etc...

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD;7440538

Well yes good point. But the point I was making is the big supermarkets … Well yes good point. But the point I was making is the big supermarkets wont take on small independents, they would only look at multinationals or major franchises.:thumbsup:

ive already spoken with morrisons( i actualy work for them) and it wouldnt have been an issue

Banned

Forest_Gump;7440551

yep i know a pure smoothie bar would struggle...i had an idea of hot food … yep i know a pure smoothie bar would struggle...i had an idea of hot food during lunch time..soups/bauggets/paninnis etc...

how big is the morrisions, i dont know of any that dont have food halls? Have you actually contacted them to enquire about renting some space for a food hall? im assuming you had

Original Poster

sassie;7440570

how big is the morrisions, i dont know of any that dont have food halls? … how big is the morrisions, i dont know of any that dont have food halls? Have you actually contacted them to enquire about renting some space for a food hall? im assuming you had

i work in the morrisons where i'd have this business and at lunch time we get really buzy...and im sure i can do better food then morrisons

wouldnt think a supermarket would be a good place to set it up, people going in dont want to be carrying a smoothie around while they shop and people going out will be carrying or pushing trollies full of shopping.
    theres a smoothie bar setup in one of our shopping centres, it was popular for the first 2-3 months but now theres not so many people buying any.

Nah, you probably won't get too many people wanting a smoothie at 23:10.

Original Poster

Retro89;7440597

wouldnt think a supermarket would be a good place to set it up, people … wouldnt think a supermarket would be a good place to set it up, people going in dont want to be carrying a smoothie around while they shop and people going out will be carrying or pushing trollies full of shopping.theres a smoothie bar setup in one of our shopping centres, it was popular for the first 2-3 months but now theres not so many people buying any.

good point...

Banned

Forest_Gump;7440585

i work in the morrisons where i'd have this business and at lunch time we … i work in the morrisons where i'd have this business and at lunch time we get really buzy...and im sure i can do better food then morrisons

so they have a food hall already, and happy for you to open a smoothie bar? well as said smoothies can be purchased cheaper than you can probably make, as can sandwiches, rolls, etc,etc a big franchise like that is gonna be able to provide goods cheaper than you are, so i think your on to a losing hand

op has shown 0 business acumen in this thread, has no idea what hes doing, my guess is even if it was the right time to open one, he would fail, badly.

Original Poster

sassie;7440613

so they have a food hall already, and happy for you to open a smoothie … so they have a food hall already, and happy for you to open a smoothie bar? well as said smoothies can be purchased cheaper than you can probably make, as can sandwiches, rolls, etc,etc a big franchise like that is gonna be able to provide goods cheaper than you are, so i think your on to a losing hand

i think u might be right...:cry:

Forest_Gump;7440564

ive already spoken with morrisons( i actualy work for them) and it … ive already spoken with morrisons( i actualy work for them) and it wouldnt have been an issue

Well if your foots in the door, but normally (well Tesco, Sainsburys Co-op/Somerfield) independents are a no go.

How about a mobile unit. Maybe bus/train station 7-9am, offices over lunch, school kicking out and back to the station 5-7pm. Parks/events at the weekends/holidays.

black gerbil1;7440624

op has shown 0 business acumen in this thread, has no idea what hes … op has shown 0 business acumen in this thread, has no idea what hes doing, my guess is even if it was the right time to open one, he would fail, badly.

For once, I actually agree with you.

Banned

A good mate of mine had a smoothie bar which he'd set up in a department store in Melbourne. (Grace Bros - but nothing to do with are you being served.)

Anyway, he was selling the business for almost $3M - until someone tested his wares and found the sugar content was more than it is in Coke! He still sold up, but the price crashed down to just over $1M

how about one of these burger type van things, theres one in my local BnQ carpark and they do very well, all the staff use it and alot of customers, you could sell your smoothies there and snacks and see how you get on with that then and if it does well maybe open a little shop, theres a smootie bar in the millgate shopping centre bury what do all kinds of smoothes and they smell so very nice and you see them being made infront of you. i think that does well.

pink-ka;7440919

how about one of these burger type van things

+1 This.

As you will be mobile you can look at the tourist spots during the summer near beaches and such. By looking into council sites as to where Ice Cream vans are aloud to park and sell you could do this with smoothies. Hitting a bigger crowd as you can change location's if needed.
    You will also have the trailer to sell on if things go wrong, only thing is you will need the revenue to actually buy the stuff needed to start, but this is same if you were to open shop

Forest_Gump;7440486

Bradford and its a branch of Morrisons...they take 1.4 million a week in … Bradford and its a branch of Morrisons...they take 1.4 million a week in sales so its a buzy one

Forest_Gump;7440585

i work in the morrisons where i'd have this business and at lunch time we … i work in the morrisons where i'd have this business and at lunch time we get really buzy...and im sure i can do better food then morrisons

It's spelled [SIZE="5"]BUSY[/SIZE]. Jeez.

But no, I don't think it's a good idea. A cart is better, but still not great.

A mate of mine has run 2 smoothie/juice bars and also a smoothie trailer which he uses to take along to festivals, outdoor events etc.

The first smoothie bar he opened was in a local high street and did quite well, mainly passing trade, lunchtime, office workers etc.

The second one he opened was next to a wetherspoons type pub and close to several other pubs/clubs etc. This one boomed in business and still does very well. He says 70% of his turnover is after the pubs/clubs shut as for some reason, people want a smoothy when they're drunk. He also sells baguettes, packed salds etc which also do well. This shop is also close to a few kebab and pizza places yet still does very well.

As for his trailer - as far as I know he goes to the odd festival, university event, etc but he doesn't make a huge amount of money from them.After fuel, rent, staff etc it's just an 'add-on' to his overall business that makes a limited profit. I remember him saying he couldn't make a living out of the trailer alone. It's a large trailer as well selling smoothys, juices, snacks, ice creams etc.

To be honest, from what he was saying, he spent as much if not more time researching his buying practices (ie fruit/veg prices/suppliers etc) than he did on the location of his shops. There's also the usual health/hygiene regs to look into.

Good luck.

col.

I used to work in a supermarket concession, Sketchleys/Supasnaps located in Sainsburys. Perfect business model. Drop off your dry cleaning, pick it up with the shopping next week. Drop off your photos on the way in, pick them up on the way out. Get your keys cut whilst you wait.

It bombed - as you can tell as the majority shut down.

I know which morrisons you mean in Bradford , isnt it a bit scratty ? Do you not think they wud prefer a pie stall or a £1 shop ? Are they the right demographic ?

DragonChris;7441187

It's spelled [SIZE="5"]BUSY[/SIZE]. Jeez.But no, I don't think it's a … It's spelled [SIZE="5"]BUSY[/SIZE]. Jeez.But no, I don't think it's a good idea. A cart is better, but still not great.

Hey go easy, cant you see he is a hardworking buzinessman :whistling:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4562130
      2. Sky Fibre Max11
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764687
      4. Samsung Note 8914

See more discussions