Groups

Operating system reinstallation help please

Right I have just re-installed windows vista home premium using the cd -operating system.
    That has loaded, and my laptop looks on safe mode.
    Now I have 4 more cds which are:
    Microsoft Works 9
    Drivers & Utilities
    Reinstalling Dell MediaDirect
    Reinstalling Dell Webcam

Any help on what order to do this is, as I'm bit worried on what I've done!
    Thanks for your time

28 Comments

personnally Drivers & utilities

Original Poster

2scoops2;6585382

personnally Drivers & utilities

I have tried that, and the CD is in, however nothing has loaded or such, it just tells me about it :thinking:

Just the drivers one, although even that you might not need with Vista if it finds them all when it install the operating system.

Original Poster

Babbabooey;6585396

Just the drivers one, although even that you might not need with Vista if … Just the drivers one, although even that you might not need with Vista if it finds them all when it install the operating system.

Well right now it's on safemode, and nothing working, and I don't know how to fix it, all I have done is re-install Vista

Why is it in safe mode? reboot it into normal mode.

Drivers and Utilities first.
    Then if you use the other stuff install it. But if you dont use it theres no point.

Original Poster

Babbabooey;6585439

Why is it in safe mode? reboot it into normal mode.

It went into that on its own. . .

right-click on you "my computer" icon
    go to "manage"
    click on "Device Manager"
    in the right-hand side of the window if there is anything with a "yellow triangle/exclamation" mark" beside it
    right-click on it & re-install, when prompted chose the CD-drive with the disc in it

2scoops2

Original Poster

2scoops2;6585483

right-click on you "my computer" icon go to "manage"click on "Device … right-click on you "my computer" icon go to "manage"click on "Device Manager"in the right-hand side of the window if there is anything with a "yellow triangle/exclamation" mark" beside it right-click on it & re-install, when prompted chose the CD-drive with the disc in it2scoops2

Re-install isn't there, pretty much everything has a yellow exclamation, however, I can only choose disable or un-install

you will need to install the correct driver for each item with a yellow excalmation basically your audio/video/usb etc ect

is there a "properties" option? if so look under there for something like re-insatll, upgrade

Also there may be a auto-run on the cd...

reboot it then try again

Defo Drivers

Ignore the others unless you are actually going to use them

Original Poster

Well nothing says to re-install no matter what I do, to it :'-(

What happens when you put the driver cd in then? does it open so you can browse the contents, or does it bring up a program or what?

If you can browse the contents, what are the subfolders labelled (hopefully something useful like Audio, LAN etc).

Original Poster

Babbabooey;6585688

What happens when you put the driver cd in then? does it open so you can … What happens when you put the driver cd in then? does it open so you can browse the contents, or does it bring up a program or what?If you can browse the contents, what are the subfolders labelled (hopefully something useful like Audio, LAN etc).

It opens, to a blue screen, and then wont let me install, apparantly I have to install stuff in a certain order or they won't work!
    Nothing has install written next to it, and makes me do it manually

does this mysterious blue screen contain links to all the different drivers?

Ie, can you click on one that says audio, or one that says chipset, etc?

Original Poster

Babbabooey;6585729

does this mysterious blue screen contain links to all the different … does this mysterious blue screen contain links to all the different drivers?Ie, can you click on one that says audio, or one that says chipset, etc?

Yes I can, and it says extract on them.

Thanks

ahhaaa

extract the folders according to what you need to re-install (the ones with yellow beside them)
    Note where you are extracting them to. Once extracted double-click the folder, you should now have a executable file (*.exe) double click it & install the driver

Original Poster

2scoops2;6585783

ahhaaa

take it this going somewhere?

*katie*;6585773

Yes I can, and it says extract on them.Thanks

Good stuff, so you're all sorted now?

*katie*;6585800

take it this going somewhere?

sorry yeah! see edit

did you not use dell restore feature in safe mode, i just reinstalled factory setting on a dell1510 laptop in about 30 minutes, restored to the day i bought it.

Original Poster

steve187;6585836

did you not use dell restore feature in safe mode, i just reinstalled … did you not use dell restore feature in safe mode, i just reinstalled factory setting on a dell1510 laptop in about 30 minutes, restored to the day i bought it.

Didnt work at all, I pressed to go onto repair, and it kept restarting normally, gave up after about 50t trys, so done this!

Wish I hadn't though.

How will I know where to extract them all to?

*katie*;6585856
    Didnt work at all, I pressed to go onto repair, and it kept restarting normally, gave up after about 50t trys, so done this!

Wish I hadn't though.

How will I know where to extract them all to?

Just extract to wherever it defaults to, probably C:\.
    then navigate to said folder and double click the exe.

chose somewhere like

C:\drivers - you will need to create the "drivers" folder, then within the folder you can create sub folders eg
    Audio
    LAN
    Video

A place for everything & everything in its place

2scoops2

Original Poster

Babbabooey;6585870
    Just extract to wherever it defaults to, probably C:\.
    then navigate to said folder and double click the exe.

Okay Il try it, thank you, after that, do I just do the other cds? and do you will they will automatically load up, I dont understand why my laptop looks in safe mode, whenever it loads, the screen all zoomed in and that :thinking:

it looks like its in "safe mode" becasue it has loaded the deafult drivers for your video card. You need to install the correct video driver (on the cd)
    I would proabably install the vdieo driver first then you can see everything normally.

note - its doesn't say safe mode in the 4 corners of your screen does it??

2scoops2

Original Poster

2scoops2;6585917

it looks like its in "safe mode" becasue it has loaded the deafult … it looks like its in "safe mode" becasue it has loaded the deafult drivers for your video card. You need to install the correct video driver (on the cd)I would proabably install the vdieo driver first then you can see everything normally.note - its doesn't say safe mode in the 4 corners of your screen does it??2scoops2

No it doesn't say safemode, according to dells site, `I shouldn't install video first, don't see how this makes much difference though

how'd you get on??
    it all went very quiet....
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp12
      2. What is there free to do in your town?37
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …279966
      4. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1635

See more discussions