Groups

Opinions On PC Build Spec

Hi guys after looking around for a new PC base and finding a lack of bargains i've decided to go down the DIY route, I was hoping you could have a look at my spec and offer any opinions.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh69/wooderson82/pc.jpg

Cheers

18 Comments

Original Poster

Sorry clickable now

]http//i2…jpg

Banned

why dont you pay a little more and go for a q6600 processor.. plus you might want to get ram with a faster speed? 1066? they are pretty cheap

Banned

oh and you forgot graphics card.. unless mobo has one built in... what do you want to use the PC for?

Original Poster

Alright mate, I posted wrong spec at first, i've updated it to include GFX.Thanks for looking.

Banned

Wooderson;4513383

Alright mate, I posted wrong spec at first, i've updated it to include … Alright mate, I posted wrong spec at first, i've updated it to include GFX.Thanks for looking.

honestly go for a better processor and ram... dunno much about graphics cards anymore... (I have 320mb 8800GTS)

what do you want to do with it?

also try scan.co.uk and overclockers for the same components... may work out cheaper

Original Poster

Thanks, i'm not much of a PC gamer, mainly Football Manager and emulators.Also do a bit of music recording, otherwise it's just the usual browsing etc.

Looks like a good value for money build, high frequency ram PC8500 would be cheap too. Processor could be overclocked to 4gHz all in all looks very good. One question do you need OS or are you going with linux

Original Poster

Cheers, I got given an unopened copy of XP which should do, i'd considered going with Windows 7 Beta but was told it wasn't really suitable as a main OS yet.

Wooderson;4513510

Thanks, i'm not much of a PC gamer, mainly Football Manager and … Thanks, i'm not much of a PC gamer, mainly Football Manager and emulators.Also do a bit of music recording, otherwise it's just the usual browsing etc.

So why do you need 4Gb of memory ?

I know memory is cheap but it is 2Gb more (or even 3Gb more) than you actually need.

I could be argued that the whole PC is over speced for what you actualy want to do with it.

Banned

however it will keep him not having to update his pc for a few years.

Original Poster

rogerdodger;4514706

however it will keep him not having to update his pc for a few years.

That's what I was thinking when putting it together, plus I may end up requiring more power in the future so it seemed best to invest in better components to begin with.

Banned

Wooderson;4514879

That's what I was thinking when putting it together, plus I may end up … That's what I was thinking when putting it together, plus I may end up requiring more power in the future so it seemed best to invest in better components to begin with.

Yeah dude, sounds a good idea.
    Ive got a few parts for sale if your interested:
    Got a 324mb 8800GTS, Q6600 and power leads, keyboards mice etc the usual.
    The 8800 would obviously be a better graphics card than quoted, was just another option for you.
    Cheers

The spec looks pretty good.

The step up to the q6600 is worth the money...

If you was to opt for the q6600 i would make sure you go for the Q6600 G0 SLACR this is the edition which is great at overclocking.

not sure about the graphics, i know custom pc recommends the 9600 gso models either the 324mb version and 512mb

Maplin are selling the 324mb version for 69.99 with a 10 pound discount though paypal.

Original Poster

I've been doing alot of reading but GFX seems hardest to decide on.

RE Roger, what are you asking for the Q6600 and is it the G0 SLACR edition?

Banned

Wooderson;4515159

I've been doing alot of reading but GFX seems hardest to decide on.RE … I've been doing alot of reading but GFX seems hardest to decide on.RE Roger, what are you asking for the Q6600 and is it the G0 SLACR edition?

It isnt the g0 Slacr edition i think its the b3 version.

[IMG]i194.photobucket.com/alb…jpg?t=1235843554[/IMG]

Add more RAM if you wish. It's a good motherboard despite the price; take a look at the reviews. Could also get a good cooler if you plan to overclock.

Then add something like this from novatech:- novatech.co.uk/nov…GT5

Comes to about £425 delivered ish.

Banned

Wooderson;4515159

I've been doing alot of reading but GFX seems hardest to decide on.RE … I've been doing alot of reading but GFX seems hardest to decide on.RE Roger, what are you asking for the Q6600 and is it the G0 SLACR edition?

graphics matter mostly with gamers so i wouldnt worry too much about this.

i use [url]www.tomshardware.co.uk[/url] (click the CHARTS tab choose graphics card) for my research i normal use 3dmark06 as a benchmark to compare as each cards performance varies in each game.

I decide on a budget look to see what i can get and then compare.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!563837
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047197
      3. Fakespot.com Amazon fake review detector.33
      4. Jaffa quake as McVitie's cuts pack sizes - BBC News44

See more discussions