Opinions on this laptop deal please!

Posted 10th Dec 2019
Looking for a laptop for my 15 year old daughter for school work but nothing too intensive photowise and she’s not into gaming. So main criteria from her is very lightweight and portable so she can take to and from school.

I’ll stick an SSD in a caddy for file-storage and she has cloud space too so 256gb SSD should be fine. Can’t find anything with 16GB of RAM and I’d prefer i7 rather than i5 unless it’s a guff i7 and the i5 model is actually a better buy.

Budget is £600-800 and ideally around 1.2kg.

ASUS ZenBook UX333 Full HD 13.3 Inch Laptop (Intel i7-8565U Processor, 512 GB PCI-e SSD, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Includes Carry Sleeve & Dongle) amazon.co.uk/dp/…Q41
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

24 Comments
Does she really need high end laptop?

A used thinkpad x260 with 6th gen i7, 16GB RAM is about £350...
From your description of her use and needs your wasting a lot of money.
You can get a ryzen 5 3500u laptop with ips screen 8gb ram and 256gb NVMe ssd for around £400 which would be plenty of power for her needs, ive even gamed at low settings on one with the built-in vega 8 graphics on the ryzen cpu.
You can upgrade to 16gb ram for under £50 although she doesn't need more than 8gb really and theres a spare ssd slot, you could add another 500gb ssd for around £50.
So all in a cracking light weight laptop, 750gb of ssd, 16gb ram for £500
EDIT
The Ryzen 5 laptops i looked at dont seem to be £400 any more, the sale must of ended, however this is a cracking price with bigger ssd and more powerful ryzen 7 cpu, only £449 after using £30 off code
39315212.jpg
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 10th Dec 2019
Cisco06060610/12/2019 16:31

Does she really need high end laptop?A used thinkpad x260 with 6th gen i7, …Does she really need high end laptop?A used thinkpad x260 with 6th gen i7, 16GB RAM is about £350...

Thanks but I don’t want to buy used or refurbed.
Mark_Hickman10/12/2019 17:05

From your description of her use and needs your wasting a lot of money.You …From your description of her use and needs your wasting a lot of money.You can get a ryzen 5 3500u laptop with ips screen 8gb ram and 256gb NVMe ssd for around £400 which would be plenty of power for her needs, ive even gamed at low settings on one with the built-in vega 8 graphics on the ryzen cpu.You can upgrade to 16gb ram for under £50 although she doesn't need more than 8gb really and theres a spare ssd slot, you could add another 500gb ssd for around £50.So all in a cracking light weight laptop, 750gb of ssd, 16gb ram for £500EDITThe Ryzen 5 laptops i looked at dont seem to be £400 any more, the sale must of ended, however this is a cracking price with bigger ssd and more powerful ryzen 7 cpu, only £449 after using £30 off code[Image]

Thanks for all the comments - I’m not against getting a Ryzen 5 3500u (I’ve always built desktops with intel so not so well versed with the equiv pros and cons of the different Ryzen processors).

Main issue is that the Lenovo Ideapad is 1.7kg so half a kilo heavier. She’ll be taking it back and forth between her dads and my place so I’m looking for something really lightweight. You are right - cracking specs on that though for the price. I’ll have a look to see if any of the lightweight laptops have Ryzen 5 options.
I think you need Surface 2 laptop for in about 800 you have in mind.
Palwan10/12/2019 18:06

I think you need Surface 2 laptop for in about 800 you have in mind.

Surface 2 laptop was the other model I was looking at - so which is better value - the ASUS above or this:

costco.co.uk/Com…364
Edited by: "bluep" 10th Dec 2019
bluep10/12/2019 17:38

Thanks for all the comments - I’m not against getting a Ryzen 5 3500u ( …Thanks for all the comments - I’m not against getting a Ryzen 5 3500u (I’ve always built desktops with intel so not so well versed with the equiv pros and cons of the different Ryzen processors). Main issue is that the Lenovo Ideapad is 1.7kg so half a kilo heavier. She’ll be taking it back and forth between her dads and my place so I’m looking for something really lightweight. You are right - cracking specs on that though for the price. I’ll have a look to see if any of the lightweight laptops have Ryzen 5 options.

I had the acer aspire 5 ryzen 5 3500u model which was 1.8kg and i thought it was pretty light but i suppose if your carrying it often, a younger or smaller person might notice the difference.
I wouldn't go for a ryzen 5 until they're on sale again, normal very often.
They're mostly around £549 at the moment, they were £400 recently
The ASUS is i7 and 512gb SSD but the surface are better quality screens etc no? And Costco are brilliant re customer service.

Thanks for all the comments - I’m not against getting a Ryzen 5 3500u ( …Thanks for all the comments - I’m not against getting a Ryzen 5 3500u (I’ve always built desktops with intel so not so well versed with the equiv pros and cons of the different Ryzen processors). Main issue is that the Lenovo Ideapad is 1.7kg so half a kilo heavier. She’ll be taking it back and forth between her dads and my place so I’m looking for something really lightweight. You are right - cracking specs on that though for the price. I’ll have a look to see if any of the lightweight laptops have Ryzen 5 options.

I think people get bogged down with the weight of laptops (no pun intended). Half a kilo is 500g, it's nothing.
bluep10/12/2019 19:21

Surface 2 laptop was the other model I was looking at - so which is better …Surface 2 laptop was the other model I was looking at - so which is better value - the ASUS above or this:https://www.costco.co.uk/Computers/Laptops-MacBooks/Microsoft-Surface-Laptop-2-135-inch-Intel-Core-i5-8GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-in-Platinum-LQN-00003/p/306364

Surface 2 for me
bluep10/12/2019 19:21

Surface 2 laptop was the other model I was looking at - so which is better …Surface 2 laptop was the other model I was looking at - so which is better value - the ASUS above or this:https://www.costco.co.uk/Computers/Laptops-MacBooks/Microsoft-Surface-Laptop-2-135-inch-Intel-Core-i5-8GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-in-Platinum-LQN-00003/p/306364

This is just posted - hotukdeals.com/dea…375

Best for your budget.
deeky10/12/2019 19:28

I think people get bogged down with the weight of laptops (no pun …I think people get bogged down with the weight of laptops (no pun intended). Half a kilo is 500g, it's nothing.

I know, usually I wouldn’t care - when I bought my gaming laptop I didn’t pay attention to the weight as I wasn’t carrying it around everywhere. However she will be taking to school most days on the bus and her bag is heavy with books etc already.
Palwan10/12/2019 19:39

This is just posted - …This is just posted - https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/microsoft-surface-laptop-3-135-intel-core-i5-128-gb-ssd-platinum-3360375Best for your budget.

I just saw it - very tempting but what about warranty repairs etc if something goes wrong - I presume you’d have to deal with Amazon Germany / The manufacturers German arm and send it back for repair there?
my laptop is 14 inch and it weighs 1.45kg. i was looking for a laptop that is as light as possible without being really expensive and at 1.45kg, this is the lightest for 14 inch that i have seen around for a reasonable price.

battery life is also important on a laptop but your specs sound too top ended for school. you don't need that much spec for school.

i would say that i5 or ryzen 5 with 8GB of ram will be more than sufficient for school. if you have money to spend then you get smaller screen than 14 inch and that will reduce the weight of the laptop.

there are some microsoft surface laptops on the deal section at just over 13 inch screen weighing 1.25 kg that would be be suitable.
Edited by: "mutley1" 10th Dec 2019
bluep10/12/2019 19:45

I just saw it - very tempting but what about warranty repairs etc if …I just saw it - very tempting but what about warranty repairs etc if something goes wrong - I presume you’d have to deal with Amazon Germany / The manufacturers German arm and send it back for repair there?

Honestly, for what you need I would spend half that. I wouldn't be happy with my kid taking an £800 laptop to school every day. I expect accidental damage cover would be more useful than warranty.

Anyway, I'll bow out now, people far more knowledgeable that me are arriving.
Edited by: "deeky" 10th Dec 2019
I wouldnt spend more than a couple of hundred on a laptop to take to and from school.

In fact for your budget you could get one for home use and a smaller less powerful one for school.
deeky10/12/2019 19:50

Honestly, for what you need I would spend half that. I wouldn't be happy …Honestly, for what you need I would spend half that. I wouldn't be happy with my kid taking an £800 laptop to school every day. I expect accidental damage cover would be more useful than warranty.Anyway, I'll bow out now, people far more knowledgeable that me are arriving.

Appreciate your point of view but I don’t feel I need to justifying the buying criteria. Weight / portability is one of the most important factors as are specs that will last as long as possible before they grind to a halt.

If I said I was looking for an iPad for her to carry back and forth or an iPhone, people wouldn’t bat an eyelid and they are these kinds of prices.
bluep10/12/2019 20:10

Appreciate your point of view but I don’t feel I need to justifying the b …Appreciate your point of view but I don’t feel I need to justifying the buying criteria. Weight / portability is one of the most important factors as are specs that will last as long as possible before they grind to a halt.If I said I was looking for an iPad for her to carry back and forth or an iPhone, people wouldn’t bat an eyelid and they are these kinds of prices.

You don't need to justify anything to me. It's your money. I was just offering a point of view, like you said.
The surface 2 at Costco is sold out now but I’m thinking this is a good option. i5, cheaper, 14 inch screen and 0.95kg in weight.

costco.co.uk/Com…274
why do you need an i7 for school work? a i5 or ryzen will do as long as it has 8gb and ssd it will run good...
The asus you link is good enough in terms of spec.

She’ll be taking it back and forth between her dads and my place so I’m loo …She’ll be taking it back and forth between her dads and my place so I’m looking for something really lightweight. You are right - cracking specs on that though for the price. I’ll have a look to see if any of the lightweight laptops have Ryzen 5 options.

Couldn't she leave a cheaper laptop at each dad's place?
How many are there?
Erudite11/12/2019 10:25

Couldn't she leave a cheaper laptop at each dad's place?How many are there?

Hahaha just one dad. I’m her mum!
Thanks for all the help guys. Appreciate you taking the time to discuss. Happy Christmas!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions