Opinions on this prebuilt PC

Found 22nd Mar
Saw a Dell XPS 8920 on the outlet store (rolling the dice here but free returns) with the following specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7700 (Quad Core, 3.6GHz, 8MB, 65W)

Windows 10 Home (64bit)

16GB (2X8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 UDIMM Non-ECC

2 TB 3.5inch SATA3 Hard Drive (7200RPM)

256GB PCIe M.2 Solid State Drive

Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)

8GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Graphics Memory

XPS 8920 EPA Chassis (460W PSU)

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11ac, 1x1, 2.4 & 5GHz + Bluetooth 4.2

Dell USB Optical Mouse - Black

Heatsink

Dell 105 Key USB Keyboard Black

With discount, it came down to £845 ($1190). Obviously it's a marked down price because it's on the outlet/refurb store, but I thought I'd give it a shot (in the worst case, I'll just return it).

I looked for similar parts on conservative estimates but this still works out cheaper (if I searched properly).

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

OEM mobo by Dell (dell.com/com…rue)
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Depends on what GTX 1070 you get with it. Alarming that you're quoting dollars, I wouldn't import a PC as sending it back will probably be a pain. You can pick up an i5 8600k which is comparable than the i7 7700 for around £218, coffee lake motherboard for around £90. Probably cheaper than this if you buy a bundle. GPU/ram prices are the only thing keeping the prices up.
PUT THE exact same parts into partpicker , and then decide whether the build premium is worth it. At least if you buy the whole thing pre-built it takes the stress and worry out of assembling plus you have a 1/2 year warranty . Looks like a pretty decent PC and that CPU and GPU should be good for quite a few years. And its easy enough to get a new GPU in two/three years if you feel the need .
kester761 h, 17 m ago

Depends on what GTX 1070 you get with it. Alarming that you're quoting …Depends on what GTX 1070 you get with it. Alarming that you're quoting dollars, I wouldn't import a PC as sending it back will probably be a pain. You can pick up an i5 8600k which is comparable than the i7 7700 for around £218, coffee lake motherboard for around £90. Probably cheaper than this if you buy a bundle. GPU/ram prices are the only thing keeping the prices up.

Ah the dollar conversions for for r/buildapc (more of an American audience), this is from the Dell UK outlet store. I think I read somewhere that the 1070 is a founder edition version and is not a mini form factor. I would 100% agree with you and go for the options you've suggested, but with the inflated GPU/RAM prices these days, this prebuilt looks value for money and somewhat futureproof. Tbh if I were to upgrade in the future, I'd probably replace the mobo/case bundle to be more compatible with newer CPUs.
0racle16 m ago

Ah the dollar conversions for for r/buildapc (more of an American …Ah the dollar conversions for for r/buildapc (more of an American audience), this is from the Dell UK outlet store. I think I read somewhere that the 1070 is a founder edition version and is not a mini form factor. I would 100% agree with you and go for the options you've suggested, but with the inflated GPU/RAM prices these days, this prebuilt looks value for money and somewhat futureproof. Tbh if I were to upgrade in the future, I'd probably replace the mobo/case bundle to be more compatible with newer CPUs.

It's hard to buy a decent system now without inflated ram or GPUs. I'm hoping that a new GPU chipset manufacturer emerges as it has been Nvidia and ATI/AMD for far to long. We need fresh blood in the market and the money is there for lower end GPUs. For now I would go for CPU/RAM/MOBO over GPU as the market is pretty messed up. Once the newer cards are released the old models should filter down as it becomes less profitable to mine using them. I just hope that nvidia/AMD produce cards that are a lot more expensive but are 2x the performance to make coin mining more difficult. Hopefully nvidia will price them about £1000 to stop manufacturers from cashing in.
kester7616 h, 43 m ago

It's hard to buy a decent system now without inflated ram or GPUs. I'm …It's hard to buy a decent system now without inflated ram or GPUs. I'm hoping that a new GPU chipset manufacturer emerges as it has been Nvidia and ATI/AMD for far to long. We need fresh blood in the market and the money is there for lower end GPUs. For now I would go for CPU/RAM/MOBO over GPU as the market is pretty messed up. Once the newer cards are released the old models should filter down as it becomes less profitable to mine using them. I just hope that nvidia/AMD produce cards that are a lot more expensive but are 2x the performance to make coin mining more difficult. Hopefully nvidia will price them about £1000 to stop manufacturers from cashing in.

Clear case of a duopoly in the market - if only there were more competitive GPU providers outside the big 2 to flood the market and free us from the cryptominers and resellers. Do you know much about the Aurora R7 (similar to the 8920/30s)? For £200 on top (£1050 total), I could get what I mentioned above with upgrades as: i7-8700, 300 series mobo, ddr4 2666mhz RAM (2400 above), an NVMe version of the 256gb SSD and GTX 1080 founders edition. Is it worth paying that extra amount to get the the listed?
0racle3 h, 21 m ago

Clear case of a duopoly in the market - if only there were more …Clear case of a duopoly in the market - if only there were more competitive GPU providers outside the big 2 to flood the market and free us from the cryptominers and resellers. Do you know much about the Aurora R7 (similar to the 8920/30s)? For £200 on top (£1050 total), I could get what I mentioned above with upgrades as: i7-8700, 300 series mobo, ddr4 2666mhz RAM (2400 above), an NVMe version of the 256gb SSD and GTX 1080 founders edition. Is it worth paying that extra amount to get the the listed?

Yes, you're getting a massive leap for that extra £200. The 1080 fe is VR 90fps capable in most games.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants