Opinions wanted

So guys I'm here for some opinions on the following:

I'm due to complete my training in a job that has taken years & years to complete. The last two years i've been working for a company which I have HATED. Mainly due to a boss who was a total bully and made every employees life a total misery. He left the company a couple of months ago and whilst things have got better, they have not improved as much as I was hoping they would.

Over the last two years I have consistently said to anybody who would listen that I would leave the minute I could etc. Thing is I can leave in 3 weeks (fully qualified) but the company have told me they want to stay on and are going to basically double my wages!

I had been planning to travel and have a enough money to do it for a couple of months. Thing is now I'm thinking should I stay because jobs are becoming rarer and the money is great. I know I'll be miserable in the job but it would be the best thing for my career if I stay. Whereas I'll have a great time traveling but it wouldn't help the career

so do you think I should I stay or should I go?

P.S I kinda already have my mind up but just wanted to know what other people would do in my position

20 Comments

I would stay and hope that it would improve

I'd go travelling....money isn't everything and the job market isn't as bad as it was 6 months ago. Go have some fun hun :thumbsup:

Depends what other commitments you have,if you not got anything like a mortgage then leave and go travelling for a few mths and hope when you get back you'll find a new job.

I don't see much point in doing a job you don't like,I wouldn't anyway.

why dont you stay until things get better or you save enough money to travel but dont stay in a job that makes you soo miserable for too long!

Go - it's your reward for having stuck it out:thumbsup:

Go travelling.

can u try and get a job with another company and ask it they would delay your start date for a month or 2 so you could a bit of travelling??

Original Poster

I'm 26 - got no mortgage or kids, a small amount of debt (from uni). I have got a girlfriend tho (but she thinks I should quit the job and is being supportive about the traveling)

stay, take a holiday though and travel first, come back and be as fresh as a daisy to work

roryk83;5307799

I'm 26 - got no mortgage or kids, a small amount of debt (from uni). I … I'm 26 - got no mortgage or kids, a small amount of debt (from uni). I have got a girlfriend tho (but she thinks I should quit the job and is being supportive about the traveling)

Go now. cos later on you might be a home buyer,have children etc.

Tell em you will stay but they have to give you month off (if they want ya badly enough). Then travel and return to the job.

cherishu2;5307908

Tell em you will stay but they have to give you month off (if they want … Tell em you will stay but they have to give you month off (if they want ya badly enough). Then travel and return to the job.

yeah good idea but if you want a month off ask for 6weeks then you can come down a bit

If you don't go you will regret it in years to come.

Follow your heart.

Have you qualified in something in which you will easily find another job when you return should you decide to go?

Stay mate - as you've said, jobs are scarce and you can always do with more money in your pocket, especially given the current economic situation worldwide.

It sounds as though you are lacking a bit of confidence. Do you enjoy your present career choice? If you do it may be best to complete your training then go travelling if thats what you want to do. Many of the obstacles you talk of are obstacles that you are placing in the way. If you have confidence and providing you have not tied yourself to a dying industry then a young fit single man should be able to pick up the pieces again. Life is uncertain anyway. What would happen if you stay and company goes bust or is bought out by another. Life is not completely risk free. Take a bit of a chance.

what happiness will staying on there give? none

sure, it i will give you more cash, but what would you rather think of on your death bed - your memories from your adventures travelling, or a number on your bank statement?

stay on for a few months, get some more cash, and travel

if you defer travelling you will regret it, do it whilst young

since you are in a trade, you should be able to find a job relatively easy. nz and australia consider some trades highly and make work or residency visas easier for those folks..

their bribe of double the your apprentice pay shouldnt really be considered as a major deciding factor. it is a standard expectation when progressing from apprentice to qualified to have a significant increase in pay. so negate that argument

Original Poster

yeah the majority of people seem to agree with what I decided - which is to travel

I am qualifying into a highly competitive and respected profession, however the recession is hitting all professions so there is no guarantee of a job on my return. Although I do not enjoy the job and it typically results in people 'burning out' by their early 30's due to the demands placed on you but as I said before the money can be great

Money can be a great decider, when you haven't got a lot to last! But I think having a more diverse experience is much more fullfilling, can you take a three month break?
I wish I had the get up and go, to travel after qualifying, instead of thinking more mainstream...If you will make sooo much money by the time your 30, stay in your job.
Dont have Regreats..

I'd stay with it.

Earn the money, keep your travelling money and travel later - It's hard to know if you'd get back into a good job afterwards.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764019
    2. Better watch out for these...1017
    3. Now TV CODES - Free Sky Entertainment/Kids/Cinema/Sports813
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846094

See more discussions