Opinions/advice regarding "cartakeback.com" please...

Posted 20th Dec 2019
May I ask my fellow HUKD'ers if any of you have any experience with the company mentioned in the title? I happened across a car website that recommended using these guys:

cartakeback.com/

I just wondered if any of you had used them in the past and had any words; good or bad; to say about it? Most importantly, did they pay you the amount you were quoted or did they offer less once they had the vehicle in their possession?

I am a little hesitant to use them for the following reason(s). Having spoken with them, they were very quick to provide a quote. They asked me NO questions regarding the car - even though their website suggests they will and were a bit 'cagey' when I queried if the car is definitely scrapped. When asked for clarification it was discovered that they "buy" your car - to then do with as they see fit. It could be scrapped, broken or repaired. YOU don't get a choice. in the matter.

Anyway, If anyone has any feedback on them, I'd appreciate a comment.

Thanks as always, Phsy.
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Yep used them once, guy just handed me cheque and craned it onto the back and off he went.
It was a redcorn truck out of Tottenham that came to me so used them for 2nd and 3rd collection always collect on time and hand over cheque
I don’t have any feedback on the company but the general saying is if you don’t feel right about it don’t do it c
Any person or place you sell your car to can strip it if they wish; it becomes their property. If you don’t want this for your vehicle you are best to sell privately and choose your buyer.
These types of business all operate the same way. No one can value a vehicle properly without seeing it. Whilst I’m not saying they don’t up the price so they can take money off for defects, if you chose these business it’s more because you want to get rid of a car quickly - you lose money for that convenience.
All my cars sold to them are effectively scrap, ie I get a few hundred quid and no hassle for an old banger that’s going to cost double or triple that to get through mot.
used them last year best price I could get think it was £20 more, guy came drove the car to his transporter and a couple of days later got the certificate of distruction. Money was in our account same day or next day really quick easy process. Picked up by a local company, then shipped to their regional office

No discussion on the price at all, as its not their guys that pick it up dont think they could ever do that.
Edited by: "eslick" 20th Dec 2019
choccie3220/12/2019 12:24

Any person or place you sell your car to can strip it if they wish; it …Any person or place you sell your car to can strip it if they wish; it becomes their property. If you don’t want this for your vehicle you are best to sell privately and choose your buyer. These types of business all operate the same way. No one can value a vehicle properly without seeing it. Whilst I’m not saying they don’t up the price so they can take money off for defects, if you chose these business it’s more because you want to get rid of a car quickly - you lose money for that convenience.

This is very true, choccie32. My main issue is whether they would quote a price, take the car - then try and lower the price because its "not worth as much as we thought it was." I just have visions of them calling and saying that they can't give what they said and I can either accept a lower price or have the car back - but it'll cost me to have the car returned. These sort of things DO happen so I'm just being vigilant.

7ommy.78 said they paid a cheque but I don't know if they do that anymore. It sounds as if they pay by bank transfer. This; of course; gives them the scope/time to "change" the deal. When asked if they'll definitely scrap, the chap ummed & ahh'ed and said, "If they decide to scrap, you'll be sent the legal document."

I understand how their system works. It's my choice to go with it or not. I just don't like the uncertainty really and just wanted to see if others with experience of them say to avoid.
eslick20/12/2019 12:32

used them last year best price I could get think it was £20 more, guy came …used them last year best price I could get think it was £20 more, guy came drove the car to his transporter and a couple of days later got the certificate of distruction. Money was in our account same day or next day really quick easy process. Picked up by a local company, then shipped to their regional office.

Thanks for that appraisal eslick. Appreciated.

Was there really any doubt your vehicle would be scrapped or was there a chance it would be resurrected? It puzzles me that they have a separate tab for "Scrap your car" and "Sell your car" but the quote seems to cover both? Or perhaps it doesn't? I don't really know. The guy just said "We will buy your car for xxxx."
Phsycronix20/12/2019 12:33

This is very true, choccie32. My main issue is whether they would quote a …This is very true, choccie32. My main issue is whether they would quote a price, take the car - then try and lower the price because its "not worth as much as we thought it was." I just have visions of them calling and saying that they can't give what they said and I can either accept a lower price or have the car back - but it'll cost me to have the car returned. These sort of things DO happen so I'm just being vigilant.7ommy.78 said they paid a cheque but I don't know if they do that anymore. It sounds as if they pay by bank transfer. This; of course; gives them the scope/time to "change" the deal. When asked if they'll definitely scrap, the chap ummed & ahh'ed and said, "If they decide to scrap, you'll be sent the legal document."I understand how their system works. It's my choice to go with it or not. I just don't like the uncertainty really and just wanted to see if others with experience of them say to avoid.

I think most of it is done on weighed value of the car not the condition.
Phsycronix20/12/2019 12:36

Thanks for that appraisal eslick. Appreciated. Was there really any …Thanks for that appraisal eslick. Appreciated. Was there really any doubt your vehicle would be scrapped or was there a chance it would be resurrected? It puzzles me that they have a separate tab for "Scrap your car" and "Sell your car" but the quote seems to cover both? Or perhaps it doesn't? I don't really know. The guy just said "We will buy your car for xxxx."

Ah didnt realise they bought as well, ours was purely scrap.
eslick20/12/2019 12:37

Ah didnt realise they bought as well, ours was purely scrap.

This is my issue. Well, it's not an issue as such as; of course; I need the vehicle gone but I just don't want the wool being pulled over my eyes if these lot were a bit unscrupulous. It seemed 'odd' to have both options but they only give you one quote because in both instances, they are "buying" your car - same as if you were to sell it privately. Upon reading, this was an early way of getting around the new law regarding cash for cars. Not that I'm suggesting that is what these guys are doing. I'm just using a 'due diligence' approach to see what others may have experienced.
Phsycronix20/12/2019 12:46

This is my issue. Well, it's not an issue as such as; of course; I need the …This is my issue. Well, it's not an issue as such as; of course; I need the vehicle gone but I just don't want the wool being pulled over my eyes if these lot were a bit unscrupulous. It seemed 'odd' to have both options but they only give you one quote because in both instances, they are "buying" your car - same as if you were to sell it privately. Upon reading, this was an early way of getting around the new law regarding cash for cars. Not that I'm suggesting that is what these guys are doing. I'm just using a 'due diligence' approach to see what others may have experienced.

just checking we actually used motorwise.com/ for the quote, they only do scrap cars from what I can see but it was cartakeback who did the back end processes, they sent the certificate of distruction not sure if they are the same company. Reviews are mixed now but back when we got ours collected they were all good, I suppose the issue is their contractors for collection from the reveiws, ours though was excellent.
eslick20/12/2019 13:01

just checking we actually used https://www.motorwise.com/ for the quote, …just checking we actually used https://www.motorwise.com/ for the quote, they only do scrap cars from what I can see but it was cartakeback who did the back end processes, they sent the certificate of distruction not sure if they are the same company. Reviews are mixed now but back when we got ours collected they were all good, I suppose the issue is their contractors for collection from the reveiws, ours though was excellent.

Ah, ok. Haven't heard of them. Just had a look at the link you provided, thank you. Sounds very similar to CTB. They sound more like 'brokers' i.e. middlemen who get a kickback from the recycler. Perhaps that's also what CTB do? As you say, maybe the same company but just like many others, offer their service under lots of different names...
Don't know how much the car is worth, but have you considered donating it to your local fire service, or your local college where they run a car mechanic course?
JimboParrot20/12/2019 13:53

Don't know how much the car is worth, but have you considered donating it …Don't know how much the car is worth, but have you considered donating it to your local fire service, or your local college where they run a car mechanic course?

That's a wonderful idea JP. No, I hadn't. I'll be honest though and say I could REALLY do with the money at present. I will give it some consideration. Appreciate the comment however as sadly it never crossed my mind...

Cheers, Phsy.
Ah well, the cars gone. Waved her goodbye today. Thought I'd just update with my findings...

Used Cartakeback in the end. Not sure to what benefit though really? They are just 'middle-people' (see, I can be PC!) and pass your details on to a local scrapper/recycler near you. I could have done that myself, I guess. I don't know whether the 'direct' approach would have netted me more for my car - I guess I'll never know. Meh.

The whole process was a bit 'head-scratchy' really. The CTB rep said I would hear from the salvager either the same day or possibly the next. No call that day. However, at just after midnight!!! I get an email from CTB saying I don't appear to have been contacted yet and they'll (we'll) be in touch soon??? I'm left wondering who. CTB or salvager?

Next day, no call. Weekend - no call (yet apparently they work Saturdays). Monday AM, call from salvager. Collection not sure so he'll have to call someone else and get back to me. Then a short while later, two emails from CTB - one tells me my collection is arranged BEFORE I've yet heard from the salvager. The other one tells me they are coming tomorrow (yet it's still referenced/dated as today???) All before I've actually arranged anything! These guys either have a time machine OR a crystal ball!

Long story short(er) - salvager calls again - collection arranged - all done and dusted. Cheque given and DVLA notified of the change of ownership online.

Thanks to those of you that left a comment. Greatly appreciated, as always.

Regards, Phsy.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions