Expired

Opodo holiday booking experience - any reviews of this company?

Found 5th Nov 2014
I've been looking at flights to Las Vegas recently for my brothers wedding for my family (2AD 3CH) and through Skyscanner they found that Opodo came out the cheapest (approx £2000 whereas Thomas Cook £4000+) As you can see a major price difference so happy with the saving.

Then reading reviews on trust pilot and tripadvisor got me worried, people saying that they didn't get their tickets, flights being cancelled, costs changing last minute and their customer services really bad.

I would like to know if any of you HUKD users have ever used this company for long haul flights and share your experiences, good or bad.
Community Updates
28 Comments
Try momondo or expedia for flights...
Original Poster
jamilayz

Try momondo or expedia for flights...

Never heard of momondo, do you use them instead of skyscanner as the layout seems similar but they end up going to the same partner websites for bookings . . .
I have used momondo before & they are cheaper than skyscanner but do some research on the merchant.

Sometimes expedia have got great deals on flights as well.

What are your travelling dates & from where?
Original Poster
jamilayz

I have used momondo before & they are cheaper than skyscanner but do some … I have used momondo before & they are cheaper than skyscanner but do some research on the merchant.Sometimes expedia have got great deals on flights as well.What are your travelling dates & from where?

Official dates are not until July 2016 but looked at flight for July 2015 to budget. Dates for 2015 looked at 24th Jul - 7th Aug from Manchester. Few months back Opodo had Thomas Cook flights for £443 each whereas from Thomas Cook had them at £800+??
Skyscanner & Momondo are both coming at £871 each....
Original Poster
jamilayz

Skyscanner & Momondo are both coming at £871 each....

Thanks for that, but really need to know if anyone has experience of Opodo??
Even with Opodo it's £929.19 each.

Best of luck anyway.....
Original Poster
jamilayz

Even with Opodo it's £929.19 each.Best of luck anyway.....

... Thank-you but if you read my question, back in September Opodo had them for £2000 whereas now they are £4000+
Prices of the flights change everyday...

I used Opodo when I went to Croatia in 2011 worked out £150 return including luggage as we got indirect flights. I have no complaints myself but I would watch that it leaves you enough time between flights if you're going indirect as some of the options we looked at had half an hour between landing and boarding another flight which doesn't leave much wiggle room if there's delays etc.
I've used Opodo a few times, admittedly several years ago with no problems at all. Most of the possible problems that you list (flights being canx etc) are nothing to do with Opodo or other travel agents, so in that sense it doesn't matter who you book with.
Original Poster
sparky111091

I used Opodo when I went to Croatia in 2011 worked out £150 return … I used Opodo when I went to Croatia in 2011 worked out £150 return including luggage as we got indirect flights. I have no complaints myself but I would watch that it leaves you enough time between flights if you're going indirect as some of the options we looked at had half an hour between landing and boarding another flight which doesn't leave much wiggle room if there's delays etc.

We would try to book direct and well in advance but how did you get your tickets? Did they come via email within 48 hours? Did you experience any pre flight disruptions?
Original Poster
Pandamansays

I've used Opodo a few times, admittedly several years ago with no … I've used Opodo a few times, admittedly several years ago with no problems at all. Most of the possible problems that you list (flights being canx etc) are nothing to do with Opodo or other travel agents, so in that sense it doesn't matter who you book with.

Fair one, i understand this is the case! But surely a long haul flight that flies twice a week shouldn't be cancelled? I would maybe expect European or Internal flights in the UK to be though as it is down to bookings per flight . . .
radders112

We would try to book direct and well in advance but how did you get your … We would try to book direct and well in advance but how did you get your tickets? Did they come via email within 48 hours? Did you experience any pre flight disruptions?

We got sent an e-ticket that we printed off and when we got to the airport it was exchanged for boarding passes for each leg of the journey. Our luggage was also checked in from start to finish so we didn't need to collect our cases and check them in again at any point which was good.
We've used Opodo in the past for flights and hotels and had no problems
Original Poster
jlc57

We've used Opodo in the past for flights and hotels and had no problems

When did you use them? Was it this year? Where did you travel to?
Edited by: "radders112" 7th Nov 2014
i have also used opodo twice for my flights in the past (they are a searchengine / reseller) , never had a problem. last one was a flight to dubai with a 13hr stop in Istanbul and 15hr stop on the way back. both times arriving istanbul between 6-9 am. had two full days in a way. all for a £260 ticket.
or £280
radders112

When did you use them? Was it this year? Where did you travel to?

Just checked and it was 2012 to Florida. We've also used Lastminute.com (no problem) and this year we're using Expedia (wait and see!)
Opodo are just an intermediary so source the flight operator and check their site as normally these intermediaries charge more ime
Original Poster
fahed2000

i have also used opodo twice for my flights in the past (they are a … i have also used opodo twice for my flights in the past (they are a searchengine / reseller) , never had a problem. last one was a flight to dubai with a 13hr stop in Istanbul and 15hr stop on the way back. both times arriving istanbul between 6-9 am. had two full days in a way. all for a £260 ticket.

Did you travel this year? Their price are really good but the reviews and peoples experiences put me off! Like i say we are looking at Las Vegas in 2016 for a family wedding so we cannot afford and cancellations or last minute problems . . .
Original Poster
jlc57

Just checked and it was 2012 to Florida. We've also used Lastminute.com … Just checked and it was 2012 to Florida. We've also used Lastminute.com (no problem) and this year we're using Expedia (wait and see!)

Did you get a good deal for Florida and all tickets come via email? I have never used lastminute or expedia for holidays, just hotels and no problem in that department!
Original Poster
chocci

Opodo are just an intermediary so source the flight operator and check … Opodo are just an intermediary so source the flight operator and check their site as normally these intermediaries charge more ime

Yes i understand that, each day their prices changed and even in the same day changed by a few £1000!! Just don't know if it is a risk booking with them . . . or pay nearly double and go with an Airline (i.e. Thomas Cook)
I love Momondo, it has a very reliable email update after you have got an initial price. I have recently used it to monitor prices to Borneo and it has been fascinating watching the price vary between 444 and 690.

However, all websites like this do is screenscrape for the cheapest price and some of the travel companies they refer you to have poor reputations. So, get the best internet price, then ring up a reputable agent, I use STA, and ask them to price match or go as close as possible. You may not get the very cheapest price, but you will at least have started knowing the cheapest flight, then got as close to the best deal with a reputable seller.

I have also found Skyscanner good, but less reliable for best price recently.

Edited by: "airbus330" 7th Nov 2014
radders112

Did you travel this year? Their price are really good but the reviews and … Did you travel this year? Their price are really good but the reviews and peoples experiences put me off! Like i say we are looking at Las Vegas in 2016 for a family wedding so we cannot afford and cancellations or last minute problems . . .

I have last travelled through their booking on end of April to beginning of may last year 2013.
however to the best of my knowledge if booked and you receive your eticket number and reservaion then that is it, its you dealing with the airliner then. unless you need to amend the tickets
Original Poster
airbus330

I love Momondo, it has a very reliable email update after you have got an … I love Momondo, it has a very reliable email update after you have got an initial price. I have recently used it to monitor prices to Borneo and it has been fascinating watching the price vary between 444 and 690.However, all websites like this do is screenscrape for the cheapest price and some of the travel companies they refer you to have poor reputations. So, get the best internet price, then ring up a reputable agent, I use STA, and ask them to price match or go as close as possible. You may not get the very cheapest price, but you will at least have started knowing the cheapest flight, then got as close to the best deal with a reputable seller.I have also found Skyscanner good, but less reliable for best price recently.

Thats a great way to look at it!! Get the quote and contact the airline direct to price match or get as close as possible!! Thanks for your help
Original Poster
fahed2000

I have last travelled through their booking on end of April to beginning … I have last travelled through their booking on end of April to beginning of may last year 2013.however to the best of my knowledge if booked and you receive your eticket number and reservaion then that is it, its you dealing with the airliner then. unless you need to amend the tickets

fahed2000

I have last travelled through their booking on end of April to beginning … I have last travelled through their booking on end of April to beginning of may last year 2013.however to the best of my knowledge if booked and you receive your eticket number and reservaion then that is it, its you dealing with the airliner then. unless you need to amend the tickets

I suppose you are right, we would not be booking last minute so there would be enough time to sort out any queries, thanks for your help
as mentioned above use opodo / expedia / monodo then go to the airline direct and try and get same price - normally it works, or at least get them to price match. But sometimes the agents such as opodo have special deals

all are just booking agents so if you need to change anything or speak with the airline the airline will refer you to the agent unless you book direct.

Always best to deal with the airline directly - less hassle

Two examples

last new year we booked for Berlin with Lufthansa - found the price on expedia I think then booked directly with Lufthansa. We got bumped of the return flight and were no informed. I kick up sh1t with Lufty and got it sorted and costs covered. If this had been with expedia then Lufty would have not dealt with the issue and told me to go via expedia.

conversely - going to Cape Town soon with Turkish and got a good price on opodo - but Turkish were 60 or 70 more so booked via opodo. When seat allocation became possible 90 days before the flights it was not possible for tickets not booked via Turkish directly so in theory we would have been left with what is left at the checkin process. Luckily I am a Star Alliance frequent traveller and got Turkish to sort it on a recent business trip to IST - but not always possible for most I guess

hth

EliTom
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions