Optical Coherence Tomography scan (OCT) 3D scan of the Eye

Posted 15th Feb
specsavers.co.uk/eye…can

I am not promoting a company but recently had this test done at my optician. Its new and excellent at preventitive medicine and will save the NHS a fortune and make your life better.

Please go and get a 3D test it might change your life.

Mine came out very positive but have booked another one in for next year

Tests for Glaucoma, Diabetic Retinopathy, Detached Retina, Age-related macular degeneration, Macular hole.

Glaucoma is spotted four years earlier than current techniques

The eyes are a barometer of many other illnesses too!!

Ask your optician about it?

The appliance of science
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

10 Comments
They have done this at our local specsavers for years as part of every examination! Adults and children!
nadhaw15/02/2020 17:51

They have done this at our local specsavers for years as part of every …They have done this at our local specsavers for years as part of every examination! Adults and children!

New in my area but very good and useful, none of my friends knew about it.
Specsavers did mine and referred me to hospital. I now have glaucoma in my 30's. At least I have an excuse when wife moans at me because I cant find something
Is the scan owned by Specsavers, could I give it to the NHS if you get my meaning
esar15/02/2020 18:02

Is the scan owned by Specsavers, could I give it to the NHS if you get my …Is the scan owned by Specsavers, could I give it to the NHS if you get my meaning

If they find anything concerning, they’ll contact your GP who will in turn refer you to the hospital. They won’t let you have a copy of the scan to take away.
esar15/02/2020 18:02

Is the scan owned by Specsavers, could I give it to the NHS if you get my …Is the scan owned by Specsavers, could I give it to the NHS if you get my meaning

This has been available in Hospitals for quite a few years used for Diabetic and other early onset eye issues. Many opticians are investing in it as an added form of investigative and preventative medicine. Just thought it was interesting to know.
Toptrumpet15/02/2020 18:05

If they find anything concerning, they’ll contact your GP who will in turn …If they find anything concerning, they’ll contact your GP who will in turn refer you to the hospital. They won’t let you have a copy of the scan to take away.

Your average GP doesn't know much about eyes so yes great if the scan prompts them into sending you to a Ophthalmologist.
My wife went for a routine check, had OCT and discovered a that she had had a bleed on the retina. Potentially serious so straight off to hospital. Money well spent on that test. Only slightly annoying fact was that the consultant insisted that the OCT was redone by the hospital medical photographer, which seemed a bit of a waste of NHS resource as it showed exactly the same image and problem.
How much is the test?
esar16/02/2020 03:11

How much is the test?

Thats a really good question. My wife paid £130 for her scan at a local opticians a few months back. Now, in the last week or so Specsavers announced that they were rolling out the same tech, but the price isn't that easy to find. A couple of internet hits suggest it will be a £10 extra charge on top of the standard eye test rate. This seems very reasonable.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants