Groups

Optical Switch

Banned
    I have found an optical switch on ebay so I can connect more then one device to my surround sound.

they recommend using 6mm thick cables with it does it really make a difference.

Thanks

10 Comments

Original Poster Banned

http://i11.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/9c/e4/b46c_1.JPG

Had one meself, its not good.

If hotukdeals search wasnt so crap, id post a link of one someone found on amazon for £4 and the comments made from people.

Original Poster Banned

what was wrong with it

splatsplatsplat

If hotukdeals search wasnt so crap, id post a link of one someone found … If hotukdeals search wasnt so crap, id post a link of one someone found on amazon for £4 and the comments made from people.

hotukdeals.com/dea…606

Just use google to search, it's much easier!

Original Poster Banned

Is there another witch I could get that of better quality

hotukdeals.com/dea…385

Never had a problem with it myself - lol

This is the one I ordered from e-bay, came with 3x 1.5m optical cables which suited me fine

Seach that well known online auction site for item number: 380308480611
    Should be a 3 way optical switch with Leads from Kenable.

Edited by: "Funder" 4th Feb 2011

Original Poster Banned

Funder

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hq-optical-toslink-3-port-switch-4-45-delivered-amazon/860606?p=10468385Never had a problem with it myself - lolThis is the one I ordered from e-bay, came with 3x 1.5m optical cables which suited me fine :)Seach that well known online auction site for item number: 380308480611 Should be a 3 way optical switch with Leads from Kenable.

Yeah I am looking at the one from kenable

is there Sound quality loss aging though this I have read that as its optical these is not sound loss. Is this true and how do you find the sound going though one of these.

kenable are a good company. Got all my remote dimmers from them

No noticable change in sound, not that there should be. Optical transmission is a form of digital, so as long as the light gets from one end to the other and isn't obscurred in between it should be fine.

All I did with mine was shone a torch in the main input port, and checked that it came out of the other ports at each of the correct switch positions. just to make sure that the fibre optics inside the switch was not damaged

(There is no 'clever' electronics in these switches. Effectively you have a piece of optical cable that is connected to the main port at one end, and is physically moved by the switch to one of the output ports. Keep it simple, less to go wrong )

All I would say is make sure that you have the optical cables the right way around when you plug them in, (the holes & cables are keyed), and also make sure you push them fully in (you should feel it 'click' into place), there have been complaints from people about the cables popping out, but I know from my switch that if the cable is pushed in fully there is no-way it could ever 'pop' out
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…811
      2. Whoop! Next Sale VIP Slots have been released55
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047067
      4. New TV,Film & Ebook Releases 2407239
      5. Well Done Turkey, Education improvement1327

See more discussions