Optimal CRT TV size?

Found 10th Sep 2010
Hi, I'm going to get a "new" CRT TV to replace the one that I had since 1994 which has been dead for about 1.5 years now, and it was a 28" one. It was really quite a good set even after all those years.

I tried the PS2 on a 42" HDTV but it looks very poor, and I could not stand it for too long. The TV is only going to be used to play PS1/PS2 games, and will need to be a 4:3 model (can't stand those black bars on the side... grrr). I was wondering what size would be best for this purpose. I was thinking about getting a 21" inch one, but is this a good size and will I notice much going from a 28"?

Thank you.

1. Misc
  2. CRT
  3. TV
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. CRT
  3. TV
8 Comments

32" was about the largest standard size, though toshiba did up to 36" as i recall in their "picture frame" series.

some 32" sets were absolutely massive and take up a lot of room so that should be taken into consideration if you definitely want a CRT

Original Poster

scrumpypaul

32" was about the largest standard size, though toshiba did up to 36" as … 32" was about the largest standard size, though toshiba did up to 36" as i recall in their "picture frame" series.some 32" sets were absolutely massive and take up a lot of room so that should be taken into consideration if you definitely want a CRT

Wow... that's probably too big then. I defintiely want a CRT and have tried PS2 and an LCD HDTV and it looks like sh!t. The 28" was really quite good, and I was considering a 21" Sony Trinitron since I have seen them recommended a lot, but wanted to know if the difference going down from 28" to 21" is a big one, and if 21" is a good size.

dcx_badass

Philips do some HD CRTs that are good, should do SD perfectly aswell.

Well if it's a HDTV then it's going to be 16:9 and not 4:3 right? I want a 4:3, otherwise the majority of PS2 games are going to have bars on the side to maintain the 4:3 ratio, since most lack 16:9 (widescreen) option.

Edited by: "Breadboy" 10th Sep 2010

You want a non widescreen CRT tv? Surely has to be a wind up?

Original Poster

No lol, but then I'm going to be distracted by stupid black bars if I get a widescreen one, and like 33% of the screen will go to waste. That's why only a 4:3 will do for me.
Edited by: "Breadboy" 10th Sep 2010

Banned

Used to play my PS2 on a 26". Don't think I would've enjoyed it as much on a 21" but I guess it depends how close you sit to it. When I got my 32" widescreen, I set it up so the picture was stretched to fill the screen. Didn't affect gameplay and no black bars.

If you're having trouble imagining how big a 21" would look, cut out a bit of cardboard 16.8" by 12.6" and prop it up where you'd have the TV to see if it's big enough. I think you might struggle finding one new but there's usually some on Gumtree.

Banned

Breadboy

No lol, but then I'm going to be distracted by stupid black bars if I get … No lol, but then I'm going to be distracted by stupid black bars if I get a widescreen one, and like 33% of the screen will go to waste. That's why only a 4:3 will do for me.

lol @ luddite - you do realise most broadcasts are widescreen now so no black bars?

21" is tiny

Original Poster

Yes, I just did, and it's rather small for my needs. I've decided on a 24"/25" as a good size (veiwing distance is about 5.5-7ft), but does anybody have any 4:3 ones of that size to recommend? I'm not too fond of streching the picture and distorting everything. It should support NTSC too.

Also, I said the word new in quotation marks lol, meaning that it's new to me but not necessarily new.

dunfyboy

Used to play my PS2 on a 26". Don't think I would've enjoyed it as much … Used to play my PS2 on a 26". Don't think I would've enjoyed it as much on a 21" but I guess it depends how close you sit to it. When I got my 32" widescreen, I set it up so the picture was stretched to fill the screen. Didn't affect gameplay and no black bars. If you're having trouble imagining how big a 21" would look, cut out a bit of cardboard 16.8" by 12.6" and prop it up where you'd have the TV to see if it's big enough. I think you might struggle finding one new but there's usually some on Gumtree.

Breadboy

No lol, but then I'm going to be distracted by stupid black bars if I … No lol, but then I'm going to be distracted by stupid black bars if I get a widescreen one, and like 33% of the screen will go to waste. That's why only a 4:3 will do for me.

I was talking about PS2, and since many games do not support widescreen yes there will be black bars... you must have missed the previous posts where I said PS2.
Edited by: "Breadboy" 12th Sep 2010

Banned

look on freecycle - free ones there quite often
Post a comment
@
    Text