Groups

optimal router location options

morning all,

i have sky coming soon to install my broadband and im wondering what my options were regarding sockets and router placement.

currently the openreach boxes in the house are very far to the back of the house and that would make wifi signal in the bedroom bad im guessing.

what im looking to do is centralize the router somehow or get wired connections to the bedroom as thats where the PS4 x2 and a few other consoles and Ethernet bits.

im going to upload some pics of the sockets i have and a floor plan once i create one but would my best bet be power line adaptions? and if so how do i get more than 1 output on the other end?

thanks for reading.

8 Comments

nekoangel

floor planon floor plan, red means openreach socket or spare phone line … floor planon floor plan, red means openreach socket or spare phone line socket, black mean power socket.second socket in another roomsockets in living roomsorry for the sloppy layout.

You could put the new router more central as per your floor plan to improve wifi throughout the house. However, if everything is going to be hard wired via ethernet then home plugs are your best option. To add more than one output at the other end either get home plugs with more than one ethernet connection or - as I use - just get some ethernet switches and plug the home plug into them and then the devices into the switch(s).
    Edited by: "Spudboy" 13th Sep 2016

Original Poster

Spudboy

You could put the new router more central as per your floor plan to … You could put the new router more central as per your floor plan to improve wifi throughout the house. However, if everything is going to be hard wired via ethernet then home plugs are your best option. To add more than one output at the other end either get home plugs with more than one ethernet connection or - as I use - just get some ethernet switches and plug the home plug into them and then the devices into the switch(s).

​Thanks for your input! I figured this was the best options. I think it might be a huge nightmare to get the router in the hall let alone power it.

So I could use one of those 8 switch things that often get posted on here.?

I'd recommend getting your homeplugs from somewhere with hassle-free returns (e.g. Amazon) - some of them aren't very good, and some homes just don't work well with them at all. Personally I've tried them a few times and never found them to be reliable, though others love them... so just give yourself a backup plan in case they don't perform.

nekoangel

​Thanks for your input! I figured this was the best options. I think it m … ​Thanks for your input! I figured this was the best options. I think it might be a huge nightmare to get the router in the hall let alone power it. So I could use one of those 8 switch things that often get posted on here.?

Absolutely !! (if it's an 8 port switch you need - 5 is plenty for my requirements personally)

My own set up is like this:

Router is upstairs plugged into a home plug.
    Other home plug is downstairs in the living room and goes into a 5 port gigabit switch - which in turn is linked to Sky Box, PS3, PS4 and an Android Box. All has worked flawlessly for a few years now.
    Edited by: "Spudboy" 13th Sep 2016

Original Poster

Well now I guess I need to hunt for the plugs etc!

Would anyone know why I have the extra phone line sockets at all? Especially the set in the bedroom.?

Two things I would do.
    1) Get rid of that Hobo flat cable plugged into your modem.
    ispreview.co.uk/ind…tml

2) Get an electrician to run a nework cable from the modem room to upstairs or just drill two holes and run the cable yourself.

Always plug the modem into the 1st master socket

Original Poster

kester76

Two things I would do. 1) Get rid of that Hobo flat cable plugged into … Two things I would do. 1) Get rid of that Hobo flat cable plugged into your modem.http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/02/importance-connecting-adsl-fttc-broadband-via-twisted-pair-cable.html2) Get an electrician to run a nework cable from the modem room to upstairs or just drill two holes and run the cable yourself.Always plug the modem into the 1st master socket

​Oh sorry didn't mention that has a home plugged into it. Ironically there isn't phone or broadband here atm my mother just leaves it plugged in for some reason.
    Also it's a flat as per the floor plan and I'm not keen or really able to do the drilling.
    Where you see the current plugged cable will be a filter I guess so it will be the master.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?3058
      2. Why do people scam on Gumtree?56
      3. Cheapest way to call landline, UK to Ireland66
      4. pringles movie codes22

See more discussions