Opting out of Contactless payments

Found 27th Jan 2016
I've only ever used it once, still prefer to punch in my pin.

Only potential problem I have now got, is if someone steals my card or if I lose it, a less than honest type of person might go on a low value, multiple shopping spree.

Do you use it without worry? am I being paranoid?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
37 Comments

You're not the only one.

Yes I just bought three boxes of tampons courtesy of your card today, thanks logie31
Edited by: "elloelle" 27th Jan 2016

I have used it and found it very comvenient, however I noticed that my transactions didn't show on my online statement until a few days later, unlike chip and pin which appear instantly, so I stopped using it.

RossD89

I have used it and found it very comvenient, however I noticed that my … I have used it and found it very comvenient, however I noticed that my transactions didn't show on my online statement until a few days later, unlike chip and pin which appear instantly, so I stopped using it.

You have protection from unauthorised use - no questions asked (as there's obviously no question of you giving someone your PIN) . TSB give me £5 cashback per £100 spent contactless - so 3 or 4 transactions and free money !

Re not showing on your account - seems to work like credit card transactions - goes off the "available balance " sum almost immediately but doesn't appear on your statement for a couple of days if mine is anything to go by .

Original Poster

rogparki

You have protection from unauthorised use - no questions asked (as … You have protection from unauthorised use - no questions asked (as there's obviously no question of you giving someone your PIN) . TSB give me £5 cashback per £100 spent contactless - so 3 or 4 transactions and free money ! Re not showing on your account - seems to work like credit card transactions - goes off the "available balance " sum almost immediately but doesn't appear on your statement for a couple of days if mine is anything to go by .

The inconvenience would not be made any more tolerable for a lousy £5, to me it just seems that deactivating something I never use, would be easier than chasing banks if someone steals/finds my card.

I've found a few debit cards over the years, mainly in supermarkets or shops, always handed them in.

My fear is someone would be tempted to use mine a few times because it is so easy.

It can be quite handy if you are short of cash especially at a weekend as you can usually spend up to £15 without the exact amount being in the account. I.e. Only have 50p in the account can spend up to £15 contactless.

This is handy to do on a Friday if you are being paid Monday as the amount doesn't flag on the account until Monday so you don't get any overdrawn fees. Also being contactless you can make multiple £15 transactions on the same 50p ,as long as they are all contactless.

I have found that over £15 it approves the exact amount. Under only checks there's something in the account.

The other thing to do without penalty is do the transaction contactless then withdraw the funds at a cash point.

Whilst obviously this affects your income when you get paid it's an interest penalty free form of borrowing for small amounts. We needed some food shopping so we put an £80 lot of shopping in 4 separate contactless transactions then went and withdrew the £20 that was in the account. We did this on a Friday as we were being paid on the Monday. Interest and fee free.

I keep my card in my palm and place my hand on the reader. The older generation in the queue look bemused as it looks like I've paid just by the power of human touch. (_;)

I feel the same with regards to someone using my contactless card. I read recently a woman lost her card, she reported it, was told any withdrawals after that is covered but £130 was still taken, not sure if she got it back. also someone close to home as serious money problems stupid bank gave him a new account without doing proper checks and issued a contactless card he now owes them over a £1000 in unauthorized payments as they said even though he didn't have any money in the account the bank had to pay. I am guessing many purchases under £15.

caverncity

I feel the same with regards to someone using my contactless card. I read … I feel the same with regards to someone using my contactless card. I read recently a woman lost her card, she reported it, was told any withdrawals after that is covered but £130 was still taken, not sure if she got it back. also someone close to home as serious money problems stupid bank gave him a new account without doing proper checks and issued a contactless card he now owes them over a £1000 in unauthorized payments as they said even though he didn't have any money in the account the bank had to pay. I am guessing many purchases under £15.

problems stupid bank gave him a new account without doing proper checks … problems stupid bank gave him a new account without doing proper checks and issued a contactless card he now owes them over a £1000 in unauthorized payments as they said even though he didn't have any money in the account the bank had to pay

I don't think the bank was the stupid party here.....

I hae one of these from the Halifax but have never used it for contactless. From what I've read if its under £30 then no authorisation is done, not even stolen card checks, is that right as it seems pretty stupid if they do no authorisation checks and no pin is required!

barrel24

It can be quite handy if you are short of cash especially at a weekend as … It can be quite handy if you are short of cash especially at a weekend as you can usually spend up to £15 without the exact amount being in the account. I.e. Only have 50p in the account can spend up to £15 contactless. This is handy to do on a Friday if you are being paid Monday as the amount doesn't flag on the account until Monday so you don't get any overdrawn fees. Also being contactless you can make multiple £15 transactions on the same 50p ,as long as they are all contactless. I have found that over £15 it approves the exact amount. Under only checks there's something in the account. The other thing to do without penalty is do the transaction contactless then withdraw the funds at a cash point. Whilst obviously this affects your income when you get paid it's an interest penalty free form of borrowing for small amounts. We needed some food shopping so we put an £80 lot of shopping in 4 separate contactless transactions then went and withdrew the £20 that was in the account. We did this on a Friday as we were being paid on the Monday. Interest and fee free.

You sound just like me!

Except with my bank, NatWest, contactless transactions made Friday, Saturday or Sunday don't show up until Tuesday. Contactless transactions made Monday to Thursday show up two days later.

One thing you have to be wary of - and it has caught me out in the past - are the random 'bank security checks' which bars the contactless chip from being used and requires you to enter your PIN before you can use contactless again. This has caused some embarrassment to myself on several occasions. I usually say to the cashier something like "Oh my card's playing up again! Sorry but I'll have to put everything back I'm afraid."

Living on the line, eh.
Edited by: "preecey" 27th Jan 2016

I thought the max was £30 a day not per transaction! seems silly otherwise.

adhkarzf

I thought the max was £30 a day not per transaction! seems silly … I thought the max was £30 a day not per transaction! seems silly otherwise.

no its per transaction, but the system can detect unusual activity and will prompt for PIN and if not entered contactless will not work until the card is used with the PIN.

I recently lost my Natwest switch card without realising, and 4 days went past before I saw the inevitable small transactions appear on my account, all were via contactless payment. I contacted Natwest to report it and was told that they would cancel the card immediately, and also surprisingly refunded the £92 taken fraudulently without me even asking. I was under the impression that until I notified them of the lost card, I would be responsible for any losses until that point.

I did point out that I thought the culprit was rather brazen in using my local Tesco superstore in order to purchase items, bearing in mind the number of cctv cameras at Tesco, however, I was told that contactless payments are not recorded with the exact time of use, unlike chip & pin, so they were not interested in me reporting it to the police.
Edited by: "Taliban_Army" 27th Jan 2016

Lost my card had the fraud department ringing me saying they have detected unusual activity didn't realise i had lost it but Hsbc was on the ball they cancelled my card and gave me a full refund.

I try not to take my contactless card out with me now I use Apple Pay it requires your finger print so more secure I do think a cap on the amount you can spend daily via contactless would be a good idea maybe the same as the amount you can take out of cash machines

caverncity

I feel the same with regards to someone using my contactless card. I read … I feel the same with regards to someone using my contactless card. I read recently a woman lost her card, she reported it, was told any withdrawals after that is covered but £130 was still taken, not sure if she got it back. also someone close to home as serious money problems stupid bank gave him a new account without doing proper checks and issued a contactless card he now owes them over a £1000 in unauthorized payments as they said even though he didn't have any money in the account the bank had to pay. I am guessing many purchases under £15.

Yes, well why would he spend £1000 if he didn't have it, he can hardly complain when it leads to him owing a £1000 - its simple isnt it?

mc_lines

Lost my card had the fraud department ringing me saying they have … Lost my card had the fraud department ringing me saying they have detected unusual activity didn't realise i had lost it but Hsbc was on the ball they cancelled my card and gave me a full refund. I try not to take my contactless card out with me now I use Apple Pay it requires your finger print so more secure I do think a cap on the amount you can spend daily via contactless would be a good idea maybe the same as the amount you can take out of cash machines

probably is an internal limit which is confidential - amount the bank is willing to write off for fraud whilst maintaining the convenience for the customer?

best thing ever! saves touching them dirty keypads that have more germs than bogs and its done in seconds

your miaaing out ..

ashmac

best thing ever! saves touching them dirty keypads that have more germs … best thing ever! saves touching them dirty keypads that have more germs than bogs and its done in seconds your miaaing out ..

Do you wear gloves when you handle cash? What about when you climb on the bus, sit in a park bench or god forbid even breathe next to someone in the street.
Unless you plan to insert the card reader in your person or lick you fingers after using a key pad, you'll survive.

Oneday77

Do you wear gloves when you handle cash? What about when you climb on the … Do you wear gloves when you handle cash? What about when you climb on the bus, sit in a park bench or god forbid even breathe next to someone in the street.Unless you plan to insert the card reader in your person or lick you fingers after using a key pad, you'll survive.

I never get weird looks when I enter my PIN using my tongue.

Towelie

I never get weird looks when I enter my PIN using my tongue.

Just make sure you never ask if a pen is OK

What is stopping a rogue from using a portable scanner and scanning your card/s when they bump into you or immediately after they steal them?
Edited by: "landros1" 29th Jan 2016

The only reason I got a contactless card was to pay for drinks in the pub oO

I've never lost a card in 30 years of using them so it does not bother me.

Have you never had anything stolen or lost ?

ThePasty

I keep my card in my palm and place my hand on the reader. The older … I keep my card in my palm and place my hand on the reader. The older generation in the queue look bemused as it looks like I've paid just by the power of human touch. (_;)

hahaaaa my hands too small otherwise i'd do that

i prefer contactless so the scabs behind me and behind the counter don't get to look at my pin being punched! anyone tries to knick my card, they will get some jujitsu moves on them

Just ring your bank and request a standard card. They'll post it out within a day or two.

landros1

What is stopping a rogue from using a portable scanner and scanning your … What is stopping a rogue from using a portable scanner and scanning your card/s when they bump into you or immediately after they steal them?

Nothing, hence why i would never have a contactless card. If you have one, then check your statements carefully.

dailymail.co.uk/new…tml

Edited by: "chocci" 30th Jan 2016

RossD89

I have used it and found it very comvenient, however I noticed that my … I have used it and found it very comvenient, however I noticed that my transactions didn't show on my online statement until a few days later, unlike chip and pin which appear instantly, so I stopped using it.

That's because the transaction is completed "offline" I.e the card is making the decision to authorise the transaction rather than checking the balance with your bank. This will happen on both debit and credit cards, no easy way to determine which will be offline or online as it depends on the banks risk parameter on each card + the floor limits of the merchant and acquirers.

landros1

What is stopping a rogue from using a portable scanner and scanning your … What is stopping a rogue from using a portable scanner and scanning your card/s when they bump into you or immediately after they steal them?

What do you hope to achieve with this?
So you have a PAN and and expiry date, you save this to you PCs, then what? How do you magically turn these 2 bits of data into cash in your bank. You can't, only way possible is to spend millions becomeIng an acquirer and you would then very quickly be shut down.

paul1005

What do you hope to achieve with this?So you have a PAN and and expiry … What do you hope to achieve with this?So you have a PAN and and expiry date, you save this to you PCs, then what? How do you magically turn these 2 bits of data into cash in your bank. You can't, only way possible is to spend millions becomeIng an acquirer and you would then very quickly be shut down.

Which researchers tested ten cards – six debit and four credit – and found all of them had the security flaw.

‘Using a reader and free software to decode data, we were able to read the card number and expiry date from all ten,’ Which? reported.

‘Some cards revealed certain details of the last ten transactions, but no cards revealed the CVV security code – the number on the back.

'We doubted we’d be able to make purchases without the cardholder’s name or CVV code, but we were wrong.

‘We ordered two items – one a £3,000 TV – from a mainstream online shop using “stolen” card details, combined with a false name and address.

chocci

Which researchers tested ten cards – six debit and four credit – and fou … Which researchers tested ten cards – six debit and four credit – and found all of them had the security flaw.‘Using a reader and free software to decode data, we were able to read the card number and expiry date from all ten,’ Which? reported.‘Some cards revealed certain details of the last ten transactions, but no cards revealed the CVV security code – the number on the back. 'We doubted we’d be able to make purchases without the cardholder’s name or CVV code, but we were wrong.‘We ordered two items – one a £3,000 TV – from a mainstream online shop using “stolen” card details, combined with a false name and address.

But this would involve a fake card reader. If you are going this far (rather than just buying card details) you may as well just rip the chip info off a chip and pin transaction. If its the top load chip and pin (like Shell ones) getting the CVV is easy too.

At the end of the day they can both be ripped off. The good thing about contactless is the card never leaves my hand so statistically is less likely to be lost.

GAVINLEWISHUKD

But this would involve a fake card reader. If you are going this far … But this would involve a fake card reader. If you are going this far (rather than just buying card details) you may as well just rip the chip info off a chip and pin transaction. If its the top load chip and pin (like Shell ones) getting the CVV is easy too.At the end of the day they can both be ripped off. The good thing about contactless is the card never leaves my hand so statistically is less likely to be lost.

We are talking about contactless so just need a scanner that uses NFC so they can even scan your card when its in your pocket.

chocci

We are talking about contactless so just need a scanner that uses NFC so … We are talking about contactless so just need a scanner that uses NFC so they can even scan your card when its in your pocket.

When is that going to happen? Well just tried it with phone (Nexus) and through wallet it won't read card at all. Won't work through my jeans pocket either. Did work through a pair of suit trousers after several attempts getting it lined up.

I just can't see that happening in the real world. Peak time on the underground is the only situation where I could see any tiny chance of this happening. As I keep mine in my wallet the chance must be zero. More chance of them taking my wallet out my pocket.

chocci

'We doubted we’d be able to make purchases without the cardholder’s name o … 'We doubted we’d be able to make purchases without the cardholder’s name or CVV code, but we were wrong.‘We ordered two items – one a £3,000 TV – from a mainstream online shop using “stolen” card details, combined with a false name and address.[/i]

Which is a clear and serious flaw in the merchants security. But instead of naming and shaming the websites involved, they would rather try and get more readers sensationalising a non story.

GAVINLEWISHUKD

When is that going to happen? Well just tried it with phone (Nexus) and … When is that going to happen? Well just tried it with phone (Nexus) and through wallet it won't read card at all. Won't work through my jeans pocket either. Did work through a pair of suit trousers after several attempts getting it lined up.I just can't see that happening in the real world. Peak time on the underground is the only situation where I could see any tiny chance of this happening. As I keep mine in my wallet the chance must be zero. More chance of them taking my wallet out my pocket.

I would assume the scanners will be stronger than the nfc on your phone. after all, you can use contactless with the card still in your wallet.

chocci

I would assume the scanners will be stronger than the nfc on your phone. … I would assume the scanners will be stronger than the nfc on your phone. after all, you can use contactless with the card still in your wallet.

I suppose they could have a larger unit in a record style bag. Just seems a lot of effort to go to and quite risky for one lot of card details when you can get card details on the net so cheaply.

I still think contactless has more of a benefit as the card is out of your possession less.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions