ORANGE HOME BROADBAND USERS - CHECK THAT YOUR E-MAILS ARRIVE AT THEIR DESTINATION!! See post 4.

My father is having problems with his e-mails. Over the last few weeks he has noticed that several haven't been arriving at their destinations. I've sent a load of test e-mails from his e-mail address to a few of my e-mail addresses. Around 80-90% of them arrive at their destination, but some don't. Even days later there are still several that have just disappeared!

So if you have Orange Home Broadband would you be able to send some test e-mails from Windows Live e-mail using an Orange SMTP server particularly to a hotmail address as that would appear to be where most of the missing ones end up (or don't as the case may be!).

Thanksyou.

8 Comments

Original Poster

Anyone able to help? Would only take a minute.

Thanks.

Banned

i have orange broadband, what you want me to do

Windows Live e-mail using an Orange SMTP server

errrrmmm in laymans terms - lol

Original Poster

sassie;8786732

i have orange broadband, what you want me to doWindows Live e-mail using … i have orange broadband, what you want me to doWindows Live e-mail using an Orange SMTP servererrrrmmm in laymans terms - lol

Hi mate.

Thankyou for the offer, I've done a bit more research this morning and have found lots of users with the same problem. Basically there are lots of users (could be everyone affected, could just be a handful, I don't know) who are sending their e-mails using Windows Live Mail (or similar) and the Orange SMTP server (default unless you pay for an alternative provider) and some of their e-mails never arrive at the destination. Around 20% seems to go missing so far from my tests.

A big problem seems to be e-mails being sent to Hotmail, of course unless people are checking that 100% of their e-mails arrive then they'll never see the problem!!

I've sent an e-mail to the CEO so I'll see how I get on, but people have been reporting this issue for around 4 years by the looks of things so I doubt it'll ever get fixed.

Other problem is that people who encounter the problem find a workaround (use hotmail, gmail, yahoo etc) rather than forcing Orange to fix the issue.

Orange have a major problem with this, I use Googlemail and I have been unable to send e-mails to my home e-mail address or my fathers address both of which are Freeserve addresses. They are permanently undeliverable, it never even gets as far as their overly aggressive spam filter. This has been going on for years!

Original Poster

pugw$sh;8787469

Orange have a major problem with this, I use Googlemail and I have been … Orange have a major problem with this, I use Googlemail and I have been unable to send e-mails to my home e-mail address or my fathers address both of which are Freeserve addresses. They are permanently undeliverable, it never even gets as far as their overly aggressive spam filter. This has been going on for years!

Thanks, I thought I was alone for a while but looking around loads of people have this issue.

I hate the way that they'll get away with it forever. People who are savvy enough to see the problem will get themselves an alternative. Something I don't think my father will want to do. He has all his e-mails going back around 10 years in Windows Live Mail and he won't want to change his e-mail address or use webmail. I'll have to talk him into that or change ISP, shame as he got quite a good deal. Free calls on a 2nd line (over internet), something like £17 a month for all broadband, line rental etc. 8Mb unlimited service.

Any thoughts on way round it? Can you pay for an SMTP server? I see there's a program for running your own on your computer for free, does that work?

Orange = Lemon.;-)

Original Poster

Inactive;8787686

Orange = Lemon.;-)

You can say that again!

Price was good though, now stuck in contract. Awaiting contact from Orange, probably for them just to say that I need to reformat my pc or something!!

Original Poster

Well, I think I've managed to come up with a decent work around.

I'm now using the Googlemail SMTP server (free rather than having to pay someone else for it). This allows me to send e-mail bypassing Orange's server. It would appear that you can't use any port 25 SMTP servers as Orange only allow their own. Googlemail use port 465.

There's a bunch of other cool stuff too.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764060
    2. Pink Balls511
    3. PS4 Beta Software Version 569
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846105

See more discussions