Ordered one laptop receiving 2

Found 31st Jul 2011
Ordered a laptop on the 20th with the help of a dell customer support on live chat and it all went through fine laptop ordered.
As it was going through the payment process the next day i looked at what specs the laptop were that the support guy had put down for my order and noticed a few of the parts of the laptop were missing that i wanted and instead there was a 15 month Mcafee subscription costing roughly the same as both the parts i ordered in their place.
So I emailed the guy who had been dealing with me and asked him if it was too late to have the order changed to include the bits i wanted and to remove Mcafee, he replied saying I had emailed at the right time as no payments had been taken and so he would have it rectified and that was the end of it.

On Friday (29th) I received an email from Dell saying that my laptop had been shipped and i should expect delivery on Monday (1st), Yesterday i got a knock from a neighbour saying that they had signed for a package for me and it was the laptop, I thought great they had delivered it early so I set it all up and installed a few things on it had a play around with it all was fine.

earlier today i looked at the order number on the invoice and it wasnt the order number for my laptop, the address and name was mine but the order number was different, checked my recent order history on dell and it is showing as my order number for the 1st laptop that was ordered in error, checked the ups tracking website and it is showing as my order is in Dubai en route from China.

My question is will they try and get me to pay a percentage for the laptop i have been using thinking it was the one i had ordered? as it is now no longer new and so they will be unable to sell it on as new.

If it was the same specs as the one I had paid for then i would have refused delivery tomorrow but it isnt and so i just want to know if Dell will have any leg to stand on in trying to get me to make part payment for the now used laptop.

I have emailed the customer support guy who was dealing with my order and so wait for his reply, but want to get a bit of piece of mind from anyone who might know here.

Cheers for any help
Peter

(inb4 tl:dr / coolstory bro :p)
Community Updates
MiscDellLaptop
18 Comments
Hi, check they havnt charged you twice
daindian

Hi, check they havnt charged you twice

Have only been charged for the one, that was the first thing I checked after seeing the other order was in Dubai haha
dcx_badass

Should have not told them, boxed it up waited 6 months and if you'd heard … Should have not told them, boxed it up waited 6 months and if you'd heard nothing then start using it.

is that the law is it? does it state i dont have to have informed them of their mistake within that 6months?
deleted265520
Peterdj41

is that the law is it? does it state i dont have to have informed them of … is that the law is it? does it state i dont have to have informed them of their mistake within that 6months?

No. Just common sense.

Legally you should return it.
dtovey89

No. Just common sense.Legally you should return it.

lol common sense, surely for him to say 6 months there must be some law behind it or what is stopping dell coming back to me in 7 months asking for it
dcx_badass

There is actually some proper rule afaik. You could have charged them … There is actually some proper rule afaik. You could have charged them storage aswell.I said 6 months because it's a nice round number and unlikely they will come after that long. Even if you use it they can't charge you for using it, only ask for it back.

ill give magicjay a pm see if he knows anything. so long as they dont try charge me for using it thats fine by me
Dear me OP, why did you tell them? Should have waited to see if they realised.

Tut,tut.
If you haven't paid for it and they are aware of it they are legally entitled to it back or invoice you for it. However, it is at their cost that they collect it and / or cover the costs involved of you having to be around when they want to collect it, that is if they want to collect when you are not normally around.

So in short no you can't keep it.
simplyjimbo

If you haven't paid for it and they are aware of it they are legally … If you haven't paid for it and they are aware of it they are legally entitled to it back or invoice you for it. However, it is at their cost that they collect it and / or cover the costs involved of you having to be around when they want to collect it, that is if they want to collect when you are not normally around.So in short no you can't keep it.

i never asked if i could keep it but thanks for the info
If the laptop is the same spec etc as the one you ordered they may just get you to return the unopened one. Then again they may just take the hit on the opened one to save confusing their systems with the change of serials to your order etc. I guess the answer will come in the reply from them
i'd tell them that you are charging a fee of £50 per day that it is being stored at your house..
simplyjimbo

If the laptop is the same spec etc as the one you ordered they may just … If the laptop is the same spec etc as the one you ordered they may just get you to return the unopened one. Then again they may just take the hit on the opened one to save confusing their systems with the change of serials to your order etc. I guess the answer will come in the reply from them

nah they are different spec thats why the first was cancelled, ive just had a delivery report notification of a failed email seems i entered the email address wrong... now to re-email them or leave it as suggested here
leave it free laptop if they ask about it you tell them lol if not you know nothing lol
i got sent sent 6 yes SIX ipods off apple each one had my engraving on them instead of one,they all come individually aswell

only got charged for one.....i wont say what happened to the other 5
schoolboy error
Just let us know what happened when it is all sorted
beso

i got sent sent 6 yes SIX ipods off apple each one had my engraving on … i got sent sent 6 yes SIX ipods off apple each one had my engraving on them instead of one,they all come individually aswell only got charged for one.....i wont say what happened to the other 5

did they come back to you about it? how long ago was i when you had them?
Well, did you get to keep the laptop?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants