Ordering mobile phones from ebay

Found 9th Jan
Has anyone ever ordered a mobile phone from ebay?

i am thinking of buying Galaxy Note 8. On Amazon, cheapest is £770, in retails shops, it is around £870. But on ebay, you can find new ones for £600. Seller feedback is good (99.3% positive from 1200 feedback, and complains are very normal).

whats the catch?
Community Updates
AskMobilePhones
11 Comments
Probably best to put a link to the eBay listing, so that we can have a look for you and make definite comments rather than just surmising about a seller.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 9th Jan
I’ve bought many phones from eBay and have never had a problem. It obviously depends on the seller but I believe some possibly get them cheaper from other countries and just add the UK adapter.
Would need to check the brand and there warranty ring up samsung and asked if you bought a phone would it be covered under 2 year warranty if you do not have receipt, if it is no, then do not do it, sony for example have 2 years without receipt, in the setting it has warranty section, very good system, but if your paying 700£ you want atleast a year warranty, you can sign up for insurance but these normally want proof of purchase too
Original Poster
Toptrumpet1 h, 19 m ago

Probably best to put a link to the eBay listing, so that we can have a …Probably best to put a link to the eBay listing, so that we can have a look for you and make definite comments rather than just surmising about a seller.

well it is a general question.. but here is the phone in question: ebay.co.uk/itm…3A1
Original Poster
you are right about the warrenty, in the listing, there is:

one year warranty

We provide one year SELLER warranty ( no manufacturer warranty).
fileexit12 m ago

you are right about the warrenty, in the listing, there is:one year …you are right about the warrenty, in the listing, there is:one year warrantyWe provide one year SELLER warranty ( no manufacturer warranty).

What happens if the 'SELLER' says no or is no longer a member of Ebay, I wouldn't risk it. After 90 days Paypal wont be interested and I'm not sure if you're covered through section 78 if paid on a credit card through Paypal?
fileexit1 h, 13 m ago

you are right about the warrenty, in the listing, there is:one year …you are right about the warrenty, in the listing, there is:one year warrantyWe provide one year SELLER warranty ( no manufacturer warranty).

I would not risk it, and this can get hit my import tax, if there shipping from ireland or elsewhere, that could be 120£, more like 70£ probs if was caught, and if not pretty sure you won't be able to get insurance with a third party, so your be stuck with hoping they would help you but as someone else said warrantys on ebay are only meaningful if its warranty with a uk company as they are running on uk law and have to abide by warrant claims
whelan18912 m ago

I would not risk it, and this can get hit my import tax, if there shipping …I would not risk it, and this can get hit my import tax, if there shipping from ireland or elsewhere, that could be 120£, more like 70£ probs if was caught, and if not pretty sure you won't be able to get insurance with a third party, so your be stuck with hoping they would help you but as someone else said warrantys on ebay are only meaningful if its warranty with a uk company as they are running on uk law and have to abide by warrant claims

If they were shipping from Ireland no import tax... Ireland is in the EU (excited). At least for now the UK is still in the EU.
Edited by: "hearts22" 9th Jan
the ebay seller is based in Singapore
Also seller is not shown as UK VAT registered. Which is another red flag for import duties.
would I spend £600 on this listing ...... NO
The cheap Samsung phones on eBay will be non-EU models that were originally intended for sale in the far east. A friend ordered the latest galaxy S model years ago from huge UK based seller on ebay. 11 months later, the speaker on the phone developed a fault. The seller fobbed him off with an excuse that the warranty was only 30 days and Samsung refused to service it because it was a non-EU model that was intended for sale in Nepal. Friend eventually got his money back after charging back the transaction via his own bank but it was a nightmare nonetheless.

Also there is a little known scam where private sellers get a new/sealed phone as part of a contract or upgrade and sell it on eBay for a hefty discount. Usually what will happen is they default on their bill or report the phone lost or stolen (your phone will get blacklisted) and get a new phone from the provider and you will be left with an expensive brick.

Not everything on ebay is a scam but if an offer is too good to be true, I usually avoid.
Edited by: "thenormalone" 10th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants