Groups

Orthodonist costs?

My daughter has been told she needs a brace on her top teeth, and on one side her teeth are not straight. It is not bad enough apparently to qualify for nhs treatment as she does not have clincial need. It will take 6 - 9 months.
    We have been quoted £500 for a removeable brace and £2000 for Invisalign.
    This seems an awful lot to me.
    Does anyone know if these amounts seem okay?

13 Comments

booooo

i got mine through the NHS wheni wa a kid - front two were crossed at 45degrees.. had braces on for almost 3 years.. both removeable and "train tracks" well worth the pain in the end though .. also the cost should you have to pay !

i am a adult but was quoted just under £2000 but my treatment it would take 2 years and i would need a retainer for life to keep my teeth in place
    does your daughter realy need this now, its just as a child i had a fixed brace endured the pain it was removed and my teeth moved as i got older and i dont think it was worth it at all

whatsThePoint;8637085

punch her in the mouth, she'll soon qualify :thumbsup:

L:whistling:L

Original Poster

whatsThePoint;8637085

She'd probably punch me back - she's bigger than me!

I guess we''ll pay because she's conscious of the gap on one side.
    I just didn't know how much these things cost, I suppose it will be worth it eventually.

i payed £1500.00 for mine about three years ago best thing ive ever bought

I can't understand why you're being charged if she needs a brace. Were you referred to the orthodontist by a NHS dentist?

Original Poster

Susannah;8638070

I can't understand why you're being charged if she needs a brace. Were … I can't understand why you're being charged if she needs a brace. Were you referred to the orthodontist by a NHS dentist?

Yes we were. But we have been told her need is grade 2 which is not bad enough to qualify for nhs treatment.

That's awful - can't believe they won't do it through the NHS. My daughter is going through the same treatment, removable retainer just now then moving on to the train tracks as she has too many teeth and it made them squint. The orthodontist said it would cost the NHS around £2500 for treatment on the NHS and stressed that she had to continue with it as it was a lot of money - so the prices you have been quoted seem right. Just think its bad that you're having to pay for it though.

Banned

I've been offered free treatment to fix my bite, only got bite on one tooth. They wanted to break my jaw, pull a tooth out then give me braces for 2 years. I kindly declined but asked if I could change my mind in a couple of years, to which they said I could. If I get this job I've been wishing for my whole life I might go back to them and get my teeth sorted. Being 27 I might get the michael taken out of me though :oops: For future reference though my top teeth look great, its just my bottom teeth but you can't see them even when I smile.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Looks like the quotes are about right.
    Going to pay up and in my next life come back as a dentist or orthodontist.

whatsThePoint;8637085

haha....i seriously lold!!

OP my hubby charges 3-4 grand for clearstep which is on a par with invasalign. so ur defo getting a good deal there.

( i say he charges that...he hasnt done one yet, hes a dentist trying to get into orthodontics and thats the going rate if he was to do it!)

£3000 is normally the cost for top and bottom around here, so £2000 for one makes sense, you could ask to go £250 cheaper maybe? No harm in trying. Unfortunately the NHS have brought in silly rules and regulations for braces which is quite sad, seeing as they Orthodontist knows that in the future it could get worse but because when the examination is done when it falls outside the criteria they are unable to do anything. =\

[COLOR=purple]we are going through exactly the same..[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=purple]my daughter got referred to an orthadontist, they said she was on borderline, nothing they could do except pay £2000[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=purple]we have now got a second opinion from another orthodontist, he says my daughters teeth are out of the nhs guidelines by half a milimetre!![/COLOR]
    [COLOR=purple]he has sent off moulds to the PCT, but we have had no luck..[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=purple]looks like we will have to find £2000 from somewhere, maybe sell my car,..[/COLOR]

[COLOR=purple]why should't my daughter have perfect teeth, like every other teenager that has it done for free![/COLOR]
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Need help with home Internet dropping out please22
      2. Anyone got a spare Argos 10% code from the Xbox Minecraft mistake?56
      3. Should I buy brand new wd drive without warranty on ebay78
      4. Jury service69

See more discussions