Groups
    EXPIRED

other options to NORTON INTERNET SECURITY

Hi i have nortons internet security which is due for renewal at £40 :x i was wondering if i could get some help on which free stuff i can download instead

as im not sure what i need a list of helpfull software would be more than appreciated

thanks everyone in advance

mark

23 Comments

If free Avast and AVG etc are best, if pay use NOD32 or PCCillin

Hi, I stopped using norton a year or so ago and find avast much better as an anti virus programme, also try zone alarm for a firewall, both free, just click on the links.
    Hope that helps:thumbsup:
    avast.com/eng…tml
    zonealarm.com/sto…jsp

Problem with Zonealarm, though a good free one, is that hackers can easily get into it and disable it, happened to me loads of times.

Original Poster

so is there a better FIREWALL out there then so they cant turn it off??

bit worrying that :-(

ryouga

Problem with Zonealarm, though a good free one, is that hackers can … Problem with Zonealarm, though a good free one, is that hackers can easily get into it and disable it, happened to me loads of times.

that would more likely be something you have done to let them in not down to zone alarm.

AVG is a nice free anti virus, updates alot though which is ok unles your on dial up (apparently some people still are :O )

Nope its a common problem with Zonealarm, its fine for most people though do a google search on it, trust me I have been using Pc's for 20 years, back in the old windows 2.6 odd days lol, I know about PC's

ryouga

Problem with Zonealarm, though a good free one, is that … Problem with Zonealarm, though a good free one, is that [COLOR=red][COLOR=black]hackers can easily get into it and disable it[/COLOR], happened to me loads of times[/COLOR].

ryouga

Nope its a common problem with Zonealarm, its fine for most people though … Nope its a common problem with Zonealarm, its fine for most people though do a google search on it, trust me I have been using Pc's for 20 years, back in the old windows 2.6 odd days lol, [COLOR=red]I know about PC's[/COLOR]

didnt learn the first time then ? ?

never heard of any isues with zone alarm. not to say it couldnt be bypased though, but the people that "could" do it dont normaly bother.

worms, viruses etc could effect it but again thats down to the user not the firewall.

Another free firewall is Comodo (do a Google search), which I have been using for a while with no problems.

Adaware is free, and good for finding spam/adware, I use AVG anti-virus, and they also do a free spam/adware checker.

Have a look here, computeractive.co.uk/dow…ds/
    scroll down on the left of the page

AVG Antivirus
    Spybot
    Ad-Aware

all free and run great together...

paul767

Another free firewall is Comodo (do a Google search), which I have been … Another free firewall is Comodo (do a Google search), which I have been using for a while with no problems.Adaware is free, and good for finding spam/adware, I use AVG anti-virus, and they also do a free spam/adware checker.

Agreed :thumbsup:

For the last time no no no! lol, and more no, I kept wondering why it kept shutting down, then I did a google search to find hackers found a backdoor to it.

As for viruses I have had 1 in 2 years, which came from a exe I downloaded and it was my flatmate who opened it by accident.

Please dont insult my intelligence by saying otherwise.

Lol that sounded strange but Im taking it lightheartedly

buy an oem version of norton from [url]www.ebuyer.com[/url] its about £10 i think

[url]www.kaspersky.com[/url]

Another vote for Kaspersky here, and both AVG and NOD32 are very good as well.

Ain't nothing wrong with Zone Alarm if you keep it updated, it's harder to get around than most pay for alternatives. Search for some online reviews, it consistently out performs Norton et al. Comodo's also supposed to be good but I've never used that myself. However you need to bear in mind that no software firewall is all that secure, you should have a hardware firewall in your router/modem and a software firewall on your machine to give a hacker anything approaching a challenge.

Anti-Virus wise personally I prefer AVG to Avast as it doesn't eat as many system resources, but both perform equally well compared to the big boys on detection rates in the wild (most of what Norton etc. claim to detect are in the lab only and not in the real world). But the best form of defence against Viruses is not to open/run anything you don't trust 100% and make sure your email client doesn't automatically run things is shouldn't (so use Mozilla Thunderbird instead of Outlook/Outlook Express for example as it's a much more secure email client).

If you are really serious about security however you should be using Linux.

I'd say go for Zonealarm Internet security suite, Its a better Firewall and The anti-virus is built in Kaspersky (If that makes sense)

The Spyware search etc is also very good.

You may find it worth looking at Consumer Search's review of various ]Internet Security packages.

They also look at each part separately too. We used to use Norton a few years back then moved to Zone Alarm Suite but am looking at Comodo Firewall/AOL Antivirus with a smattering of antispyware. If you use free security software for a year, you could probably use the money you save to get a router to give you some extra protection.

Mind you, our Zone Alarm Suite seems to think it has about 9 years worth of updates paid for after it seemingly got confused after our last update.

If you do want to pay, Amazon.co.uk often do 50% off Internet Security Software if you pick the right time.

Mattitude

What works perfectly well for me (so I would recommend them to you) is … What works perfectly well for me (so I would recommend them to you) is the combination of:AVG Free (Antivirus)COMODO Firewall Pro (It says Pro, but they offer it for free anyway)Spybot Search & DestroyAd-Aware SE Personal

Excellent combo, just add ]spyware blaster to that (it stops spyware getting into pc) and thats a top security suite.

My personal fave is ]a-squared free for hunting down nasties! :thumbsup:

Vowo

Excellent combo, just add ]spyware blaster to that (it stops spyware … Excellent combo, just add ]spyware blaster to that (it stops spyware getting into pc) and thats a top security suite.My personal fave is ]a-squared free for hunting down nasties! :thumbsup:

Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware should, combined, get rid of all the spyware too anyway (and it does).

Mattitude

Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware should, combined, get rid of all the spyware too … Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware should, combined, get rid of all the spyware too anyway (and it does).

Indeed, but having spyware blaster too (which just sits there, doesnt scan and filters) only helps matters.

Original Poster

Id just like to give a BIG THANKYOU to everyone that helped me out on this topic

you can all give yourselves a pat on the back

excellent 10/10
    :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944494
      2. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…44
      3. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!1417
      4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***519

See more discussions