Found 20th Jan 2011
Hi ive just looked at my driving licence and it says it expires in march 2011, what does this mean???? im only 25 so surley they cant want me to take test again already?
Can anybody tell me what i need to do?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
40 Comments

Banned

You just need to update your licence with an upto date picture

if you mean photo card then you probably need to renew due to the photo being out of date.

its the photo part of the licence that expires so you need to update that bit afaik

Perhaps you never told the DLVA you had passed your test and had the licence reissued?

oO

Original Poster

ok thanks, do i need the paper part to do it as have no idea where it is?

Original Poster

DEALWARRIOR

Perhaps you never told the DLVA you had passed your test and had the … Perhaps you never told the DLVA you had passed your test and had the licence reissued?oO

Its the pink licence so they know its a full licence not a provisional as there green arnt they?

DEALWARRIOR

Perhaps you never told the DLVA you had passed your test and had the … Perhaps you never told the DLVA you had passed your test and had the licence reissued?oO

that smiley looks like the pic on your avatar! oO

The photo card only lasts for 10 years

If its expired then that will be a nice fat £20.00 fee you'll be giving the DVLA then I think it happens every 10 years.

Info link

Charlie Scene

that smiley looks like the pic on your avatar! oO

+1 lol

linky

just click this link for details of what to do

Banned

I wonder how many people don't bother paying the fee or updating the card.

Did you apply for your provisional on your 16th birthday?

DLM

I wonder how many people don't bother paying the fee or updating the card.

^----- this. Is it essential to have the up to date photocard? Do you get notification of when it expires, or are you just meant to know?

I've read that link now, they do notify you, and it is illegal. Pants that's another tax to pay. Definitely going to try giving up the car in a few years.

Edit: not technically illegal, but there's a 'failing to update your license' thing with a max £1000 if it goes to court. You're still insured etc.
Edited by: "FrootCake" 20th Jan 2011

Banned

FrootCake

^----- this. Is it essential to have the up to date photocard? Do you get … ^----- this. Is it essential to have the up to date photocard? Do you get notification of when it expires, or are you just meant to know?

They send you 1 letter with a stamp on.

Mine got lost (_;)

I never got a reminder but a friend warned me of the hefty and i just checked it by chance!!

Banned

another labour stealth tax!

I have just renew mine, £20 & u need to send a new photo & both parts of the licence, then its last for another 10 years

you should get a letter and application form very soon, I got mine about 2 months before it was due to expire.

there is a box to tick if you've lost one part of your licence though, not the end of the world if you don't have it

you will die on that day.cuz dvla knows that

It is important that you update the photo, if you live at another address than your driving license, they will update it for free if you renew the address and send in a new photograph at the same time. If you were to have an accident while driving with an expired photocard licence, the insurance company could not pay out, it all depends what company it is, even though you have not lost your right to drive, your licence needs to be current and in date.

It is best to renew it. You have to send in the counterpart and old licence when you do this, they will send you a new one in the post.

wait, if it takes 10 years to expire and your 25...then you drove at 15??

dinkii

wait, if it takes 10 years to expire and your 25...then you drove at 15??

Could be 26 next month or march. You can drive at 16 if in receipt of DLA

Banned

What happens if you don't get it updated?

DLM

Nothing, unless you get caught. Then you can be charged with the offence of failing to renew their licence, with a maximum fine of £1000 if it goes to court. However, you are still egally allowed to drive, as the paper licence is valid, it's just the photo that's out of date, so I imagine you'd have to come across a copper on a VERY bad day to enforce this thoroughly. You are still insured in the event of needing to claim. Your licence has by no means expired, just the photo ID part of it. Driving beyond the validity of the paper licence though (expires when you're 70 for example), that's down right illegal, and is classed as driving without a valid licence.

Banned

FrootCake

Nothing, unless you get caught. Then you can be charged with the offence … Nothing, unless you get caught. Then you can be charged with the offence of failing to renew their licence, with a maximum fine of £1000 if it goes to court. However, you are still egally allowed to drive, as the paper licence is valid, it's just the photo that's out of date, so I imagine you'd have to come across a copper on a VERY bad day to enforce this thoroughly. You are still insured in the event of needing to claim. Your licence has by no means expired, just the photo ID part of it. Driving beyond the validity of the paper licence though (expires when you're 70 for example), that's down right illegal, and is classed as driving without a valid licence.

I won't bother updating the photo then.

I don't drive that often anyway.

check with DVLA.

amirkhan66pk

check with DVLA.

I updated mine online and they can use your passport photo if it's still up to date, so you don't need to send anything in.

Am also in the same boat. Currently the only piece of ID I have which is a real pain in the backside!

On the plus side, I've been told I look about 10 years older than I am so rarely need it... hang on... did i say 'plus side'?

Banned

mikefellows

Am also in the same boat. Currently the only piece of ID I have which is … Am also in the same boat. Currently the only piece of ID I have which is a real pain in the backside!On the plus side, I've been told I look about 10 years older than I am so rarely need it... hang on... did i say 'plus side'?

Get a passport instead better value for money.

DLM

Get a passport instead better value for money.

Yea, I've got one, just need to renew that too! I guess the driving license is the cheaper of the two... and an expired passport won't land me with a £1,000 fine! oO

Original Poster

MunkiMadz

Did you apply for your provisional on your 16th birthday?

Yes just after as i had a moped which i never used!

Banned

csiman

another labour stealth tax!

labour arent in power anymore, in case you hvnt noticed

casparwhite

labour arent in power anymore, in case you hvnt noticed

True, but Labour brought in the stupid photocards in the first place.

Banned

DLM

You'll be driving without a licence

Banned

lumoruk

You'll be driving without a licence

My reminder got lost in the post (_;)

Banned

DLM

My reminder got lost in the post (_;)

fail , they don't send you a reminder X)

Banned

lumoruk

fail , they don't send you a reminder X)

They sent me one and I threw it in the bin
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75856
    2. E: 22/09 (+6) Win £40,000, a BMW X4 and a Gadget Bundle with Good Morning B…88
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
    4. Win free gin for a year99

See more discussions