Out of warranty (v-tech smile)

Banned 49 replies
Found 26th Jun 2008
This item came with a 12 month warranty, was purchased from john lewis 10/06 and used from xmas 06, it now has a problem with turning it on and off, if you can finally get it to come on then you cant get it to turn off without unplugging. As it is out of warranty do i contact v-tech or john lewis? And an i get them to do anything?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
49 Comments

I doubt it. If it was only just out of warranty you might be ok but as it's 8 months I suspect nothing will be done. Best bet is to contact Vtech and come up with a good sob story and play on their heart strings. Good luck!

VTech Electronics Europe Plc
Napier Court
Abingdon Science Park
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
OX14 3YT
Telephone: (01235) 546810

Email: [email protected]

My little girls one started doing the same but its working again now. I would try vtech.

As its so far out of warranty they are unlikely to do anything, but saying that John Lewis customer service is excellent and they used to warranty all electrical items for a min of two years, so it is definitely worth a call. Anything you buy has to be fit for the purpose etc, and should last longer than the warranty but I have found that some companies say tough, prove its our fault then we will do something. Our toaster was 2 weeks out of warranty and Argos told me to get an engineers tech report, and that if that said it was manufacturing fault they would change the toaster, but otherwise go away!!
It will cost you nothing to try John Lewis and then VTech, Good luck

Morning sassie.

My eldest's V.Smile started doing this after a little while. His was about 2 years old at the time, so I never did pursue it with V.Tech (he'd nearly outgrown it by then, so wasn't been used much anyway). It only seemed to happen on the Winnie the Pooh game though???

I'm sure if you get in touch with them they'll sort it for you.

pinkkitty2007;2393859

My little girls one started doing the same but its working again now. I … My little girls one started doing the same but its working again now. I would try vtech.

And another one :-D Sounds like a common problem to me Sassie - I'd def try V Tech, you should be covered under SOG act if that's the case.

find out what your rights are regarding sales of good act ?? try googling it? there is different rules and regs with faulty goods etc

Banned

I have a great letter from the CAB that quotes the Sales of Goods act and expecting something to last a reasonable time regardless of the warrenty.

Always works for me:-D

Try ringing Vtech first, if no joy I will email you the letter.

Sloth/Mod

V.Tech support is excellent. I've had a couple of replacements from them in the past and they never even ask when it was purchased.

Prissymiss;2393882

I have a great letter from the CAB that quotes the Sales of Goods act and … I have a great letter from the CAB that quotes the Sales of Goods act and expecting something to last a reasonable time regardless of the warrenty.Always works for me:-DTry ringing Vtech first, if no joy I will email you the letter.

Worked for me in Currys once with my faulty iPod (and I hate that shop with a passion:x). I can still picture the manager's face when he gave me a full refund for my out of warranty iPod, when only a week or so earlier he basically told me that it was tough luck that it had broken :-D

If you have no joy with them, contact Consumer Direct and let them know that you have heard of other people have the same problem (i.e. me and PK). They'll then get involved if you have no joy directly V.Tech - although I think the responsibility does in fact lie with the retailer in this case.

Original Poster Banned

phoned v-tech and told them what is happening and basically not interested, quoted the sale of goods act which didnt impress, but im expecting a phone call back, wont hold me breath

Original Poster Banned

phone call, they are not interested, they will do nothing, even when i told them i have googled this problem and am now aware this is quite a big problem, they still said they will do nothing

sassie;2394086

phone call, they are not interested, they will do nothing, even when i … phone call, they are not interested, they will do nothing, even when i told them i have googled this problem and am now aware this is quite a big problem, they still said they will do nothing

In that case, try here:

consumerdirect.gov.uk/

Banned

Just e-mailed you the template. Fill it in and send to John Lewis.

I used it and got a tv replaced that was nearly 3 years old and a 360 that was 2 years old.

Worth a try.

Original Poster Banned

should i send by email or by post, also why send to johnlewis when its v-tech that are at fault even more so knowing this is a comoon problem by reading google

Remember your contract is between you and your supplier - the place you bought the thing - not v-tech (unless you bought direct).

The Sale of Goods act 1979 (as amended) says that anything you buy is the subject of a contract between yourself and the seller.

What you buy should be fit for purpose, reasonably durable and as described.

This lasts up to 6 years, although taking it to court etc., you may have to accept a repair not a replacement if a significant time has passed.

It's NOT the manufacturer's warranty. That has nothing to do with it. The conttract is between you and the store.

Go kick some booty

Original Poster Banned

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Faulty V-Tech, V-smile

I purchased the above from you on 22/10/2006 at a cost of £39-95 via credit card

However, the following defects have occurred:-

- For some time now the on and off button has been turning itself off, and now it has to be unplugged and plugged in turn it on and unplugged to turn it on

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) requires all goods supplied to be of satisfactory quality i.e. free from defects. I am therefore requesting that you either repair or replace the goods free of charge, within a reasonable time.

I look forward to hearing from you to make suitable arrangements.

Yours sincerely,

Original Poster Banned

do i need to say any more than the above, not to good on the letter front

Was that the template? Was going to suggest posting the template to help others?

Sassie, John Lewis Customer Support is usually 2nd to none. I would go through them.
Phone or email them and see what they will do.
I wouldn't mention you have contacted VTech....................

Good luck
Tony

sassie;2394361

- For some time now the on and off button has been turning itself off, … - For some time now the on and off button has been turning itself off, and now it has to be unplugged and plugged in turn it on and unplugged to turn it on

That doesn't sound right. :?

Sassie , have a read of this page. VTechs are computers ?? You may just get away with 2 years warranty anyway ??

johnlewis.com/Hel…d=9

Original Poster Banned

SunTzu;2394376

That doesn't sound right. :?

altered to this

- For some time now the on and off button has been turning itself off

- Now it has to be unplugged and plugged in turn it on and unplugged to turn it on

Original Poster Banned

oh year, second to none for john lewis, phoned them and basically got told they wont do a thing, it is over 12 months old and the sale of goods act meant nothing, all she kept banging on about was it was out of the 12 month warranty, what a joke

I dont suppose its even worth spending the money on a stamp, oh well thats £40 down the drain and now he has 10 games worth over £100 he cant play

Banned

sassie;2394229

should i send by email or by post, also why send to johnlewis when its … should i send by email or by post, also why send to johnlewis when its v-tech that are at fault even more so knowing this is a comoon problem by reading google

It should be sent to John Lewis. Add that less than two years is not a reasonable time.

Send it recorded to the Head of Customer Services.

sassie;2394473

oh year, second to none for john lewis, phoned them and basically got … oh year, second to none for john lewis, phoned them and basically got told they wont do a thing, it is over 12 months old and the sale of goods act meant nothing, all she kept banging on about was it was out of the 12 month warranty, what a jokeI dont suppose its even worth spending the money on a stamp, oh well thats £40 down the drain and now he has 10 games worth over £100 he cant play

Surprised at John Lewis, things must have gone down hill.

Sassie is it this one ??

johnlewis.com/230…spx

Banned

Phoning never helps, I tried that with argos and the 360, I even went in there and they called head office and said no. Only when it was put in writing, then they sent me a letter to say that I was to return is to them, I received full vouchers for it and a cheque for the postage.

Prissymiss;2394565

Phoning never helps, I tried that with argos and the 360, I even went in … Phoning never helps, I tried that with argos and the 360, I even went in there and they called head office and said no. Only when it was put in writing, then they sent me a letter to say that I was to return is to them, I received full vouchers for it and a cheque for the postage.

Would always agree with you but in the past JLP have been better than that, obviously not now !!

Prissymiss;2394548

It should be sent to John Lewis. Add that less than two years is not a … It should be sent to John Lewis. Add that less than two years is not a reasonable time.Send it recorded to the Head of Customer Services.

And also send a copy to your local trading standards office (and make JL aware that you've done so).

Banned

midlandscomics;2394589

And also send a copy to your local trading standards office (and make JL … And also send a copy to your local trading standards office (and make JL aware that you've done so).

There is a bit on their to quote the referenceof when you spoke to them. I used the same one three times:oops:

Original Poster Banned

not doing to well on this letter thing - lol

Dear Sir/Madam

I purchased the above from you on 22/10/2006 at a cost of £39-95 via credit card

- Now it has to be unplugged and plugged in turn it on and unplugged to turn it on

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) requires all goods supplied to be of satisfactory quality i.e. free from defects. I do not class under two years as a reasonable amount of time.

I am therefore requesting that you either repair or replace the goods free of charge, within a reasonable time.

Banned

Thats fine:thumbsup:

Banned

add CC. Consumer Direct Advisor
Consumer Direct London

Original Poster Banned

Prissymiss;2394696

add CC. Consumer Direct AdvisorConsumer Direct London

sorry, add to where?

Banned

sassie;2394756

sorry, add to where?

Add it under the Re:

BOLD CAPITALS AND UNDERLINE

Original Poster Banned

Dear Sir/Madam

CC. Consumer Direct Advisor
Consumer Direct London

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) requires all goods supplied to be of satisfactory quality i.e. free from defects. I do not class under two years as a reasonable amount of time.

I am therefore requesting that you either repair or replace the goods free of charge, within a reasonable time.

Yours sincerely,

Original Poster Banned

like that

Banned

sassie;2394783

Dear Sir/MadamRe: Faulty V-Tech, V-smileCC. Consumer Direct Advisor, … Dear Sir/MadamRe: Faulty V-Tech, V-smileCC. Consumer Direct Advisor, Consumer Direct London. CDL Ref: 48756I purchased the above from you on 22/10/2006 at a cost of £39-95 via credit cardHowever, the following defects have occurred:-- For some time now the on and off button has been turning itself off- Now it has to be unplugged and plugged in turn it on and unplugged to turn it onThe Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) requires all goods supplied to be of satisfactory quality i.e. free from defects. I do not class under two years as a reasonable amount of time.I am therefore requesting that you either repair or replace the goods free of charge, within a reasonable time.I look forward to hearing from you to make suitable arrangements. Yours sincerely,

Banned

you could add

CDL Ref: 375643

(make one up)

See previous post again

Not to be pedantic, shouldn't it be

Now it has to be unplugged and plugged in to turn it on and unplugged to turn it off

Banned

greg_68;2394810

Not to be pedantic, shouldn't it beNow it has to be unplugged and plugged … Not to be pedantic, shouldn't it beNow it has to be unplugged and plugged in to turn it on and unplugged to turn it off

You are unaware of the complexities of the V-Smile;-)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best 4k tv's for gaming11
    2. Christmas presents510
    3. Mobile phone advice33
    4. Anyone know of any budget laptops which charge through USB-C?55

See more discussions