Groups

Outlook 2007 - How to disable Data File Check when computer crashes?

Just been speaking to my mate and he's got snags with his laptop every now and again it crashes and when it does it takes him 20 mins or so before he can get online again as Outlook states it is checking his data file for errors. Is there a way to disable this test as its doing his head in??

Thanks for any help ;-)

13 Comments

Banned

hukd feedback?

Original Poster

csiman;6226902

hukd feedback?

Is that what the feedback is about just HUKD, sorry i though it was for feedback about anything :oops: So this should go in Misc then :thinking: How do i put it in the correct forum?

I did this wrong the other day as well where does it state what forums for what, sorry csiman for keeping you busy ;-)

Banned

anyway, probably takes a long time as lots of emails in the .PST file

make sure the checkbox is on to DELETE deleted items when exiting

do an archive of old emails

delete the old SENT items

and break stored emails into relevant folders as this apparently speeds outlook up no end. Doesnt like lots of emails in one folder.

e.g.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk173/csiman2/ScreenShot051-1.jpg

also,
    Scan the PST for errors

You need to run 'scanpst.exe' in the Office installation folder and scan your Data files with it. Detailed steps given here:

reddevnews.com/col…791

Surely the problem is to sort out why it crashes. If he does that he wont get his Outlook problem any more.

That crashing is far more serious, as one day it may crash and he finds he cant get it going again (maybe the hard disk is on the way out)

Original Poster

csiman;6226935

anyway, probably takes a long time as lots of emails in the PST … anyway, probably takes a long time as lots of emails in the PST foldermake sure the checkbox is on to DELETE deleted items when exitingdo an archive of old emailsdelete the old SENT items

Thanks will let him know :thumbsup:

Original Poster

guilbert53;6226943

Surely the problem is to sort out why it crashes. If he does that he wont … Surely the problem is to sort out why it crashes. If he does that he wont get his Outlook problem any more.That crashing is far more serious, as one day it may crash and he finds he cant get it going again (maybe the hard disk is on the way out)

Told him the exact same thing

Banned

the last bit above is the most important as he must have errors in his outlook data file (outlook.pst)

so scan and repair (just did mine and it had 41 errors which might explain why my outlook has been crashing lately lol)

normally find the file outlook.pst in vista under

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

took 30 secs to scan and repair it for me just now

Original Poster

csiman;6227002
    the last bit above is the most important as he must have errors in his outlook data file (outlook.pst)

so scan and repair (just did mine and it had 41 errors which might explain why my outlook has been crashing lately lol)

normally find the file outlook.pst in vista under

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

took 30 secs to scan and repair it for me just now

Thanks for that will inform him now. Rep'd :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Can you give me the link again as

reddevnews.com/col…791

Says article not found?

Banned

steevieboy4u;6227025

Can you give me the link again as … Can you give me the link again as http://reddevnews.com/columns/article.aspx?editorialsid=1791Says article not found?

dont need link

just run scanpst.exe in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12

and then browse to the folder in my earlier post to find OUTLOOK.PST file, then scan & repair it

also, install this brilliant free system cleaner to try find the windows errors and it will fix them.

system-cleaner.comodo.com/

Original Poster

csiman;6227149

dont need linkjust run scanpst.exe in C:\Program Files\Microsoft … dont need linkjust run scanpst.exe in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12and then browse to the folder in my earlier post to find OUTLOOK.PST file, then scan & repair italso, install this brilliant free system cleaner to try find the windows errors and it will fix them.http://system-cleaner.comodo.com/

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Banned

Be interested in knowing how he gets on.

Good luck!

Original Poster

I'll post on here how he gets on when i find out myself. Thanks again for help.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win amazing travel prizes including £2000 travel voucher, flights and holid…11
      2. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…77
      4. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33

See more discussions