Expired

Outside Light

Found 1st May
I wonder if anyone can advise me please. I am renting a property for 6 months, very, very windy nights I had been kept awake for 2 nights by something banging outside the bedroom window. I decided to get up and have a look so i could either do something about it next day or I could report it to the agent. Stupidly because I was just so tired I did not ensure the outside door was secured, I thought I had closed it properly. It then was caught by the wind and flew back and broke the casing of the outside light.

I reported it and also during an annual check a few days later the chap reported it as broken. I of course have to pay for it as it was my fault. I was trying to source a replacement, the agent informed the landlady, I clearly said to the agent twice in an email, it was still working but just the casing damaged.

Today I received an invoice for £89.00 for a replacement light, I did then look myself and it was a similar cost elsewhere. I broke it so I am responsible and I did not dispute this. But the instruction from the landlady today along with the invoice was to ask the electrician to swop the new one with a light by the front door and put the old one where the broken one is. I of course have to pay for the electrician.

However the casing is removable and there is absolutely no damage to the main body of the light, it is working okay as I have checked several times.

I was simply going to replace the casing as it does remove from the main body.

Do I have to replace the whole light when the casing simply unscrews?

I have to say I am paying a fortune in rent, they have owed me £74 for overpaid council tax for 4 months and only just paid it to me, despite the agent asking multiple times.

Can anyone advise me please as I am quite upset about it and it is really worrying me. I move out in June and don't want them withhold my security deposit. Incidentally they have done nothing about the noise outside the bedroom so I just have to hope it does not get too windy.

I would really appreciate advice as I have not rented before.

Thank you
Community Updates
AskLight
10 Comments
Even though the casing is removable can you actually buy a casing easily?

depending on the light you can get a standard halogen outdoor pir light for like £15 plus probably £50 for a sparky to fit it (easy job but the landlady will want someone to fit it so they will just pay the cost).

doesnt matter if they owe you money really, you broke it so it needs to be fixed.
I guess it depends on what it says in your lease. The other thing would be is would it would be worth having your deposit withheld for some thing like that? Might be more stress for you than £89. I rent out a property and I wouldn't give a stuff but I'm very laid back and so are my tenants. Their grandson broke the letterbox and they repaired it. The boiler played up and I paid for that.
mds125611 m ago

Even though the casing is removable can you actually buy a casing …Even though the casing is removable can you actually buy a casing easily?depending on the light you can get a standard halogen outdoor pir light for like £15 plus probably £50 for a sparky to fit it (easy job but the landlady will want someone to fit it so they will just pay the cost).doesnt matter if they owe you money really, you broke it so it needs to be fixed.

I did say I will pay for it and I am going to the agent to pay once they have the light, I broke it so I am responsible, I did say that. I appreciate she wants the same lights around the house, however the light is working, the casing removes easily so happy to replace it and I am paying for the light. She refuses to have a different replacement and I did not dispute this as soon as I was asked I agreed. But do I have to pay for another light to be moved from elsewhere?
Edited by: "Rose5" 1st May
Rose530 m ago

I did say I will pay for it and I am going to the agent to pay once they …I did say I will pay for it and I am going to the agent to pay once they have the light, I broke it so I am responsible, I did say that. I appreciate she wants the same lights around the house, however the light is working, the casing removes easily so happy to replace it and I am paying for the light. She refuses to have a different replacement and I did not dispute this as soon as I was asked I agreed. But do I have to pay for another light to be moved from elsewhere?

Get two quotes from the electrician... One to replace the broken one and one for replacement and moving. Then contact the landlord and say ( quite innocently of course) 'how are you going to pay the difference, which is £Xx, or do you want me to deduct that from my rent?'. It is your responsibility to repair to the condition it was before the damage, any extra work should not really fall on your shoulders. Having said that, if it's only £20 or so I would bite the bullet and bank a little goodwill with the landlord.
Edited by: "mrty" 1st May
Rose51 h, 3 m ago

I did say I will pay for it and I am going to the agent to pay once they …I did say I will pay for it and I am going to the agent to pay once they have the light, I broke it so I am responsible, I did say that. I appreciate she wants the same lights around the house, however the light is working, the casing removes easily so happy to replace it and I am paying for the light. She refuses to have a different replacement and I did not dispute this as soon as I was asked I agreed. But do I have to pay for another light to be moved from elsewhere?

You missed my point, I asked can you actually buy the case separate to the light? Without buying the full light anyway
mds125623 m ago

You missed my point, I asked can you actually buy the case separate to the …You missed my point, I asked can you actually buy the case separate to the light? Without buying the full light anyway

Apologies, no I don't believe you can. The landlady has already purchased the light but I have this evening been able to unscrew the broken casing and all the rest of the light is not damaged, and the bulb was not broken. I can easily put in a new bulb and happy to do that.
Edited by: "Rose5" 1st May
Rose51 h, 7 m ago

Apologies, no I don't believe you can. The landlady has already purchased …Apologies, no I don't believe you can. The landlady has already purchased the light but I have this evening been able to unscrew the broken casing and all the rest of the light is not damaged, and the bulb was not broken. I can easily put in a new bulb and happy to do that.

Outdoor lights are normally sealed against the weather, any damage to the casing requires a full replacement, otherwise next time you have some bad weather it will be tripping the electrics. I would have looked for a replacement and just fitted it myself and not said anything.
cmdr_elito1 h, 9 m ago

Outdoor lights are normally sealed against the weather, any damage to the …Outdoor lights are normally sealed against the weather, any damage to the casing requires a full replacement, otherwise next time you have some bad weather it will be tripping the electrics. I would have looked for a replacement and just fitted it myself and not said anything.

I did try to find the same light but could not and perhaps I am too honest as I did not want to lie about it. I feel I have been very patient and a good tenant, despite issues that I have asked about not being acted on. They had owed me money for months but had not paid it to me, it is not the amount it is the principle of being fair. Even before I moved in they tried to get an increase in the rent from what was advertised. I have to say it has been an experience I will not be repeating.
Rose56 h, 1 m ago

I did try to find the same light but could not and perhaps I am too honest …I did try to find the same light but could not and perhaps I am too honest as I did not want to lie about it. I feel I have been very patient and a good tenant, despite issues that I have asked about not being acted on. They had owed me money for months but had not paid it to me, it is not the amount it is the principle of being fair. Even before I moved in they tried to get an increase in the rent from what was advertised. I have to say it has been an experience I will not be repeating.

I have rented before and it was not a good experience, if you can afford it you are better off buying a place even if it is only part rent part buy, it puts you more in control. Having said that life doesn’t always allow for this, maybe you have moved area for a job which is temporary, on a low income or work is uncertain (at risk).

Not all landlords are bad but a large majority are in it for the money thanks to previous generous tax relief and limited rights for tenants, many jumped into the market expecting great returns. That will change over time as much of these have been removed making it, less profitable and more difficult for landlords not to provide the basics. I have found in the past that often it’s the agents that are the problem and not the landlords, messages or problems aren’t passed on in a timely manner.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 2nd May
Why are you paying them for council tax? You pay that directly to the council it will be in your name, if it's in their name then they are responsible for it.

Also you should only have to pay to repair the damage not for a complete new light unless there was no replacement.
Why should you have to pay for another light to be moved - sounds like they are adding that in just to get it done at the same time.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants