Groups

outside power supply question

Hi people i want to ask a question about outside power, im thinking of having a hottub in the near furture and its a 13amp plug and play so normal socket.
    My question is i have double outside socket which i need to install but cause its double and the hottub alone is 13amp what cable would i need 3 core 1.5mm or 2.5mm ?outdoor cable it will be put undergroumd before the patio and it will be wire direct to fuse board which will be rcd protected.
    Please let me no asap
    thanks in advance

11 Comments

It might be a 13 amp plug, but it's the current drawn that you need to know. What is the KW of the hot tub? I am already thinking 2.5mm cable - but safety first for 'wet' electricity!

Original Poster

2kw-2.5 i believe. I was thinking 2.5mm 3 core rubber flex pond wire the plug will be in socket locked and hot tub comes with 15ft cable which be good 2 metres away from this storm proof socket to be safe

If the tub is specified for use from a standard domestic 13A socket, minimum general requirement is outdoor waterproof plug socket with RCD protection. However swimming pool regulations are likely to apply, especially if choosing to bury the cable, which may then imply "permanent installation" competency requirement of installation by qualified electrician, unless you choose to ignore. I accept my non-pro knowledge is not great in this area, but sufficient to question the suggested methodology.

Original Poster

Thanks ill have it all done by electician but looking at buying parts and just after the labour side.
    This will be fixed approx 2m away from hot tub only thing need to no if 2.5mm and if it needs to be rubber pond cable ok or armoured cable?this will be underground (patio) from the shed which will be installed a new fuse board with rcd protection on this already. Hope this is clear?

sme24185

Thanks ill have it all done by electician but looking at buying parts and … Thanks ill have it all done by electician but looking at buying parts and just after the labour side.This will be fixed approx 2m away from hot tub only thing need to no if 2.5mm and if it needs to be rubber pond cable ok or armoured cable?this will be underground (patio) from the shed which will be installed a new fuse board with rcd protection on this already. Hope this is clear?

Surely you ask the electrician to identify what cable and parts that are to be certified, then buy what the electrician advises?

Original Poster

Yes but early days yet just though be best to buy stuff first and see whats what after

Armoured, min 2.5, 3 core,IP 65 min enclouser, rcd protected would be my choice. Your leccy will/should tell you which parts to buy.
    Edited by: "Flynn.Jack" 14th Apr

sme24185

Yes but early days yet just though be best to buy stuff first and see … Yes but early days yet just though be best to buy stuff first and see whats what after

​How is that best? Surely 'best' would be see what's what then get the stuff!

cable-ratings.co.uk/
    Third table down is what u need
    Max load on a double socket would not exceed 26 amps. Table shows it can be done in 1.5. Best to confirm it with your electrician. Also depends on how far you socket is installed from the consummer unit as you will factor in the voltage drop per meter.
    Edited by: "refix" 14th Apr

sme24185

Yes but early days yet just though be best to buy stuff first and see … Yes but early days yet just though be best to buy stuff first and see whats what after

Bad move.

Consult your electrician first, explain your happy to purchase the materials and are looking for the labour only cost.

Bear in mind, your electrician will most likely be able to purchase the materials cheaper than you..

Most tradesman will be happier buying there own materials though, keeps there popularity with the suppliers, equalling bigger discounts/incentives and more importantly they will stick with brands they know and rely on.

Nothing to stop you getting a couple of electricians in for quotes though...

BUT

ballpark figures I'm guessing your after so ;

Steel Wired Armour cable, 3core 2.5mm, £19.10/10 mtrs @ Screwfix here

Gland pack for above around £7-8.

Clips for above £3-4

30ma RCD, from £20+ @ Screwfix (exiting consumer unit depending of course) here

Exterior Waterproof Socket, from £8.99 @ Screwfix here

Materials only can vary from £50 to well over £100, as above, tradesman often keep to certain manufacturers, i.e. an MK Masterseal Exterior Double Switched socket is around £40.

Edited by: "andynicol" 15th Apr
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. PS4 Deal @ GAME33
      2. BT Sport Vs SkySports34
      3. Nike Apple Watch 42mm11
      4. Has any one used http://www.tobydeals.com?107200

See more discussions