Expired

outside security lights help please

19 replies
Found 13th Dec 2016
Hi some of you may remember back in October motorbike was stolen from back garden....since then I've really not been sleeping well, looked into alarms and decided on adt ( yes alot of you hate them ) but alot of neighbours have them here so getting that done. but really want a security light out there like neighbour has, one with a pir sensor, want it bright so need to check which wattage theirs is....but based on a say 20 x 20 ft garden which wattage would you say would nice and bright to hit anyone in my garden ???? won't be positioned to annoy neighbours, just hit garden.

be great full for any advice.

( also looking into cctv again just to cover garden not spy on neighbours.... )

thank you

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
19 Comments

hi you need to go by lumens not wattage and get a decent led one

selection here

I have a couple of 10W LED's, 1 on each gable, and find them ample, not overly bright but enough to see the garden without being too annoying for the neighbours.

As a rough indication, the 20w LED's are approx equiv IMO to a 500w tungsten halogen, but, as said above, lumens is the figure to look at, LED's vary considerably.

Edited by: "andynicol" 13th Dec 2016

You could get a halogen probably cheapest (500w, maybe 250watts) but they'll use more electric. LED ones as the more recent technology will be more expensive but cheaper to run. Don't know what spec for LED though. You could look on Amazon, Ebay, Screwfix, B & Q, CPC Farnell etc.

As long as it is positioned centrally i would just have a decent quality 500w halogen floodlight with built in pir.
Make sure there are no branches etc which blow about in the wind or heat sources ie boiler flue in the sight of the sensor as these can cause nuisance triggering of the light.

500w halogen c/w PIR are around £8, replacement tubes around £1.50 each.

20w LED c/w PIR around £22.

LED every time for me.

amazon.co.uk/Qua…led

I have a 30w LED pir (like above) in my back garden which is 12m by 9m, the light is angled to cover the whole garden and it lights it up really well, the neighbour often tells me when a fox/cat has been in the garden and activated the light (he has dogs which react to the light or movement).

Definitely go for led

Slightly off-topic but have you thought about gravel in the garden ? The thieving scum avoid at all costs as it makes to much noise to cross.

Back to lights now, good luck

When you say you have decided on ADT, Have you had a quote from a few local companies? All adt are interested in is signing you upto a 3/5 year contract at £20+ per month, I can almost guarantee that you would get a much better system installed by a reputable local company.

On security lights, try a 30w LED sensor activated light. Or if you want to completely blind anyone in the near vicinity go for a 50w one,

Can you put a gate up ? Anything to make your garden more difficult than the neighbours to access . Thieves tried to break in through my front door a couple of weeks ago so I know how disturbing it can be

Original Poster

PKRichie

Slightly off-topic but have you thought about gravel in the garden ? The … Slightly off-topic but have you thought about gravel in the garden ? The thieving scum avoid at all costs as it makes to much noise to cross.Back to lights now, good luck

​that is a really good idea,thanks. should be okay to do a border of gravel inside of fence shouldn't it? as 4 kids wouldn't want to have it all gravel. thanks again did not even think of gravel

Original Poster

jordanb

When you say you have decided on ADT, Have you had a quote from a few … When you say you have decided on ADT, Have you had a quote from a few local companies? All adt are interested in is signing you upto a 3/5 year contract at £20+ per month, I can almost guarantee that you would get a much better system installed by a reputable local company.

​hi yeah we contacted a few, but want 600 upfront. plus as adt is monitored it does work as a deterrent as a call can be made to listed numbers on adt within seconds/ police called. thank you for message.

Original Poster

hi guys my neighbour has this one back and
front, set on the sensor. lights up bit of my garden when goes on but does not bother us in other ways. so will probably go for the same.

homebase.co.uk/en/…270

i got 20watt solar panel security lights and put up in a mates garden, seems ok

Original Poster

actually been looking at the yale 6000 series alarms now, they can also set 3 numbers to call in case of being triggered. anyone else got this ??? love to hear if any good as is alot cheaper then adt....as under 90 where adt 99 then no monthly for yale where as adt want 27 a month for 3 years. bit worried after 3 yrs how much monthly shoots up by. wouldn't of considered yale if not been for you guys so thank you so so much

irishbaby

hi guys my neighbour has this one back and front, set on the sensor. … hi guys my neighbour has this one back and front, set on the sensor. lights up bit of my garden when goes on but does not bother us in other ways. so will probably go for the same. http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/120w-anti-light-pollution-pir-floodlight---black-536270

I wouldn't bother with this light. You always be changing the bulbs. Go with a led floodlight you can buy them from eBay for less than £20 or toolstation for £35.
toolstation.com/sho…=no

Also look into these outdoor pir with sounders. So you will know if anyone is on your property. m.ebay.co.uk/itm…RCH

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell

Can you put a gate up ? Anything to make your garden more difficult than … Can you put a gate up ? Anything to make your garden more difficult than the neighbours to access . Thieves tried to break in through my front door a couple of weeks ago so I know how disturbing it can be

​we have a 6ft fence with a gate

irishbaby

​hi yeah we contacted a few, but want 600 upfront. plus as adt is m … ​hi yeah we contacted a few, but want 600 upfront. plus as adt is monitored it does work as a deterrent as a call can be made to listed numbers on adt within seconds/ police called. thank you for message.

Hi they should be able to offer a monitored system also, trust me when I say this, ADT are not worth the money, how much do they want per month and how long is the contract? They tempt you in with a £99 install and around £25 per month for at least 3 years(unless it has changed)
25 x 12 =300 per year

X 3 =£900 for 3 years, plus £99 install, so just under £1000 for the pleasure.

Local company should be able to beat that easy.
Also look into an alarm with a text or speach dialler, no monitoring fees and if your alarm activates you and nominated numbers can receive a text or a phone call to alert.
I have saw some interesting ADT installs in the past, I used to work with a company who did subby work for them, a favourite was a door contact on rear door, a shock on kitchen window and one on rear living window, some one could kick the front door in, and would have full run of the house without activating alarm.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Will iPad 2 iOS update slows it down?11
    2. Whey protien631
    3. Invisalign dental braces in London33
    4. PayPal Friends and Family Payment reversal options32

See more discussions