Oven recommendations

Posted 17th Nov
Hello all!

I’m looking for a new oven. It’s one that goes under the worktop, currently I have an oven with 2 shelves, and a separate grill. I’d always maintained that single ovens with a built in have useless grills. However, this is based on an oven I had about 12 years ago in a rented property- so maybe I am being a bit silly?!?

So my questions are-
Which is best, built in grill or separate?
I just cooked a roast and got really frustrated having to balance everything on 2 shelves!
Does a built in grill mean you have more oven space?

And any recommendations of a cheap option? (We may move, or change the kitchen next year but the oven is unlikely to last that long)

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
For your questions - it depends on your use.
It you want to grill something (meat) while baking something at the same time, it’s handy having them separate. Personally, separate gives more flexibility. If you live off oven meals, it won’t make much difference.
Having a separate grill may make the oven smaller or it might not, it depends on how much space you have and which model you go for.
ktm66617/11/2019 17:37

For your questions - it depends on your use. It you want to grill …For your questions - it depends on your use. It you want to grill something (meat) while baking something at the same time, it’s handy having them separate. Personally, separate gives more flexibility. If you live off oven meals, it won’t make much difference. Having a separate grill may make the oven smaller or it might not, it depends on how much space you have and which model you go for.

Thank you, I wouldn’t tend to grill and bake together. I suppose the only time i use them at the same time is for a fry up (sausages and hash brown in the oven, bacon in the grill) can you use the grill and the oven at the same time for that occasion?
If you want to save on cleaning get a pyrolytic (heats up really high and burns away the grease beautifully). I find my built in grill within the single.oven gives me much more space rather than two compartments. Also this will save you time and energy every week in cleaning.
Built in ovens do not always have useless grills, depends on the model and element etc.
It's just restricting as you can't oven/grill at the same time properly, we have managed for 15 years with a built in oven and grill but I would prefer a double with seperate grill, alas there is not the room.
So don't discount a normal under counter oven/grill, do some research and look at reviews etc, also look how easy the elements are to replace. Keeps future costs down.

Antoher option is stick with the under counter oven/grill and get a counter top halogen oven or decent microwave with grill, gives you several options.
Amaise17/11/2019 18:56

If you want to save on cleaning get a pyrolytic (heats up really high and …If you want to save on cleaning get a pyrolytic (heats up really high and burns away the grease beautifully). I find my built in grill within the single.oven gives me much more space rather than two compartments. Also this will save you time and energy every week in cleaning.

Oh I like this idea! Thank you
SaltyExpert17/11/2019 19:15

Built in ovens do not always have useless grills, depends on the model and …Built in ovens do not always have useless grills, depends on the model and element etc.It's just restricting as you can't oven/grill at the same time properly, we have managed for 15 years with a built in oven and grill but I would prefer a double with seperate grill, alas there is not the room.So don't discount a normal under counter oven/grill, do some research and look at reviews etc, also look how easy the elements are to replace. Keeps future costs down.Antoher option is stick with the under counter oven/grill and get a counter top halogen oven or decent microwave with grill, gives you several options.

Thank you, that’s a really good point, I have a combo microwave that I’ve never learnt to use
haybr17/11/2019 20:22

Thank you, that’s a really good point, I have a combo microwave that I’ve n …Thank you, that’s a really good point, I have a combo microwave that I’ve never learnt to use

We had the same but was forced to learn how to use it when the oven element decided to give up at a very bad time, think it was a family meal night when we had a ton of cooking to do.
It did the job though
SaltyExpert17/11/2019 20:23

We had the same but was forced to learn how to use it when the oven …We had the same but was forced to learn how to use it when the oven element decided to give up at a very bad time, think it was a family meal night when we had a ton of cooking to do.It did the job though

I’ll do that- it might make the decision much easier! Thank you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants