Groups

Overclocking AMD Athlon 64 3200+

How do I overclock my AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor?

512mb RAM
    160GB Hard Drive
    MSI MS-7184 (AmethystM) motherboard

3 Comments

Is this a Compaq/HP machine? As far as I can tell that's not a retail motherboard, generally OEM motherboards do not have overclocking options in the bios.

The speed of a processor is basically the FSB x multiplier (it's slightly different for AMD64 but easier to explain it this way) I'm guessing you have a socket 939 3200 with dual channel which means it's probably running at 200x10 = 2Ghz. Most processors have their multiplier locked which means to overclock it you have to increase the memory speed - if you push it up to 220x10 that would give you 2.2Ghz.

You need to look in the bios for something like memory clock speed, it should be currently set to 200Mhz if you have DDR400 ram. I would be very surprised if this option exists and even if it does these sort of systems are not designed for overclocking so there isn't much tolerance on the motherboard or ram plus there's normally no locks either which allows the AGP/PCI system to run out of spec and cause other issues.

John

Original Poster

Its a Compaq/HP machine

In which case the above probably applies...

John
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211

See more discussions