Expired

Overtaking & speed limit

Found 18th Feb
Anyone know what the rules are in regards to overtaking and the speed limit?
i.e. can you go up to 10% over the speed limit in order to overtake somebody, or will you definitely get done if clocked going even slightly over the limit whilst doing so?

For example, in a 30mph limit, a car in front is doing 25mph, so you decide to overtake it. Would the law have a different view if you were doing 32mph rather than say 35mph when overtaking - or would both be regarded as breaking the law regardless?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
ROSPA

No. You still shouldn't go over the speed limit to overtake.

Just pay the fine and accept the points.
Edited by: "SJHan" 18th Feb
40 Comments
ROSPA

No. You still shouldn't go over the speed limit to overtake.

Just pay the fine and accept the points.
Edited by: "SJHan" 18th Feb
Speeding is speeding, overtaking doesn't exempt anyone from that.
someone needs to resit their theory and test it would seem

in short pay the fine and do some reading
Edited by: "mattsk" 18th Feb
If someone is going 25mph in a 30 you have to be able to overtake while going 30 or slower, which to be honest in most 30s would be seriously unsafe, they are 30 for a reason.

In a residential area when turning left out of a junction a few times I have check right last to make sure no one is going to come up behind me and then from the left some idiot is deciding to overtake so I coming from the left of me in the lane I am about to join.

You really shouldnt be overtaking in a 30 unless it's very very slow or a bike, it's that speed due to people crossing the road, built up area etc.
Original Poster
mattsk16 m ago

someone needs to resit their theory and test it would seemin short pay the …someone needs to resit their theory and test it would seemin short pay the fine and do some reading

Why on earth would you say that?
I thought you had a bit of a buffer due to inacurrancies in Speedometers. I guess 32-33 wouldn't be flagged.
Original Poster
kester762 m ago

I thought you had a bit of a buffer due to inacurrancies in Speedometers. …I thought you had a bit of a buffer due to inacurrancies in Speedometers. I guess 32-33 wouldn't be flagged.

Is pretty much my view, but not that of some of my associates.
Bestard16 m ago

Why on earth would you say that?

because clearly you have no clue about speed limits and overtaking rules....
but let me ask you a question....
you drive on a single lane road in a built up area.... there is a police car in front of you driving at 25mph. There is an oncoming car visible but fairly far away.
would you overtake?
if so how fast would you drive to complete the manouver?
You can be done for going 1mph over the limit, In the eyes of the law if you're exceeding the limit you can be done for it.
The 10% +2 is a guideline, not rule and some forces will enforce it, some won't because of device not being 100% accurate.
My town has a 30mph duel carriageway, nobody sticks to 30 on it, but that is very different to a 30mph single carfiageway residential road.

In terms of law of law both would be breaking the limit, no matter how stupid the 30 duel carriageway is...
ItWasNotMe52 m ago

You can be done for going 1mph over the limit, In the eyes of the law if …You can be done for going 1mph over the limit, In the eyes of the law if you're exceeding the limit you can be done for it.The 10% +2 is a guideline, not rule and some forces will enforce it, some won't because of device not being 100% accurate.

10% +2 is the guidelines for non police (E.g fixed cameras) which you will not get punished under. Get a trained cop with equipment, 1mph can get you done.

In short, either drive at or below speed limit, or accept the punishment when you're knowingly exceeding the speed limit (which I have had to do in the past). You're only allowed to speed to avoid danger, but you'll almost never prove it - and if overtaking is dangerous, go slower and don't overtake.
It's a speed 'limit', not a sped 'target'. Why would you bother overtaking somebody at that speed, need to get to the next set of traffic lights that desperately?
Original Poster
mattsk1 h, 24 m ago

because clearly you have no clue about speed limits and overtaking …because clearly you have no clue about speed limits and overtaking rules.... but let me ask you a question....you drive on a single lane road in a built up area.... there is a police car in front of you driving at 25mph. There is an oncoming car visible but fairly far away.would you overtake?if so how fast would you drive to complete the manouver?

I understand from your avatar that you see yourself as a troll, hence I will assume all your comments are just attempts at trolling.
Why else would someone stretch to strange conclusions based on pretty much nothing in my original question?
Bestard2 m ago

I understand from your avatar that you see yourself as a troll, hence I …I understand from your avatar that you see yourself as a troll, hence I will assume all your comments are just attempts at trolling.Why else would someone stretch to strange conclusions based on pretty much nothing in my original question?

I guess you know what a troll is, you're question is ...am I breaking the law by breaking the law...answer yes, check the rules and then take the punishment if you get caught.
Original Poster
Shengis25 m ago

It's a speed 'limit', not a sped 'target'. Why would you bother overtaking …It's a speed 'limit', not a sped 'target'. Why would you bother overtaking somebody at that speed, need to get to the next set of traffic lights that desperately?

No idea.
I was looking for views on whether the law would see 32 and 35 as both being over the speed limit, even when overtaking.
Not quite sure why a number of people seem to feel I've been done for speeding or am considering speeding up a single lane road full of grannies and infants and all sorts of dangers or something.
Bestard14 m ago

No idea. I was looking for views on whether the law would see 32 and 35 as …No idea. I was looking for views on whether the law would see 32 and 35 as both being over the speed limit, even when overtaking.Not quite sure why a number of people seem to feel I've been done for speeding or am considering speeding up a single lane road full of grannies and infants and all sorts of dangers or something.

Reading through this thread and, as a matter of interest, why are you asking this question?
Original Poster
Splodger1012 m ago

Reading through this thread and, as a matter of interest, why are you …Reading through this thread and, as a matter of interest, why are you asking this question?

Was part of an argument with associates last night about at what point would one be allowed to break the speed limit legally, or not as the case may be.
Irrelevant background to be honest.
Edited by: "Bestard" 18th Feb
Bestard17 m ago

No idea. I was looking for views on whether the law would see 32 and 35 as …No idea. I was looking for views on whether the law would see 32 and 35 as both being over the speed limit, even when overtaking.Not quite sure why a number of people seem to feel I've been done for speeding or am considering speeding up a single lane road full of grannies and infants and all sorts of dangers or something.

I'm not assuming, just pointing out that it would be an unnecessary and essentially pointless manoeuvre

Regarding the law, yes illegal. Would you get done, 50/50. More likely if you did it through a camera. Doubt if a police car would give chase however.
Ah, in which case, you might want to seek advice from a lawyer, police etc, etc...or even Google?
Original Poster
Splodger1015 m ago

Ah, in which case, you might want to seek advice from a lawyer, police …Ah, in which case, you might want to seek advice from a lawyer, police etc, etc...or even Google?

The members of HUKD seem to include experts on everything from nuclear weapons to gun control laws to Diane Abbot's state of mind.
Where better to enquire?
Bestard8 m ago

The members of HUKD seem to include experts on everything from nuclear …The members of HUKD seem to include experts on everything from nuclear weapons to gun control laws to Diane Abbot's state of mind.Where better to enquire?

You're clearly trolling and ignoring advice from others as it's not the answer you want
Speeding is speeding regardless of overtaking or not
30 is usually built up areas so probably not wise to overtake anyway
You don't need to be an expert on anything to know that
I actually thought the question was from Joey Essex
When do the kids go back to school........
Original Poster
Bradleigh3 m ago

You're clearly trolling and ignoring advice from others as it's not the …You're clearly trolling and ignoring advice from others as it's not the answer you wantSpeeding is speeding regardless of overtaking or not30 is usually built up areas so probably not wise to overtake anywayYou don't need to be an expert on anything to know thatI actually thought the question was from Joey Essex When do the kids go back to school........

You stay away from my kids...

Anyway, a couple of users here managed to provide me with their views, so for me the question has been answered.
i.e. going over the limit, even when overtaking is breaking the law, but depending on how much over the limit you were going, you may not actually get done.
At least that's what I'm getting from reading the answers that didn't bang on about paying speeding fines and suchlike.
Original Poster
I see there is no way to pick a top answer or vote against answers. I suppose this must have changed as part of the overhaul of the site.

I'll try and expire this instead.

EDIT: expiring seems to have worked.
Edited by: "Bestard" 18th Feb
Bestard2 h, 6 m ago

I understand from your avatar that you see yourself as a troll, hence I …I understand from your avatar that you see yourself as a troll, hence I will assume all your comments are just attempts at trolling.Why else would someone stretch to strange conclusions based on pretty much nothing in my original question?

I wonder if being a troll got him suspended
Is Motorway driving in the outer lane exempt ?
Shengis2 h, 47 m ago

It's a speed 'limit', not a sped 'target'. Why would you bother overtaking …It's a speed 'limit', not a sped 'target'. Why would you bother overtaking somebody at that speed, need to get to the next set of traffic lights that desperately?

Some people just want to go the maximum available, and aren't afraid of oncoming traffic on the opposite side of the road (most common symptom of slow drivers)

Also, take your mentality of getting to the lights quicker, and shove in back in to the Generic Response Machine XL2000. If I overtake someone, it's not to get somewhere faster, it is always to enjoy the road I am on.

If I have some pleb going 5-25 below the limit on a lovely B Road, I will overtake just so I can have some fun. The Citroën Berlingo can then potter along going 35 in a 50 all it wants, selfishy oblivious to the train of cars following it.
Edited by: "darkstryder360" 18th Feb
darkstryder36012 m ago

Some people just want to go the maximum available, and aren't afraid of …Some people just want to go the maximum available, and aren't afraid of oncoming traffic on the opposite side of the road (most common symptom of slow drivers) Also, take your mentality of getting to the lights quicker, and shove in back in to the Generic Response Machine XL2000. If I overtake someone, it's not to get somewhere faster, it is always to enjoy the road I am on. If I have some pleb going 5-25 below the limit on a lovely B Road, I will overtake just so I can have some fun. The Citroën Berlingo can then potter along going 35 in a 50 all it wants, selfishy oblivious to the train of cars following it.

You forgot to add the thrill and feeling of accomplishment of overtaking somebody doing 25.........
Shengis6 m ago

You forgot to add the thrill and feeling of accomplishment of overtaking …You forgot to add the thrill and feeling of accomplishment of overtaking somebody doing 25.........

Its about future planning. If you know there are roads coming up that are going to be spoilt...
kester768 h, 11 m ago

I thought you had a bit of a buffer due to inacurrancies in Speedometers. …I thought you had a bit of a buffer due to inacurrancies in Speedometers. I guess 32-33 wouldn't be flagged.

No, your speedo can over read by as much as 10% but can't under read by any margin. No excuse. It is rumoured that the police and cameras are configured to allow 10% +2mph but they don't have to allow any discretion and you could still be done for doing 31 in a 30 if they didn't like you ;).
Edited by: ".MUFC." 18th Feb
so you break the law and overtake, you end up in front of the car 2 or 3 seconds ahead of where you was, or you carry on speeding get further ahead only for them to catch you up at the next set of lights or junction either way you look like a complete t!t
Original Poster
ding1 h, 7 m ago

so you break the law and overtake, you end up in front of the car 2 or 3 …so you break the law and overtake, you end up in front of the car 2 or 3 seconds ahead of where you was, or you carry on speeding get further ahead only for them to catch you up at the next set of lights or junction either way you look like a complete t!t

Speak for yourself mate.
Bestard21 h, 49 m ago

Was part of an argument with associates last night about at what point …Was part of an argument with associates last night about at what point would one be allowed to break the speed limit legally, or not as the case may be.Irrelevant background to be honest.

There is no reason anyone is allowed to break the speed limit - it’s black and white. There are however accepted mitigating circumstances, although in which case, you’d need to plead guilty to speeding then give your mitigating circumstances and the magistrates may then take them into account and not give you a penalty. One of the mitigating factors I can think of off the top of my head is threat to life - ie you are transporting someone who is in need of urgent medical attention to a hospital.
In answer to your question, speeding is speeding, whether it’s 1mph over or 100mph, whether it’s over taking or going down hill or for any other reason.
lol lol lol

the old 10% thing went about 10 years ago and seen the news lately about they want to give you ticket for 1 mph over the limit?

i have 18inch wheels on my car that used to be 16 inch, yet my speedo is less then what tomtom or phone says

example, 70mph on motorway, tomtom 68mph and phone speed says 67 mph

gov.uk/gui…203

Can you go over the speed limit to pass a car?
(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law: PROVIDED, That a person following a vehicle driving at less than the legal maximum speed and desiring to pass ...10 Oct 2014
if you are over the speed limit it is breaking the law this inc overtaking.
You should only over take if it is safe 2 do so and not break the speed limit.
gatwick201828 m ago

lol lol lol the old 10% thing went about 10 years ago and seen the news …lol lol lol the old 10% thing went about 10 years ago and seen the news lately about they want to give you ticket for 1 mph over the limit?i have 18inch wheels on my car that used to be 16 inch, yet my speedo is less then what tomtom or phone saysexample, 70mph on motorway, tomtom 68mph and phone speed says 67 mphhttps://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203Can you go over the speed limit to pass a car?(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law: PROVIDED, That a person following a vehicle driving at less than the legal maximum speed and desiring to pass ...10 Oct 2014

You also know it also depends on your car most cars wile doing 30MPH are doing 30MPH. when the same car shows 70MPH it is doing 67/8MPH,

GPS also is always going to be out my 2-5mph cos of the lag

Top Gear done a show about it. and mythbusters done the same kinda thing,

Also 16 to 18" does not make much of a difference to the speedo. as this also depends on the tyres. as you may find on your 16 you had big tyres and on you 18" you may have low profiles.

also what i also like about car if you buy a 2.0L it is only 1995/1998CC and not 2000CC
Edited by: "djmackie2000" 19th Feb
yes i think is a speedo thing to stop you getting tickets lol
gatwick201846 m ago

lol lol lol the old 10% thing went about 10 years ago and seen the news …lol lol lol the old 10% thing went about 10 years ago and seen the news lately about they want to give you ticket for 1 mph over the limit?i have 18inch wheels on my car that used to be 16 inch, yet my speedo is less then what tomtom or phone saysexample, 70mph on motorway, tomtom 68mph and phone speed says 67 mphhttps://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203Can you go over the speed limit to pass a car?(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law: PROVIDED, That a person following a vehicle driving at less than the legal maximum speed and desiring to pass ...10 Oct 2014

In that case your car is probably under reading so is illegal, Shouldn't pass an MOT etc however they don't always check ;).

You need to get your car recalibrated.
better to be under than over (thats what she said)
a few years ago this was covered in our local newspaper where a policeman from the north east was driving through cumbria and being picked up by a talivan was sent a ticket
he decided to go to court with the magistrates to voice his opinion that it was unfair as his own force followed the guidelines of national 10%+2 over the post limit but the magistrates begged to differ and found him guilty to doing 34 in a 30 zone ..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants